1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm sure you've been asked this before...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by J-K, Feb 25, 2005.

1. J-K

J-K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I recently bought a house, a Barratt one infact! One of the useless features they gave me was a chimney stack, with no fireplace etc. Now, apart from the waste of space on the living room - i thought i could make the most of it by putting my plasma on it [going to get a Pioneer 43" FDE unless anyone objects?]

However, as you're probably guessed, it's made from plasterboard. My Missus will only let me get it if I put it on the wall, as she refuses to put a plasma on anything else! "Plasma's are made for the wall honey, and if you don't put it on the wall, you're not having it!"

I know loads of people have asked this - but i just wanted a refresher, incase there had been some new inventions that can help me stick a 43" plasma on to plasterboard. I am totally useless at DIY, so I don't fancy the sound of cutting a hole in my plasterboard, sticking some wood behind it, and plastering it back up. I also imagine it's fairly expensive to get someone in to do it for me.

Does anyone have any ideas of suggestions? What is the absolute best way to do this job? Even if I do have to get a chippie in [which I think I will have to]!

Appreciate all the advise, and sorry for posting this question when you've all probably answered it a millon times over...

Thanks,
    JK

2. 406lx

406lx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    There are fixings you can get specifically designed for plasterboard.

Check HERE

Hope this will help you out to some extent.

3. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it would be better if you can span across the Wooden uprights that the plaster board maybe screwed to. It depends on how the plasterboard is secured.

DotnDab which uses blobs of cement that the board is just pressed onto (crap way) or plasterboard is nailed to wood uprights. Uprights have different sized gaps between them 450mm, 600mm etc.

The attached diagram shows how we did it. The plasma bracket wouldn't span two uprights, so we got a piece os 8mm thick MDF appx size of plasma or at least wide enought to span 3 uprights.

do a search of the plasma forums for wall mounting etc - there are a pile of threads covering this, with info depending on type of wall you have.

regards
    Gary

Attached Files: