Quantcast

iMAC audio - how to connect it to my power amp?

thestorm

Hey all

I have an iMac and would like to connect it to my Samson Servo power amp.
(pic of the amp attached)

will this cable do? :
Mini*Jack*3.5mm*Male*to*2x*RCA*Phono*Audio*Lead*(1.5M)*-*Cables...

it needs to go into the the top pair of ports on the right of the amp.

I will be using my mac for music production and I'm trying to avoid buying a external sound interface until i really need it.

Cheers

Attachments

magoo1

Novice Member
thestorm said:
Hey all

I have an iMac and would like to connect it to my Samson Servo power amp.
(pic of the amp attached)

will this cable do? :
Mini*Jack*3.5mm*Male*to*2x*RCA*Phono*Audio*Lead*(1.5M)*-*Cables...

it needs to go into the the top pair of ports on the right of the amp.

I will be using my mac for music production and I'm trying to avoid buying a external sound interface until i really need it.

Cheers
That'll do just fine! Shouldn't be any problem at all

davemackenzie

Novice Member
Spot on :) There was recently an article about sound production regarding computers, with the current chipsets that come with computers - most of the time you don't need an external audio device, Only when you're going to be inputting music sources that it should be necessary etc :)

thestorm

gkpm

Novice Member
I agree. While the digital side of the audio interface is fine on modern computers, everything from the DAC onwards leaves a lot to be desired due to design, cost and filtering constraints.

If you want something in the meantime that will improve the output for not much cost, have a look at an external DAC such as the FiiO D3:

FiiO D3 Coaxial/Optical to R/L Audio Converter (DAC) in Black
or
FiiO D3 Coaxial/Optical to R/L DAC Audio Converter: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Costs ~ £22-25 delivered.

It uses the well rated Wolfson WM8805 DAC chip and takes optical or coaxial input.

Then just get a mini TOSlink to standard TOSLink optical cable in your desired length to connect it to your iMac, like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro-TosLink-Optical-Suitable-MacBook/dp/B004IUI9IS/

Total cost: about £30 (plus a straight male RCA cable to connect the DAC to your amp, if you don't have one)

Last edited: