1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm sure this is an elementary question,

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by hebawom, Oct 4, 2004.

1. hebawom

hebawom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a laptop connected to a projector. It can power 2 monitors. One is the laptop screen and the other the projector.
    When I load up the laptop, the PJ screen shows the wallpaper of my laptop without the icons, which is fine, the problem comes when I try and play a DVD through it. I've tried various players, when I press full-screen on all players I've tried, it full screens it on my laptop and nothing appears on the PJ - am I doing something silly?

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    No you're not doing anything silly :) .. using dual-monitors at times is a bit of a black art.

Basically, there's the condept of 'primary' and 'secondary' monitors. The 'overlay', ie. the sort of 'window' in which the DVD is rendered by default appears on the primary monitor.

How you get it to appear on your projector will depend on the brand of video card you have, or more pedantically the drivers for it, and the operating system you're running.

3. hebawom

hebawom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, nothing to do with the settings in powerDVD then?
    On powerpoint, when you press the "Begin Slideshow" button, it full-screens to the projector, so why can't I do it with DVD's?
    If its a hardware thing, how do I change the settings?

4. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Might be worth posting on the PC forum also it would help if you could let us know what Graphics card you have

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Powerpoint isn't using the Overlay, which is a special sort of window that is sometimes used to render video streams, ordinary Winows programs like Powerpoint don't use it.

As Jon says, we need to know your software and hardware to help .. and the HTPC forums is your best bet. :)

6. hebawom

hebawom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My graphics card is a mobility radeon. I don't know if that helps?
    But I'd really like to know how its done.

7. [Slip]

[Slip]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    if you're using multiple monitors I'd really recommend a utility called Ultramon (google it, it'll come up)

Gives you two taskbars etc but more importantly gives you lots of nice shortcut keys to manipulate programs by moving them from screen to screen.

i.e. I have Alt+Q set to move a program from one screen to the other. You could do the same and it will move PowerDVD to the secondary screen (the PJ)

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    'Fraid I've no experience of those and when using dual-monitors my primary display is the projector so this isn't an issue for me. Since no-one in this forum has been able to offer any help then I think you really would be best re-posting in the HTPC area. :)

9. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Reading the original post on this thread, I don't think this has anything to do with multiple monitors etc. If you connect another monitor to a laptop, there is usually a function key on the laptop marked lcd/crt. by toggling this key (varies from machine to machine, I guess, but it's a marked function key on my Dell laptop), you can direct the output of the laptop to either the laptop screen only, both laptop and connected monitor or to the connected monitor only. You need to toggle this key so that the display is your connected monitor only (in this case your projector). Use whatever the standard resolution for the projector is (ie SVGA or XGA,) or if it's a wdescreen panel projector, use a resolution which matches that of the LCD or DMD panels.

Sean G.

10. hebawom

hebawom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many many thanks to whoever suggested ultramon.
    This is exactly what I wanted.
    A thousand thanks.

Consider this misplaced thread closed!!

11. [Slip]

[Slip]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Happy to help :)