I'm Turning Japanese

Dancook

Distinguished Member
I really think so...

I just polished off a large bowl of ramen! mmmm

One thing led to another and I had a look for a new ramen recipe..
Miso Ramen Recipe | Easy Asian Recipes at RasaMalaysia.com

I want to start buying more authentic ingredients without making it too difficult to make at work...

Also I'd like to try some Saki, different ones.

Can anyone recommend some Saki, or an online Japanese food store?

Thanks

Last edited:

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
For some of us familiar with a song by the vapours, this means something completely different......

Bill Hicks

Banned
Thanks for the heads up guys.

These Asian soup noodle dishes are the best and I usually order one when I'm having lunch in a decent Vietnamese or Chinese restaurant.

I have a Japanese store around the corner from me (That also prepares the tastiest fresh Sushi/Sashimi) and they sell Miso paste in a bag. I've made Miso soup before using this paste and a couple of sprinkles of dried seaweed added at the end.
Perfect for when the weather is freezing.

Delicious and very good anti-oxident to boot! :smashin:

Last edited:
Sushi is something i have always fancied trying, but the idea of eating raw fish (seafood) really puts me off. I had the opportunity a few months back at a dinner party but chickened out. Given the choice again, i would definately give it a go.

Sid

Bill Hicks

Banned
Sushi is something i have always fancied trying, but the idea of eating raw fish (seafood) really puts me off. I had the opportunity a few months back at a dinner party but chickened out. Given the choice again, i would definately give it a go.

Sid
Sushi when well prepared with very fresh fish/seafood is sublimely delicious.
I could eat it with a bowl of steaming Miso soup every day if it wasn't so damn expensive!

P.S. Avoid the stuff you get in the supermarket chains as it's rubbish and a bad introduction to Sushi for the uninitiated! :)

Urien Rheged

This recipe uses ingredients which can all be found in Tesco's. It's very easy to make and tastes delicious. Very filling and very healthy!
This makes 2 bowls of soup.

Japanese Soba noodle miso soup with chicken and mushrooms

Ingredients
1 large boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp mirin
Freshly ground black pepper
750 ml chicken stock
1.5 cm knob of fresh ginger, peeled and cut into matchsticks
18g satchet miso soup paste
170 g soba noodles (Japanese buckwheat noodles)
125 g mushrooms, stems trimmed and top scored
3 spring onions, trimmed and thinly sliced on the diagonal

Method: How to make soba noodle miso soup with chicken and mushrooms

1. First, marinate the chicken. Cut the chicken breasts across the grain into thin slices. Place in a bowl and add the mirin, soy sauce, miso soup paste and a good grinding of pepper. Give the chicken a good stir, to ensure that every piece is coated. Cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, preferably overnight.

2. For the soup base, pour the chicken stock into a medium pan. Bring to a simmer, add the ginger, cover the pan with a lid and cook gently for 5–10 minutes.

3. When ready to serve, bring a pot of water to the boil for the noodles. Add the mushrooms to the simmering stock and cook for 2 minutes, then add the chicken strips.. Cook until the chicken is just opaque throughout, about 11 minutes. Cover the pan with a lid and turn the heat down as low as possible.

4. Add the noodles to the pan of boiling water and cook until tender but still retaining a slight bite, about 3–4 minutes. Drain and immediately toss with a little sesame oil (optional) . Divide among warmed soup bowls and scatter over the spring onions. Ladle the hot soup over the noodles, making sure that you divide the chicken and mushrooms evenly. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds (optional) and serve at once.

Dancook

Distinguished Member
My current lunch recipe is

Chicken stock cube
2 x Spring Onion
1 x Packet of Amoy Straight to Work Fine Thread Noodles
1/3rd can of beansprouts
1 x fresh hot chilli
1 x small red onion
Splash of Fish Sauce
Splash of teriyaki sauce
A few ready to eat pork balls

Put it all in a container, add boiled water, stir well then microwave for 3 mins.

This is very easy to make at work and taste YUM...

Forgot the pork balls this week so been having 1/2 can of beansprouts and two packets of noodles.

I eat around 9-10am..and it see's me through most of the day.

bjarvis2785

P.S. Avoid the stuff you get in the supermarket chains as it's rubbish and a bad introduction to Sushi for the uninitiated! :)
I can vouch for that!
Not long back I thought I'd give it a go and went for a small pack from Tesco.... not good at all! :thumbsdow
In all fairness I'm not sure what I was expecting, but hopefully the real deal is better than that!

davidegee

i've just got back from 3 weeks in Malaysia and Thailand. I'd love to be able to make mee goreng (fried noodles) like you can get in Malaysia for the equivalent of about a £1. The food was amazing and so cheap!

