1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm Thinking Of Getting The Sagem Hd45,please Help Me Decide

Discussion in 'TVs' started by jimmyidle, May 4, 2005.

1. jimmyidle

jimmyidle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. Have had my first plunge into the big screens with a LG plasma RZ42PX11. This was not a good start for me and the screen has just gone back to John Lewis today. I couldent live with the picture quaility. Having had a good look at more expensive plasma's I think their just not for me,they look good hanging on a wall but the picture just dont look that good,even on the panny's. But the Sagem HD45 just stood out from all the screens in J.L with an excellent pic. I know the demo is feed by HD from a pc so can anyone tell me whats its like through normall feeds like component, rgb scart etc. I really dont want to get my next purchase wrong as well.
    Thanks
    Jim

2. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Scart connections from Freeview are good, but, and this is a big but, camera pans cause an awful banding/solarisation. This is especially noticeable on my TiVo feed since it goes through several A->D & D->A conversions.

However, I've just setup a PC running Media Centre where I can record the Freeview signal from Nova-T digitally. This gives much better results and I rarely see the banding now.

Can't say I've tried DVD or other component feeds yet since I use it primarily for watching TV.

3. jimmyidle

jimmyidle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info. Will keep searching the forums. Can any more owners give me their opinions on the HD45.
    Thanks
    Jim

4. Rezillo

Rezillo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Well, we've had one for a week now - far too short a time to be authoritative but enough to have some views!

Picture from Sky+ is very impressive - in fact, given the low bit rate of some Sky channels, I have been astonished at just how good it is in the circumstances. Any major pixellation/solarisation I have seen so far has been down to bit-rate or other processing limitations of the source signal reproducible on sets without onboard digital processing. A week is too short to say it doesn't happen but camera pans haven't caused any noticeable problem for me so far. Having said that, I saw some terrible breakup on a set in one shop which other TVs with the same signal did not display so perhaps there could be an issue with particular sets.

Even screen illumination - I saw a review which mentioned emphasis on centre brightness but I haven't noticed this at all, even on monocolour backgrounds.

Some people don't like the frosted screen - well, I'm not one of them but it comes down to personal preference. The glare reduction compared to other screens was noticeable when I saw it demoed and for me that outweighs any disadvantages. I appreciate others may not like it.

Built in analog TV tuner is a pile of poo. It is much less sensitive than any other TV I've had. We're about 30 miles from the transmitter and the weaker channel signals give very poor pictures. Not a huge issue but there are a few programmes we watch on analog - notably ITV football, whose picture quality on satellite makes it look as if footballers are playing on some mysterious green substance whereas on analog you can at least tell it's grass.

DVD playback - absolutely stunning.

Onboard audio - fine for everyday TV use.

Annoying things - the spdif passthrough doesn't work with my equipment and mutes the onboard sound for the source concerned anyway, so unless you use a separate amp every single time you play a dvd, you would have to go into the menus and turn it off to use the TV's speakers. There is no Sky+ remote code. Fan noise is less than Sky+ but after a few hours use it can get louder. Switch off the smart volume function that evens up source volume levels and there is a huge volume imbalance between audio sources - I would have preferred a manual setting per source. DVI input doesn't accept a VGA/DVI converter so if you want to utilise the spare vga connector on your PC's graphics card if you have a DVI monitor connected, you have to use the swing-out side panel connector. I've never had a TV yet that did all I wanted so nothing here that condemns it for me but the Sky+ code issue is a pain.

Summary - great picture, good sound for day to day use (assuming that for everything else, sound will be via another system), some minor and annoying quirks which for me are far outweighed by the sheer quality of the picture. All I hope is that this performance is maintained over the coming months.

John

5. Riva

Riva
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jIM,

I agree with Rezillo, the set is very impressive and I certainly wouldnt change mine.
    An excellent set but not perfect for everyone. In my opinion the best DLP set in terms of value for money, connectivity, future ready and performance. Try avwow for your purchase, they really have helped me - and their after sales service is second to none.
    :thumbsup:

6. jimmyidle

jimmyidle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all for your help and advice. This really dose sound like the TV for me. Any more opinions would be welcome. Has anyone seen the new silver version with built in freeview tuner.

7. TheGaffer

TheGaffer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm currently on my 3rd HD-D45.

On the 1st I thought that the PQ was excellent on Sky, Freeview and DVD via DVI but the set developed a "whistle" which gave me headaches so it had to go.

The 2nd set arrived with a large scratch on the frame and scratches all around where the speakers attach. The PQ was also terrible on all sources. It was obviously a used set and it went straight back and JL got a very angry phone call (although they didn't seem particularly bothered about sending me a 2nd hand set).

I've now had my 3rd set for a week. The PQ is again excellent on Sky, Freeview and DVD via DVI. The PQ is actually better than my first set, which I've now realised suffered from the horizontal viewing problem where the picture dimmed if you weren't in line with the centre of the screen. The analogue tuner PQ is very variable, as others have said, and depends on signal strength - when the signal is weak the screen constantly brightens and dims which I find really irritating so I try not to use the analogue tuners personally.
    One thing that I do find annoying is that if you use auto source switching the set always powers up when a source comes out of standby - not good if you are away for a few weeks and are recording stuff using autoview on Sky etc.

I'm still undecided as to whether I am going to keep the HD-D45 but, as long as it doesn't develop the whistle within the next few weeks then I probably will. My currently set actually has a side door (where the VGA port is) that won't close (it was tricky to close it on the other sets but on this set it looks dislogded) - I can live with this with this though, as I don't want to take any more chances on PQ by exchanging the set again.
    However, be aware that a number of people are on their 2nd/3rd sets, and it seems that getting a set without any faults is a complete lottery, which sadly doesn't say much for Sagem, in my opinion anyway.

P.S. The HD-D45S doesn't have the 2.1 surround sound, and so doesn't have the side speakers (the sound comes from the 'stand' speaker). Also, while it has no analogue tuners, I don't know if has 1 or 2 digital tuners - if it only has one then you would need another source for PIP/PAP, and any source PIP/PAP is one of the great features of this TV.

8. Rezillo

Rezillo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I did notice one more thing last night - BBC News24 was running a ticker lower than usual at the bottom of the screen and part of it was being cropped off. Hopefully, we'll get to know eventually of the service menu settings to adjust overscan.

John

9. Riva

Riva
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After a long discussion with the guys at SAGEM it seams that due to a policy change at SAGEM HQ France, the packaging used by the HD-D45 no longer uses foam and polystyrene as they are not eco friendly products. This has lead to alot of minor faults bieng attributed to the transit. I have it on good authority that the packaging has been re-designed to address this issue and that the quality and performance of your new set should be more of a certanty and less of a lottery as previously mentoned.
    Lets hope so, as this is a stunning tv that promises the world but has dissapointed too many people to really be the obvious best buy. :smashin:

10. mattross

mattross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Been very happy with my HD-D45. Although the solarisation problem bothered me to start with, over time I have become less concerned about it and I seem to notice it less now my brain has adjusted. The screen frosting was never an issue for me. Some people have had audio delay issues that required them to use the SPDIF to delay the audio. I've seen none of that, via my Pioneer VSA-AX10Ai I don't need to set any delay. It's not that I can't detect it as I spot it immediately when my ntl: STB loses sync.

I think I'll get in contact with Sagem regarding the green tint progressive issue, as the latest software would be nice. I do wish there were discrete remote codes for selecting each source though, as I find the one AV button toggle annoying with 5 sources connected.