1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

im not deaf tho

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by gooner#14, Sep 7, 2005.

1. gooner#14

gooner#14
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    just been flicking through the movie channels on sky (while the footie was quiet) and happened to see that matrix rev was on so i thought id watch 10 mins
    THEN :eek: :eek: THERES A CHAP SIGHNING (as in for hard of hearing) now i dont mind having these chaps helping describe wthe sound by using the sighn language. but for gawds sake do it other than prime time !! sorry if this post insults anyone i apolagise if it does. but if i want to watch a film i dont want it ruined by this action :mad: :mad:
    i do hope it was a 1 off and not something that sky plan to indroduce :lease:

2. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
  3. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Why shouldn't a deaf person be able to watch a movie during prime time? It's not like Sky movies don't show each film multiple times :rolleyes:

John

4. gooner#14

gooner#14
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    not bashing deaf people but im not paying 50 pound a month for movies to be ruined!!

5. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    And for any deaf people watching it will have been exactly the opposite - they were no doubt delighted...

John

6. stroppygoblin

stroppygoblin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    9 sky movie channels, 2 sky cinema, each showing on average a dozen movies a day, not to mention all the other 100's of channels and you moan about 1 being signed?

10 to 1 you have this movie on DVD anyway.

I bet you moan that disabled parking spaces are always close to the shop entrance as well.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

7. gooner#14

gooner#14
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    actually no be cause my wife is disabled after a horse riding accident in 2001 when she broke her back. point i was making is if sky can do interactive sports why cant deaf people have the facility to have a sighing person on the movie but at the same time all the rest can turn it off

8. Jules1975

Jules1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This happens on Cbeebies on a Sunday, a signing person is used.

I can see both arguments here. A signing person takes up a quater of the screen, but then why should deaf kids only be able to watch programmes on a Sunday?

I've always wondered why this service couldn't be provided more widely via interactive services? You can have 6 mini screens on BBC interactive so why not one screen with the main programme on and another smaller one at the side with the signing person on? That way deaf people could watch far more programmes with signing without affecting the viewing of others.

9. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Learn sign language yourself - wouldn't be a problem then, would it ? :rolleyes:

10. ZippyCat

ZippyCat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I think Sky should do this for more films and programming, however this should be provided through interactive functionality similar to the descriptive audio and subtitles.

11. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think a chill out is required... It's not like sky show a movie once then never again is it?!

12. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Agree with Jules on this one.
    Are the tv broadcasters only trying to say the hard of hearing only watch tv on Sundays or between 2.00am and 6.00am. Sometimes the sports new has it on very late aswell.
    There must be enough space given the useless crap they bang down the interavtice service to add the sign language option.
    Do the hard of hearing not already get free (I think) a dox that plus into the TV or decoder to show the subtitles automatically????
    Anyway, it only effects 1 movie channel, so I suppose you should take your point up with Sky for not informing you through the on-screen order confirmation!!!!!

13. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    No, they don't. The deaf get very little help from the state. They get a hearing aid, but even then it depends on your post code whether you get a digital one, or a 1980's refurb. My mother-in-law is deaf.

14. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Sorry Nick, didn't mean to offend.
    Years ago when I worked in a TV shop, my manager always use to bang on about it, so I (Wrongly) assumed he was correct.
    Am I correct on my other points though where they should support them through the interactive service?

15. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    No offence taken, but there are a lot of deaf people in this country, and they pay TV licences, so I don't see why they shouldn't have the occasional signed programme.

16. Parklife

Parklife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I really think this should be provided a lot more. Anyone who has watched television with a deaf person will know that subtitles are rubbish. They are always about 30 seconds behind the talking on the program, and often completely different to what has been said. The deaf often lip read and this cannot make life easy for them.

17. beng

beng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is what I cannot understand.

The red button on my remote provides me with access to the wonderful world of digital television. So why can't I turn this feature on and off at my pleasure? Because frankly it gets on my tits. I can access eight different news screens or select the football match of my choice but I can't have sign language on or off? If I were sky I'd be extending my signing service to cover all of the channels I own. I'd also be making it an optional feature via the red button.

18. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Extra video feeds to make this possible would cost money. Would you pay another £3 a month for the facility ?

19. beng

beng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it costing me money for the news feeds? Is it costing me money for the football screens? Does it cost me money for the subtitles? of course, all of these things cost. But is it of value? I think the solution is obvious, others feel free to disagree.

20. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    All these things have a wide appeal, and BBC News has multiple news screens because Sky do, and it's all about competition. However, because of the relatively small number of deaf people in this country, the broadcasters obviously do not think it's worth spending the money on.

21. Spangle2k5

Spangle2k5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I have a deaf girlfriend who is fortunate enough to have Digital Hearing Aids provided by the state. This is all she gets, however.

Deaf people have a pretty rum deal when it comes to watching television.

We have the subtitles on almost full time in our house, which work great for pre-recorded programs, but are totally inadequate for watching news bulletins. They are also only available on the mainstream channels, not History etc.

Despite this, I do agree that having a person in the corner of the screen doing sign language is not the way to go. Given the smaller percentages of viewers who are hard of hearing, I feel that it would be far more sensible to invest this money in better subtitling, rather than sign language interpreters that will get on most peoples nerves.

Despite having reasonably good hearing with the hearing aids in, my girlfriend still only picks up so much speech, rendering VHS all but useless in our house! (who would want it anyway?!), DVD has been a massive breakthrough with the advent of subtitling for movies, but there is still more to be done.

Not sure what this post has accomplished, but thought I'd get my opinion across... !! :)

22. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Why do we need sign language on screen I would have thought the subtitles would have been sufficient?????? :confused:

23. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not all deaf people want to read subtitles. Those who are hard of hearing, and can read sign languge may find it easier to read signs than try and read subtitles and watch the program at the same time. It's all about giving the hard of hearing the choice.