I'm pretty gutted about this.

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member

Let me explain: Resident Music is a record shop in The Lanes that was a convenient one-stop shop for gig tickets because:

1. They had most shows from most venues covered, so you could use them as a quick way of checking what was happening and where in just one place.
2. They didn't charge stupid, excessive and greedy commission like the third-party agencies (which were, supposedly, "looked at" by the government and then promptly ignored).

At a time when many artists and venues are struggling to survive thanks to the pandemic, I don't see how this will help their cause of getting people through the door. I imagine lots of people used Resident as their first port of call for gig tickets, now we'll have to trawl though all the venue websites individually and some people just won't be bothered to do all that.

Or maybe I've just gotten lazy in my old age? I remember trawling through all the music papers every week in the 80's and 90's - NME, Sounds, Melody Maker - as well as the monthlies like Q as there was no Internet then, for live dates.

I don't have a Smartphone, I don't want to get a Smartphone. I don't have a printer either. I like having paper tickets, I've even got a little collection dating back to 1983 and my first-ever gig (OMD at Hammersmith Odeon).

Oh well, this is "progress", I suppose....

Last edited:

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
Real shame. Punkerbunker usually have tickets for anything I may want to see in Brighton but the selection on offer wouldn't be nearly as varied. I do get the feeling that the younger generations worry more about convenience than price though. Can't imagine many of them being happy to queue in the freezing cold outside Hammy Odeon for 6 hours or more to get best seats at face value. I miss those days!

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom