1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm thinking of buying a projector......

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Eee-Tee, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Eee-Tee

Eee-Tee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm pretty new to the projector scene, and i'm looking for a basic machine, that will allow me to play my own VCD's/ DVDs via a DVD player

can you tell me the differences between the different types available?
    Am i right in saying i'd connect it via yellow/white/ red connectors, or S-video?
    Which is best?
    And do you all have a separate speaker system, or do you use the TV's?

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek:

Use Component if possible, S-Video is a bit pants (just tried comparing S-Video and component and Component has alot more detail)

Don't use composite- the yellow connector... it's AWFUL!

There are two major types of front projection. CRT and LCD (DLP as well, but similar to LCD, really- just to simplify for now)

This is a typcial CRT projector..Big & heavy :) Roughly 75cm x 75cm x 45cm, at around 50-60Kg.

http://www.crtprojectors.co.uk/bg808_2.jpg

and this is a LCD projector

http://www.bnotions.com/ProdImages/TH-AE300-BIG.gif

About the size of laptop, but a bit higher.

Most have audio seperates, of various quality- from all in one or high quality components. If if you have a PJ, why should the TV be on/use the speakers?

3. Eee-Tee

Eee-Tee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok Nathan, thanks for the quick reply
    So am i right in saying that both PJs do the 'same job' but LCD's are better quality, or is it more than that?

Re: connections, which are the component? not sure if i've come by them before- are they labeled as that?

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They both project onto the screen, just different methods.

IMO a well setup CRT PJ has better picture quality than LCD, with better blacks, no screendoor effect, dead pixels or heat soak associated with LCD PJ's.

However CRT PJ's require quite alot of work, three tubes that need focusing & converging.

With a LCD PJ you only need to adjust the single lens.

Component is three cable's.. use three 75Ohm, coaxial cables (either phono or BNC, BNC is preferred- true 75Ohm connector)

here...
    http://www.avland.co.uk/pioneer/dv757/index.htm

5. Eee-Tee

Eee-Tee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK, i get it now, the component are the green, red, blue sockets?
    Fair do's
    I'm gonna do a bit of searching through the site- be back w/ any more Qus l8ter

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,968
    RGB
    YPrPb
    YCrCb
    YUV
    Y/C (S-video)
    are all component signals.

To avoid confusion I suggest you stop talking about the colour of cables and sockets as different types of signals can be sent to different types of sockets....and colours of sockets.

Nathan if you are seeing a massive difference in detail between s-video and YPrPb then it is possible the implimentation of S-video processing inside the source or display is much poorer than the YPrPb processing. There should be an increase in colour detail.

As Nathan has said it's best to avoid composite at all costs. Of course video tape and terrestrial TV (analogue broacast) is composite in nature so you are stuck with that low quality transmission anyway.

The best thing to do is to read some posts about DLP/LCD/CRT on this forum. Then try and go and see some of these devices to better understand their pro's and con's.

After that come and ask some more questions.

Have fun!

Gordon