imac Bootup problems

mcdermott_c

My Imac (new silver model) has recently started playing up during bootup. the mac is under 1 yr old and was bought from the apple refurb shop.

Basically sometimes when i press the power button the mac does not boot instead it does one of the following....

1. Starts to boot up fans come on but screen says at grey bootup screen and i get 3 beeps that keeps repeating

2. Starts to boot but fan doesnt come on (i think) and the screen remains black and no beeps

On a PC 3 beeps normally means bad RAM - but i have upgraded the ram recently and it still seems to do this every now and again. Its weird as you can boot it up several times without any problem and then for what appears to be no reason it get problems. If i completly power off and switch back on after several attempts it usually starts to work.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice about i go about getting Apple to fix this (is its covered by the standard warranty ?)

thanks

chris

Tenex

Distinguished Member
I think I'd be inclined to remove and reseat the RAM as you've had it open but if that doesn't work try resetting the SMC and then if that doesn't work call Apple.

3 beeps = No RAM banks passed memory testing

Last edited:

mcdermott_c

I think I'd be inclined to remove and reseat the RAM as you've had it open but if that doesn't work try resetting the SMC and then if that doesn't work call Apple.

Thanks Tenex

is the SMC the same as PRAM ? i read somewhere it might be any idea to flush this ?

cheers

Tenex

Distinguished Member
Its the SMC on the Intel models and the PRAM on the PPC from memory. Hope it works out, let us know.

mcdermott_c

Its the SMC on the Intel models and the PRAM on the PPC from memory. Hope it works out, let us know.

i c ! thanks will give it a go and let you know how i get on. Was thinking about wiping the mac and starting fresh with a dualboot xp/osx setup

Tenex

Distinguished Member
If you're anywhere near the end of your warranty (buy AppleCare!) I'd suggest getting it in front of an Apple Genius ASAP if you continue to have problems.

MrSossidge

Distinguished Member
If you've recently upgraded the RAM like you say then I'd suggest you have a quick check just to make sure it is seated securely.

Or try putting one of your original chips back in (if you still have them) to see if it makes a difference.

mcdermott_c

If you've recently upgraded the RAM like you say then I'd suggest you have a quick check just to make sure it is seated securely.

Or try putting one of your original chips back in (if you still have them) to see if it makes a difference.

thanks sossidge

The problem started before i upgraded the RAM. That was part of thes reason i upgraded thinking it may be faulty RAM and partly because i wanted my mac to fly with 4GB of ram !

Tenex proba got about 6mths warranty left assuming you get 12 month standard warranty with a mac purchase

Tenex

Distinguished Member
If you're still having problems call it in before you start to lose data.

Oh and backup, backup, backup! ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom