I'm new to this whole "surround sound" thing

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bignose, Dec 30, 2004.

1. bignose

bignose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm not sure if this fits in "cabling" "dvd players" or "receivers."..

I've been running 2 channel for years, and for xmas got the rest of the wharfedale diamond 8 set to complete my surround setup.

Fronts = diamond 8.2's.
    Rears = DFS 18's [bi pole surround]
    centre = diamond 8 centre.

Reciever is a kenwood 106vr, with dolby prologic.
    DVD player is an rca 5225p dvd player.

Here is the issue, the back of the dvd player has 6 rca outs. 2 fronts, 2 rears, a center and a sub. However my amp if configured to only use 2 rca in's per device. [ie cd player, dvd etc...]

Does this mean I should just upgrade my dvd player , to one that sends it's surround out on 2 wires ?

Thanks.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,034
    No. It almost certainly already does.

Surround sound comes in various flavours. True multi-channel surround is Dolby Digital or DTS and has 5 (sometimes more) separate channels of sound.

To get this you need an amplifier that can reproduce it.

Then there's Dolby Pro Logic (and other similar types). This is, I guess what your (fairly old?) amplifier has. Dolby ProLogic is carried using only two channels of signal. The amp or receiver "looks" at the contents of the left and right channels and using fairly simple techniques of phase difference and so on, reconstructs actually four different channels of sound - front centre, left, right, and rear. The rear isn't bound to be active all the time - many soundtracks make little use of the rears.

To make use of your amp, you need only to connect the stereo outputs (i.e 2 channels, left and right) of your DVD player. You may need to configure it to produce stereo. I guess this will be in a menu somewhere - check the manual. The amp will generate ProLogic surround from this stereo pair.

However, to get true multi-channel audio, you will need an amplifier with either

- an onboard Dolby Digital/DTS decoder or
    - the six separate inputs to match the outputs on your DVD.

The latter will be impossible to find, so you're looking at buying the former.

3. bignose

bignose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: