Im Off to New York

BrynTeg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im off to New York next week for a week or so, first time going there and I'm a bit nervous, we have planned the trip out and all but in regards to shopping and what we are allowed to bring back this is where I'm insure , i don't want to be stopped and told i can't bring a leather jacket back or blu rays and the like..;)

I was in new york at christmas, i had to buy another suitcase to bring back all the stuff i bought i had Jackets, Blu rays, Paintings lol all sorts and no issues

I was in new york at christmas, i had to buy another suitcase to bring back all the stuff i bought i had Jackets, Blu rays, Paintings lol all sorts and no issues

thats good to hear, as this is what i will be like lol, im planing on getting a jacket, and some blu rays are guaranteed, what do you do when coming back just walk straight through, dont you have to declare etc etc, im so out of touch as ive never done the airport stuff before :D

thats good to hear, as this is what i will be like lol, im planing on getting a jacket, and some blu rays are guaranteed, what do you do when coming back just walk straight through, dont you have to declare etc etc, im so out of touch as ive never done the airport stuff before :D

If you read the HM Customs link above it explains the situation. If you have goods worth more than you are allowed and you walk through the nothing to declare channel you run the risk of being stopped and searched and potentially fined and charged the extra tax.

I guess the choice is yours.

The limits for personal import are clearly set out. If you walk through the green channel whilst carrying goods to a greater value than the allowed limit, then you risk a pretty unpleasant end to your trip. The risk is quite low but it is definitely not zero.

Having commuted across the Atlantic for 20 years, I have seen people walk through with loads of items which look like they were just bought and they have had no problems. Equally I have seen quite a few folks stopped and searched.

I had a spell of three weeks when I was stopped and questioned three times; once from Japan; once from the US and once from Europe. That was twenty years ago and since then I have not had any problems, however whilst I don't make a habit of bringing in bags of newly purchased items.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom