1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm off the viera, can someone help me with the Panny PW7?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Vipen, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Vipen

Vipen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Ok, i'd almost convinced myself i wanted a viera to cut down on the hassle and headaches of the many threads of 'what do i need'. nothing quite seemed to match what i had.

but now i think, hey, a 42" viera for £2800 or a panny PW7 and the help of people here for far less.

so sorry if these have been mentioned but i would like to try and achieve this with my minimal knowledge of inputs/outputs/etc.

so this is what i have :-

NTL Box with scart - it's really old with a breakout box with a scart on it. seems really iffy, do they do any others or am i stuck with it. signal keeps getting stuck sometimes too, do you think it's the box (screen freeze, can't change channel, etc). i'd ring them up but i usually plump down late at night and then can't be bothered.

X-Box with scart connection and digital to amp.

DVD player - well i'll actually need to buy another for £100 as it's rented so any suggestions? alot of deals about at the moment!!

Sony Vaio Laptop - i have no idea how this would connect but it can i believe.

NAD T752 A/V Amp - I like this for music too but i've read people connecting all sorts to the amp then out to the plasma or whatever. i don't think this can do that and if it could it'd maybe be overly complicated. what you think?

Coffee Table - for plasma to sit on, until i go to ikea with a car big enough for one of those nice units!!

So guys, PW6 or 7? would be nice to be as future proofed as possible but budget is approx £2K all in. if i have to upgrade in 3 years so be it.

Oh, should i wait until January??? not long now and my rental is 1 month notice to give up my old Tosh 36". Thought about connecting two xbox for a month though :cool:

Thanks

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Great idea all round, but get on the phone to NTL and tell them your box is pants. Do it now, while it's in your mind.

3. Vipen

Vipen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    hehe, thanks MAW, i'd love to but i can only just get away with discreet emails to forums like this. tbh, i've only had bad experience with NTL on the phone, i've spent nearly an hour hanging on a number of times.

but your right, i must get this addressed. is there a technically better box than the rubbish thing i perceive to have? it's got no connections i think would be any use (but i'm no expert). i'd say it's six years old.....or more :blush:

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The latest Samsung box is a bit better, do you have broadband from them? If so, just tell them you want the 1.5 meg service. They will have to upgrade your box then, and you can change your package every month you know.....

5. Vipen

Vipen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    hmmm, bit reluctant to overkill my broadband, but then again if the cost isn't too much more i think i'll consider it. i take it ntl boxes are pretty poor in general terms?

so, the question is (buying through av-sales), what boards do i need? i know this question has come up a gabillion times but i don't know my composite from my component as everything i've ever owned has been hooked up by scart. now i'm being daring :D

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Just do the broadband bit for 1 month! The daring bit is that you are talking to another retailer.... I need to look up your amp before committing myself to a system design, and I'm wanted on an install site. Must go and stroke a PHD7 for a bit...

7. Vipen

Vipen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    lol, yeah i know what retailers are like. anyway, when my company takes off and i'm ready to do something fantastic then i'd be looking at install help.

but i can do this. i just need the right bits sent to me and then sit there and fathom it out. i'm not technically stupid as i have a home recording studio, but A/V is a different kettle.

i mean, i put together an ikea cabinet yesterday with a mutha hangover, two missing bits and the footy on!!! you see, i can do pretty much anything :laugh:

8. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Vipen,

I was with NTL until last week when I "upgraded" to Sky+, keeping NTL on just for broadband and phone because I couldn't be arsed to switch to Wannadoo/BT etc. They offered to replace my set top box with a smart little cable modem the next day, I didn't have to give any notice period to downgrade my package, and overall I'm only paying £5 more than when I had NTL - plus I now get the movie channels which I didn't before.

Do it! You won't regret it!

:thumbsup:

9. Vipen

Vipen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    hi blackmanalishi, oh dear, now you've given me a problem. i'd always wondered if sky+ was worth it, even considered it as had sky a long time ago.

ntl (fools they are) give me two invoices anyway, one for tv and phone and one for broadband. i hardly ever use the landline but need it for emergencies.

what's the deal with sky then? i presume they'd have to install a dish again? is the box better? sky+ good? (aha, horror channel i heard). always thought reception could suffer when it's stormy (usually when you want it most), what you think? anyway, it'sd possible you could have swung it. goodness, i'm such a salespersons doormat!!! :laugh: do i have to give ntl notice?

10. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Sky+ is excellent. Very easy to use, recording are exact to the broadcast quality, can record two channels at once or watch one channel, record another etc. Just so damn convenient. And apart from a hard drive failure - which is easily replaced by yourself (not officially though!) - the box has been perfectly reliable - the same unit that I got within a couple of months of launch.

Depends on the specifics of your location, and the quality of installation. In all my time with Sky (three years?), I've only had two or three outages, and never more than about half an hour. We've still got an ntl feed, and had more outages and problems with their TV service in 6 months.

11. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd have to agree. My father in law got it about 2 months ago and said it was the best thing he'd ever bought (and he doesn't usually exaggerate!).

Sky+ is worlds apart from normal Sky and NTL. Reception issues are obviously different depending on where you live, but if you've had Sky before at the same address (just like me) I'm sure you'll be fine.

Another point to remember is that the digibox is probably built better than NTL's version (is yours a dodgy PACE one like mine was?), and certainly more up to date, so connections to your plasma etc will benefit.

I can't recommend it highly enough, and that's after using it for a week. The only downside is you may neglect other areas of your life in favour of watching all the stuff you can now record at the touch of a button (including two different channels at once!). Magic...

:rotfl:

12. Vipen

Vipen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    awe, you guys, guess what dropped out of the sun newspaper today (not my copy honest).......a sky panflet!!! :laugh: and i've just fished it out of the bin!!!

ok, so assuming my xmas present will be sky+ (can't believe it, didn't i ask about a PW7?), what boards will i need if i order the plasma soon. and where from? anyone better than anyone else???

after about 8 years renting 36" crt waiting for plasma/lcd development and pricing the momentum has finally moved to such a pace that i'm ready. feels good, especially as i've been lurking on these forums for far too long. :clap:

cheers guys

13. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good decision! I reckon MAW and I should join Sky's sales force, could be something in it for us... :laugh:

Re connections: there's a LOT of conversation and a vast number of posts surrounding this question, and ultimately I think it boils down to this:

1) How demanding are you of your screen? (i.e. do you NEED to get the BEST possible picture or will you be happy with an easy life and just a "great" picture?

2) What devices will you use with it? (i.e. do you have lots of SCART-reliant peripherals or do you have "better" connection options?)

3) How easy (viz. "wife-friendly"!) does it need to be to set up and use?

4) How much are you prepared to spend?

Personally, being a plasma virgin until a few weeks ago, I went for the 37" PW7 with free SCART board, and at the time I also ordered the RCA Composite board, which is still out of stock today - I may actually call them later today and ask to switch to the BNC Component board (as recommended by MAW in a different thread) as I'm probably only using that terminal for Xbox/PS2 anyway, and I have component leads for both - which is allegedly a far superior picture than Composite.

The SCART board is easy enough to use and pretty effective with Sky+ (and DVD daisy-chained) running through it, but I have already started to get the feeling that I'm not making the most of my screen (this is supported by many on this forum who feel the SCART board doesn't do the screen justice), so I'll probably order the RGB 2 VGA converter from JS-technology.com and use that to plug Sky+ into the VGA port to get a better picture. Not tried it yet but indications are it should significantly improve picture quality, and it's only around £100.

Where to buy: Many people talk about AV-Sales.com on this forum, who were friendly enough to me, but certainly not the cheapest and I received just as good (if not better) service from the company I eventually chose - buyyourav.com . Not only that, but because there's almost no stock of the PW7s around at the moment (6 week waiting list I was quoted this week), buyyourav have reduced their prices to £1309 for the 37" and £1501 for the 42" (including SCART board!) to encourage people to join that waiting list. I don't think you'll do much better than that price personally - in fact buyyourav told me the price would be going back up once stock was in, so presumably ordering now is the only way to get that low price.

Ultimately looking around can save you some money without loss of service, but it's worth checking out online retailers on forums etc to benefit from other people's experiences - and dealtime/pricerunner are always a fairly good place to start once you know what model you want...

Good luck... :thumbsup:

PS - I'm a relative newb myself to this, so don't necessarily take any of the above as gospel!! :rolleyes:

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Don't understand this waiting list malarky. Don't mention the C word to me, I'm now flat out till midnight CE, but after that I see no problems, nor why anyone else should, unless they do not have decent relations with the supplier? Perhaps some of these deals really are too good to be true. It's common practice with some web co's to advertise an astonishing price, take a depost then wait till they have 1000 orders so they can hit panasonic big time. But of course Panny do not have 1000 spare units, they prefer to deal with Alastair, Joe, etc who place advance orders, pay the bill and don't mess about with long waits and unhappy customers bad mouthing Panasonic when it's not their fault.