I'm sure you're probably sick of these threads

S

Scythegpd

Yes, it's ANOTHER "Please may I have your advice" threads but sadly that's what happens when us ignorant peons try to make decisions for which we are not qualified. So please, read my tale of woe and, if possible, advise me. Any assistance WILL be greatly appreciated.

Anyway, my story. I recently bought a PS3 and a HD-TV to go with it. After much deliberation I chose the Sony Bravia KDL-40W2000 as it was the Sony top of the line TV (along with the X series) and it was 1080p. Also I tend to prefer Sony products (most of my electronics are Sony). As you are all no doubt aware that TV is not the cheapest on the market either.
Stupidly, being the kind of person I am, I chose to do some further research AFTER buying it. After contacting the Sony helpdesk I discovered to my horror that apparently the W2000 only has a HDMI1.0 port. After recoving from my shock I chose to make my way swiftly to these forum to ask the advice of those more knowledgable than myself.
So basically what should I do? I have bought a PS3 with HDMI1.3 and 1080p and I thought I was buying a TV that would make the most of this. However I now have a VERY expensive 1080p TV with a HDMI1.0 socket. How much of a difference does this really make? Should I try and return it for another make/model (even though I like Sony)? Make to doubt about it, it's a STUNNING TV, the clarity when watching blu-ray is fantastic (going from an old SD TV that didn't even do 480p!) however I would like to make the most of my PS3 and if there is a HUGE difference between the HDMI's but not a huge price comparison I will have to put some serious thought into an exchange.

Many Thanks

You state it is a STUNNING TV, well leave it that, you'll be off to the shops buy another one and the week after out comes 1.4. A few months later 1.5 and it goes on and on. I would doubt if you would notice ANY difference in another set with 1.3, at your resolution and size of set I would forget it.

You state it is a STUNNING TV, well leave it that, you'll be off to the shops buy another one and the week after out comes 1.4. A few months later 1.5 and it goes on and on. I would doubt if you would notice ANY difference in another set with 1.3, at your resolution and size of set I would forget it.
Thanks for the advice.
Yes I think it's stunning, but then again I have gone from a TV that didn't even do 480p (only 480i) so I'm not one to preach about quality, I suspect even if I got a 30" 720p TV I'd still think it was stunning when comparing to my old TV!

So basically what you're saying it won't make any difference really? I'd heard that below 40" 1080p vs 720p didn't make any difference so it's kinda the same with the HDMI outputs (i.e the bigger the screen the more noticeable the differences are)?
I don't know the actual in's and outs regarding the differences between the HDMI's I just thought 1.3 would be best suited to the PS3 (if anything higher came out in the near future I wouldn't have got it anyway as a TV is only as good as it's input, if the PS3 only supported 1.3 then pointless getting a TV with higher).

But thank's for putting my mind at rest, glad to hear that it won't really make any difference. Twas much appreciated.

i didn't even know 1080p was around when they used HDMI 1.0, that must be an old model!

So basically what should I do?
What you should do is relax and enjoy your TV, secure in the knowledge that the version of HDMI on a television makes absolutely no practical difference whatever, never has, and never will. If you'd bought a high-def disc player with HDMI of < 1.3, or a surround sound processor without HDMI at all, you'd have reason to worry. For the TV it is irrelevant.

versions of HDMI are interoperable

if you hook a HDMI 1.3 PS3 to a HDMI 1.0 Sony TV, the PS3 just turns off the HDMI 1.3 features

most of which are pretty useless, and some of which are only going to be used by AV receivers (like facilities for lip syncing when sending the audio and video to different sources)

in short

relax, your not missing anything and enjoy your new TV.

Just bare in mind, theres allways a better model due out in 6 months. The new Sony V Series comes out later this year, 1080P, 100hz, 1080P/24 "tru cinema", 10bit colour, Bravia IPtv module etc..

but there will probably be OLED tvs with 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio next year. Sony have already shown a concept 27" model. Theres allways something better comming, you have to bite the bullet at some point :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom