iMac 20" (2007) Clicking Issue

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by ShayKaPow, Feb 26, 2013.

1. ShayKaPow

ShayKaPow
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I have iMac 20" (2007) model.

I have come across 4 problems with this iMac now.

Random clicking sound, sounds like it's coming from the screen or something. Done a hard drive test using the Disk Utility. Says Verified for S.M.A.R.T. Done Verify and Repair and it states OK.

Sometimes randomly the whole system will freeze but the mouse will be moveable but nothing can not be clicked as it won't respond. So I have to power off holding the power button.

Opened Safari and all of a sudden screen went black. Pressed keyboard buttons, moved mouse nothing worked. Screen still black.

Once I turned the iMac on it made the chime sound in beginning but screen was black. Had to hold power button and turn it off and then powered it on and it started working like normally.

I've done smc and pram reset.
    I am guessing it's the hard drive that's coming to it's last breath?

2. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,063
    Have you a back up?

3. MiiCK90

MiiCK90

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Wow. Quite a few things there so may be a lot to type but i'll give some tips.

Basically it could be a MLB fault and the clicking is coming from the HDD more than likely.

1. If you've checked the S.M.A.R.T Status and it's Verified then there's not much more you can do, apart from Verify/Repair the Disk + Permissions (Macintosh HD). (You could also Erase and Reinstall but would not fix a mechanical fault... Also, run the AHT (Apple Hardware Test), boot holding D and run the extended test)

2. Basically have to troubleshoot this as a slow system, as the steps for that are the same for troubleshooting crashes really. So follow this:

- NVRAM (It's called NVRAM on Mac's with an Intel processor, PRAM is for Power PC's)
    - SMC
    - Install all Software Updates
    - Boot to Safe Mode... (Hold Shift on Startup until you see a progress bar then let go, log in and follow these steps):
    --> Clear:
    ----> /Library/LaunchAgents
    ----> /Library/LaunchDaemons
    ----> /Library/Caches
    ----> /Library/StartupItems
    ----> ~/Library/LaunchAgents ) The ~ means your user folder, so click GO at the top of the screen when in the finder, hold down ALT and click library.
    ----> ~/Library/Caches ) Clear the contents of all of these folders listed, not the folders themselves - Also, the ones with ~ don't require a password to delete, but ones without the '~' do need your user account password.
    ----> System Preferences -> Users and Groups -> Login Items (Remove anything from the white box, don't just untick it)
    --> + Emptied Trash

3. This would tend to indicate a backlight issue or mlb, depends on how often it happens, you could obviously reset Safari (Click safari next to apple, then reset safari, tick all of them and reset. Also, empty cache by doing the same process but unchecking all of them except for 'Remove all website data')

How many times has it went black, is it only in Safari that it happens? How are all your issues in a new user account?

4. If the screen goes totally black again, hold a torch up to the screen and see if you can see something on the screen, if you can, it's definitely MLB (logic board) or backlight or LVDS cable. If not then it's a problem with booting, depends on when the black screen came into action, immediately after power on?

Just to make sure you have done smc/nvram correctly, SMC: Unplug all cables, wait 10 secs and plug just power back in, wait 10 more secs and then turn on. NVRAM: Hold down CMD+ALT+P+R as soon as you let go of the power on button and let go when you hear a 2nd chime.

Hope I've been of some assistance.

4. CamFire

CamFire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    Sounds like corrupted data, read from the HDD, being executed. This is consistent with the clicking noises.

To rule the HDD out, try booting from a external USB HDD, cloned from the internal one. This way you still have a backup.

5. ShayKaPow

ShayKaPow
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Done normal test and extended test. All reported fine with no erros.
    Extended test took about 1hr, 5minutes or so.

Done. Still makes random click noise after reboot but sometimes it goes away and the comes back again.

This happend twice, once when using Safari. The other time when I turned the iMac on. Since then it not happened any more.

Done the SMC/NVRAM correctly.

What I'm thinking is might as well put it on fleabay LOL
    List the fault, should easily get around £300 or higher maybe.

Going to invest in a AMD A6 laptop with Windows 8.
    Time for a change. Also going to use Kingston SSD in the laptop.

Thanks for your help :)
    Appreciated.