I'm Thinking of Ending Things (Netflix) Movie Review & Comments

Kaufman's Adaptation and Eternal Sunshine scripts are both classics in my opinion. This latest film bored me to tears unfortunately.

Although kudos to Netflix for supporting such a challenging, avant-garde project. I'm very glad this film exists, it just didn't work for me personally.

Turned it off after 15 minutes.

Wished I'd turned it off after 15 minutes.
First half was working nicely and then it turned into prattling drivel and song and dance. C'mon, guys! No one deserves song and dance and the mess that fell out.
There's a reason why Ghosting has come into common parlance.

First half was working nicely and then it turned into prattling drivel and song and dance. C'mon, guys! No one deserves song and dance and the mess that fell out.
It was the obsession with Oklahoma! that was referenced throughout coming back as the only remaining thing in his life that was worth living for after he faced the reality that Lucy/Yvonne/Amy was never really the embodiment of good in the world. The dance and the song were elements directly from the musical which he overlayed with his own grief at a wasted life. He killed the things that his younger self thought gave life meaning and lamented his inability to make a difference in the world. I found it pretty stirring.

It was the obsession with Oklahoma! that was referenced throughout coming back as the only remaining thing in his life that was worth living for after he faced the reality that Lucy/Yvonne/Amy was never really the embodiment of good in the world. The dance and the song were elements directly from the musical which he overlayed with his own grief at a wasted life. He killed the things that his younger self thought gave life meaning and lamented his inability to make a difference in the world. I found it pretty stirring.
Well bless your soul, Tom. I would never of got that if you hadn't, er, wait, no, half a mo!
My cup remained half empty. Glad you liked it so much, though.

I gave up on watching Charlie Kaufman’s utter twaddle after watching Synecdoche, New York, never have I been so close to launching my Television out off the window after watching that pretentious guff.I still can’t get my head around why he gets so much adoration. Each to their own I guess, but the popularity of his movies totally baffles me.

I turned it off after 2hrs 11 minutes and 23 seconds.
This is disgraceful. I cannot abide people who can't even give movies a chance. You missed out on the...uh...MPAA logo? And the bit at the end where the 'N' goes BUH-BUMMM. Try and be a bit more open minded in future, yeah?

Last edited:
This is disgraceful. I cannot abide people who can't even give movies a chance.
Hey Mr Lime switches Henry Cavill films off even before he switches them on. :rolleyes: :laugh:

When I saw the thread title, I thought Tom had had enough of reviewing crappy TV shows and movies and was going to end it all. Maybe the 9/10 on this one saved him. :rotfl:

I managed to get through the whole gruelling ordeal but it took great resolve.
It was self indulgent pretentious nonsense imo.
2/10.

"...song and dance..."??? Talk about the Poster Child of "I ain't got nuthin..." as far as plot goes.

I surprised myself watching this till the end.

Yes, stay until the end. Notice the small things. An intelligent thought-provoking film indeed. Clever. Terrific cast. Offbeat? Yes of course, his movies are.

I managed to get through the whole 2 hrs and 18 minutes I even sat through the end credits. Perhaps I was waiting for some kind of understanding or comprehension to dawn on me; something, anything so that I could say that it hadn’t been a complete waste of time.
Charlie Kaufman and Tom Davies you owe me 2 hrs of my life back. You can keep the 18 minutes.

I managed to get through the whole 2 hrs and 18 minutes I even sat through the end credits. Perhaps I was waiting for some kind of understanding or comprehension to dawn on me; something, anything so that I could say that it hadn’t been a complete waste of time.
Charlie Kaufman and Tom Davies you owe me 2 hrs of my life back. You can keep the 18 minutes.
I can mow your lawn or clean out your gutters. Whichever I do, Charlie can do the other.

I can mow your lawn or clean out your gutters. Whichever I do, Charlie can do the other.

Don’t worry. Just watched Devil all the time so your debt is paid.
Now where’s that Charlie ****ing Kaufman?

The makers of this film should be tried for crimes against humanity. One of the worst I’ve ever seen.

The makers of this film should be tried for crimes against humanity. One of the worst I’ve ever seen.
It’s not an easy film to understand on first viewing, for example,

It’s a story entirely in the imagination of the old janitor, ruminating on what his life could have been.

With that in mind, it makes a lot more sense.

Just spotted that this was on the top 10 films of the year list and had to come on to give my view of how tedious it was... But looks like I was late to the party! Add me to the "I want my two hours back" crew! :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom