I'm out of date

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by Astaroth, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    Had the same kenwood head unit and cd multichanger in my cars for 12 years but have a new car coming in a few weeks and it has a double DIN (or at least that is what sites seem to call them) and 8 speakers. "Unfortunately" it is a convertable and none of the standard fit come with removable faces (or part faces) which makes me a little concerned for if I ever leave the car with the roof down.

Having a look online it doesnt appear that any of the 2 DIN units have removable faces, nor do they mention having the ability to connect to 8 speakers. Are there any? I am not bothered for sat nav as I have a tomtom and not bothered for DVD etc but if it has it it isnt the end of the world

2. martUK

martUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Give us a clue, what car??

3. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    VW Eos

4. martUK

martUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    The newer VW's which use the quadlock connector do not have an ignition live in the plug, its all done using can bus data signals. You can either pick up an ignition at the fuse box behind the panel on the end of the dash, drivers side, or from the heater controls (use the thick red/white in the long black plug) Or if you are a bit more confident with what you are doing the you can find the live coming from the ignition barrel which will probably be a thin yellow/red, you may be able to find this one at the fusebox.

5. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    So not only does there appear not to be one with any form of removable face but it will be a pain to fit if i do get anything other than a VW own

6. martUK

martUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    There are things you can get which using the can bus data signal will provide a ignition live and illumination feed but are fairly expensive. You will also need a Fakra - ISO aerial adaptor along with the facia adapter. As for the non removable thing, You are right they do not tend to have a removable panel mainly due to the size, but also, until recently they were generally only for fitting in jap cars as nothing else had a double din hole, and in those they were bolted in behind the dash facia panel so theft was not a quick thing to do. Some units like the kenwood have a security code, but obviously still leave the whole unit on show. Running all the speakers in the car is not a problem though. Why do you want to change it, you can do quite a lot with the factory unit, ipod, changer etc

7. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    The main consideration is the security element of not having any element of a removable face plate esp if the roof is left down. I have had exceptionally bad luck with people breaking into my cars to steal radios which was massively reduced when I switched from the old Kenwoods etc with the mechanised faceplates to the current one with a removable plate.

Whilst the new car will have an alarm (though must admit not 100% sure how they work with the roof down) unlike most the previous car the paranoia is still there to some degree