Dancook

Distinguished Member
i've just got back from 3 weeks in Malaysia and Thailand. I'd love to be able to make mee goreng (fried noodles) like you can get in Malaysia for the equivalent of about a £1. The food was amazing and so cheap!
I wish we had noodle bars that do cheap and tasty food!

Wagamama is not what I have in mind!

indianwells

I ate at a Japanese restaurant for the first time in Savannah last week and it was bloody lovely! I had a small salad and a bowl of Miso soup to start which was delish. I then had a combination plate of both Sushi and Sashimi. So fresh, and out of this world flavour. The only thing I wasn't keen on was the Sake, I had a porcelain bottle of it. The choice was warm or chilled so I asked the couple at the next table and they advised warm. It came more hot than warm but either way I struggled to finish it. It must be an acquired taste I guess but i'm sticking to Sapporo from here on.
Oh, and careful with the Sake, it's stronger than you think, I don't remember how I got back to my hotel that night!:rolleyes:

Iccz

Distinguished Member
The only thing I wasn't keen on was the Sake, I had a porcelain bottle of it. The choice was warm or chilled so I asked the couple at the next table and they advised warm. It came more hot than warm but either way I struggled to finish it. It must be an acquired taste I guess but i'm sticking to Sapporo from here on.
Sake is definitely an acquired taste, as for temperature kanzake (warm) and the people next to you were right to advise you to go for this as you had Sashimi - warm sake increases the dryness and flavour and it generally makes it feel stronger, more of a kick to it. That said not everyone likes it that way... Reishu (cold sake) is usually for the summer although a lot of people who do not like kanzake will have jouon (room temperature) generally you have it cold with sweet/sour dishes the better quality sake is usually best cold while the cheaper stuff warm - mostly because of the added alcohol and the heat generally makes it taste better/stronger. But the fact is you serve it how you enjoy it.

As for strength it's only around 18% as a rule so it's not as strong as people sometimes think - the warmth makes it seem stronger though. As for getting drunk/tipsy on it, I'm not sure what it's like compared to other alcohol really.

indianwells

Sake is definitely an acquired taste, as for temperature kanzake (warm) and the people next to you were right to advise you to go for this as you had Sashimi - warm sake increases the dryness and flavour and it generally makes it feel stronger, more of a kick to it. That said not everyone likes it that way... Reishu (cold sake) is usually for the summer although a lot of people who do not like kanzake will have jouon (room temperature) generally you have it cold with sweet/sour dishes the better quality sake is usually best cold while the cheaper stuff warm - mostly because of the added alcohol and the heat generally makes it taste better/stronger. But the fact is you serve it how you enjoy it.

As for strength it's only around 18% as a rule so it's not as strong as people sometimes think - the warmth makes it seem stronger though. As for getting drunk/tipsy on it, I'm not sure what it's like compared to other alcohol really.
That makes sense, it tasted a lot better with the Sashimi! Drunkwise, well I guess it was because I had the meal around 6pm but then went on a tour of local hostelries until (about) 11. The sake certainly gave me a head start!:)

Steven

Senior Moderator
Ask your local takeaway(s) whether they go to a local cash and carry in Surrey. You don't need to be a member of the trade to use those places and actually they are usually structure to be a supermarket with a back warehouse bit open to all, with a restaurant attached somewhere

You can take boxes of stuff away to last you months. Just be warned those instant noodles whilst addictive are completely nutrient deficient, but who cares :laugh:

IronGiant

I must try and find some of these Straight to Work noodles of Dan's :D

SBanga

This recipe uses ingredients which can all be found in Tesco's.

*snip*
Dammit, I was going to make this tonight but the big Tesco near me doesn't stock mirin according to my iPhone app :(

keydude

Noodles are suprisingly addictive.

I mix a dough every other day (using bread machine), then make noodle/udon from dough as needed(using electric pasta roller/cutter machine). Very easy and yummy.

Soup can be of many different recipe.

tomson

Dammit, I was going to make this tonight but the big Tesco near me doesn't stock mirin according to my iPhone app :(
Got any sherry? That and a little sugar should be a usable alternative. It's also useful to have in the kitchen for chinese cooking.

Urien Rheged

Last edited:

Trending threads

Latest news

T+A expands E-Series with PA 1100E integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins unveils new PX wireless ANC headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku Premiere streaming device with 4K HDR hits UK
  • By Andy Bassett