iMac and Yosemite

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by mikeburns, Jun 23, 2015.

1. mikeburns

mikeburns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I’ve had an iMac for around 5 years now, it’s been good but since the Yosemite update its now running dog slow, I’ve done some searches and taken the advice on methods to speed it up, but it’s still pretty slow. I’m looking for advise on if should accept that it’s now 5 years old, technology moves on and buy a new one or is it worth getting new RAM etc and trying to sort out what the problem is? Any advice would be most welcome.

Many thanks

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,549
    You'd have to ask in the mac forum about whether Yosemite was a particular performance hog but I wouldn't expect a five year old machine to be particularly slow unless it was a low end one that lacked memory (4-8GB is about what you want right now) or had a slow hard drive.

Looking up the specs it appears the Mid-2010 model comes with a 7200rpm drive and 4GB of memory as standard which shouldn't be annoying slow most of the time, although it wouldn't be too hard to run over 4GB of memory in some programs. My suspicion is that it's a bad upgrade or a bug. Was one of the things you tried a reinstall?

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,543
    I didn't start using a Mac until Yosemite, well I did my Mac training on Mavericks but Yosemite was out by then. I did upgrade a couple of our Mac Pro's to Yosemite though and had no reports from the users that performance was any slower. So I don't think it is an OS specific issue.

An old HDD could be failing, or if running several programs at once you could be running low on RAM. But you should check the (OSX equivalent to Task Manager) Activity Monitor (Launchpad > Other) to see what resources are running low. No point upgrading RAM if that is not being used up.

Mark.

4. mikeburns

mikeburns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Thanks ever such a lot for the feedback, I've given the Mac a 8 gig memory upgrade but still the same issue, what I have noticed is that it runs fine when its not connected to the network, so I'm going to try and update the network drivers.

Thanks again.