I'm receiving the JVC 26 LT-26DX7BJ tommorow!

O

ohanlon

My first TV purchase (I'm only 17), and it is going in my bedroom. I thought I would treat myself and decided to get this.

Does anyone have this model yet? I'd like to know their impressions.

Also, I don't currently have an aerial installed upstairs, so I won't be able to use the TV properly yet, But I'll be sure to test it out downstairs :D I'm assuming the freeview service needs an aerial to work, right?

And how much should an aerial cost to be installed upstairs? I just want another aerial socket in my bedroom, I don't need a new aerial installed on the roof, just the socket, and who can I go to to get one installed? Currys? Also, what sort of price range should it cost?

Sounds good, look forward to a review and maybe some pics:thumbsup:

I use a portable ariel in my bedroom, it worked fine for the old analogue tv, there was a sweetspot where I'd get top notch reception on all channels. However thats only 5 channels, with freeview its harder to find the sweetspot for all 30+ channels!!

I've got the 37" model and it is superb. You should be well impressed with the 26" one. Enjoy !!

ohanlon said:
My first TV purchase (I'm only 17), and it is going in my bedroom. I thought I would treat myself and decided to get this.

I wish I could have afforded something like that at 17!

ohanlon said:
And how much should an aerial cost to be installed upstairs? I just want another aerial socket in my bedroom, I don't need a new aerial installed on the roof, just the socket, and who can I go to to get one installed? Currys? Also, what sort of price range should it cost?

Best to contact you local aerial installer if you can't do it yourself. If you don't know/can't find one, the best chance of finding someone decent (although it's not a guarantee) is to find one who is a member of the CAI:

http://www.cai.org.uk/asp/domestic_search1.asp

Currys won't be of any use for this.

Alright, I may aswell ask here instead of continually pestering GaryB through PM :p

What cables will I need to buy? I don't want overly expensive cables but I do want decent ones, so if any of you guys could link me to the cables, I'd be very appreciative, I am totally stuck here. I will be using it for watching normal analogue TV and Freeview, connecting to my PC (as long as it all works, I have a doubtful feeling for some reason as my graphics card is a RADEON 9200 series which almost certainly sucks :(), watching DVD's (although I already have a JVC scart, is that what I should keep using?), playing PS2, XBox and Gamecube, and watching VCR (very rarely :p), so what cables do I need for the best possible performance for these formats?

GaryB told me to get a D-SUB cable for the PC link up, any in particular?

I'm stumped :(

P.S. Is it possible to have PC running on the left side of the screen, and TV running on the right side?

EDIT: I'm also thinking of getting an Oppo DVD player, will that work fine with this set? The Oppo comes with the cables right, so I won't need to worry about that?

Alright then, I got it delivered at about 11:30, just been watching freeview and TV on it since then, haven't even tried out DVD yet. I just have one problem I need a bit of assurance on. When I was watching ER, there were scenes where it was pretty dark, and the dark colours would sort of smudge together. I don't know what to fiddle around with to sort it out. Would I have to higher the contrast, or perhaps the backlight? Or maybe just the normal brightness?

Ohanlon.

Full review asap! I think youre the first on the forum to get one and I know there's several others who are interested in this set!

I would review it in full if I knew what I was talking about :p I also have to buy the leads, which is what I need help with.

But let me tell you, this thing is beautiful, and I have only been watching freeview and normal TV. I'm gonna watch some DVDs tonight through scart and hook up the consoles to it and see how it performs.

ohanlon, can you please tell me where you got yours from? I am very interested in the 32" version of this set. Thanks.

ohanlon, your impressions are going to be fine Im sure, I would be particulary interested in how it performs with your consoles as this is what I would be using the set for!

wilky said:
ohanlon, can you please tell me where you got yours from? I am very interested in the 32" version of this set. Thanks.

I got it from www.digital-point.co.uk/. They were superb with service. I ordered it on Monday Morning, it arrived Tuesday morning (well afternoon, 11:30 AM), I was really shocked how fast it came :). They also rang up to confirm the order and told me when it was coming. The driver than rang me up in the morning and told me what time to expect him, he also rang ten minutes before it arrived (just enough time to put the dog on a leash :D ). They came in, unpacked it all for me, tried to put the stand on but it needed to be unscrewed (it was easy anyway :p), and showed me the screen to make sure I was happy with it and that there was no scratches or dead pixels etc.

Although if I had to return it then I would have found out how good (or bad) the site was, but luckily I haven't had to :rotfl: . Hope you get the same luck :) I was dreading finding any dead pixels, but still haven't seen any.

And sure thing, I will post some impressions later on after I have used it with DVD and Gamecube, PS2 and XBox (I only have the worst leads for them though, composite etc., the ones you get when you buy the console :().

The only bad thing I have noticed so far is the problem with the dark colours gelling together, but hopefully some fiddling about with the contrast etc. will sort that out (it isn't too bad anyway, but I haven't watched any dark movies or programs yet, I will have to find out). But this is probably just a problem with LCD, not just this set.

And lastly, my brother came home from work and his first comment was "How much did it cost"? When I told him £850, he thinks it wasn't worth it, and said that the TV down stairs has a better picture (8 year old £2500 Sony Trinitron 32" CRT), but you just can't expect an LCD to perform aswell as a CRT when it comes to SD content, and I understand this. Once I get some HD content up and running on it, I'm sure he will change his mind. One thing everybody has been really impressed with though (myself included) is the fantastic sound that comes out of this little thing, much better than the Sony.

I would post some pics, but I don't have a digital camera :(. Impressions will come later.

Any updates? How are you getting on with it?

I still haven't had a chance to use my consoles on it (although I definitely will by today), but yesterday I watched Charlie and The chocolate Factory (the new version) on this set, and the picture was stunning, the best I have seen on DVD for the colourful parts, although when darker blues and purples (and dar colours in general, there was a strange blurring effect that me and my bro kept noticing. I have to admit it was pretty off putting. Is there any chance this could be down to the lead I am using? If for example I watched through HDMI, would it take it away? This was through the PC (D-SUB), But I've also tried it on my old Sony DVP-NS305 through Scart, it isn't exactly a great expensive new dvd player, but it gets the job done, and the blurring effect was still in these colours. I'm buying an oppo probably in a few months (I have to save up for a holiday now), and see what it is like on that through DVI, but it won't obviously be for a while. Do you think with the Oppo this won't be noticeable, or is this just a general thing with LCD?

I'll update either tonight or tommorow how the picture is for console gaming.

Are you still having the same problem?

Am very tempted to get one of these.

usagi13 said:
Are you still having the same problem?

Am very tempted to get one of these.

Yes I am, the guy who installed my aerial said it was down to the proceesing of the DVD, and it wasn't the TV's fault. Anyway, I'm getting the Oppo at the end of the week, so will see how it performs on that.

I don't get the colours gelling together on DVD's on my 32DX7. In fact my DVD playback is excellent, and that's only via an Xbox360 via component (which outperformed my ageing Sony DAV-S500 via S-Video).

After a bit of tinkering I sorted out the problem with the blacks gelling together, but I was talking talking abou the fuzziness in dark blues and purples etc. You hace to be close to the screen to see it.

ohanlon said:
BUMP, I'd like to know if GaryB also gets this problem...

Sorry for the late reply. Haven't been around much for the last few days. I haven't got the sample set any more but I didn't see anything while I was testing it. As with all LCDs, there can be a little image lag when the set is cold but that usually clears after a few minutes.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom