Question I'm new to 4K and Samsung KS8000 needed! Stutter/Judder/Flickering.

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by TJC, Dec 29, 2016.

1. TJC

TJC
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Everyone,

ANY HELP, MUCH APPRECIATED!

Please take the time to read and help if you can.

I'm fairly new here :(

I've always considered myself a little tech savvy in the sense that I like my TV's, consoles, gadget etc. And know how to work them etc. However, I'm struggling here.

Up until recently I had owned a good 1080p Sony TV for 6-7 years, it did me proud. However, I'm a big gamer and a couple of months ago I decided that I wanted to make the jump to 4k and a ps4 pro with the added benefit of 4k movies. So I did my research/read reviews and decided I would get the KS7000.

Whilst doing research I realised that there was a lot of new terminology and buzzwords in the TV industry compared to when I last bought a TV which I found to be a bit of a minefield. All of the reviews (avforums, hdtvtest, whathifi, rtings, trsuted reviews and various others) said the ks7000 was excellent TV with no major issues. I read a few consumer reviews on the likes of argos/littlewoods and some people said they were experiencing judder/flickering on fast moving images. However, with the reviews saying otherwise I decided to go with this TV as it must be good.

As it happened, I ended up buying the KS8000 as they its all they had in stock and it was discounted. I heard it had better specs mainly better processor and motion handling than the KS7000 too. So I thought, bonus!

Now I have the KS8000 and I'm extremely happy with the image quality (detail/colours/4k/hdr etc) and the build of TV. However I am experiencing this stutter/judder and its really distracting! It mainly happens on fast panning shots or when there's a close up of someone's and they move it quickly etc.

I had my old tv and new tv playing the same game side by side and although the image quality is leaps and bound ahead, I can clearly see the old tv 'runs smoother'. Now I paid nearly 1200 for this TV and it is 8 years ahead of my old tv when it comes to the technology. I expected my new TV to run better than my old in all departments considering how far tech has come? Is this a trade off of having 4k? Should I have expected to lose motion quality?

It's seems to judder more on certain sources too? I ran a avatar blu ray and didn't seem to bad however still noticeable. Netflix was fairly bad and so was iplayer (both through ps4). Watch dogs 2 was noticeable. The Last Guardian was actually pretty good. Normal TV was ok but still noticeable.

I've tried tweaking the settings but it's still noticeable? Can anyone help?

At the moment I have a slight bitter taste in my mouth, paying so much for a brand new tv with new tech and feeling like, in one department (pretty important department) its underperforming when compared to my 7 year old tv.

2. alom5

alom5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    I've just had a delivery of this tv and set it up. There is some serious dse and motion blur. Even on uhd hdr. Pretty pathetic. I'm actually shocked at how bad it is. I will read through the owners thread and see if it will get better, else i will have to return it and go back to my Sony. It really is a shocker.

3. paulr2006

paulr2006
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,491
    Have you turned off all motion handling? also might be worth following AVF reviewers recommended settings, no guarantee but I suspect it will improve things no end.

4. pirmas

pirmas
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Do you have European version? What exact model number? Ks8002 etc...

5. Silverblack

Silverblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +578
    Not experiencing this i have the auto motion set to custom

Blur reduction 8

Judder reduction 5

all noise reduction settings set to off also on hd sources the screen format is set to fit to screen.

On various sources i have smooth motion, think this tv has an outstanding picture quality. After shelling out big money you would expect to see a vast improvement so feel for you there.

Have a go with these settings oh also i have the picture set to movie.

6. alom5

alom5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    My set seems to have settled down and it's much better. [emoji3] I'm happy it's half the price of my last tv and the picture is not that far off, although the hdr on the Sony is untouchable as it stands. But I'm happy as there isn't that much hdr available right now [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

7. sebazvideo

sebazvideo
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got a 65" KS8000 as well and I think I know what you mean. Previously I had a 60" KU6300, which is a 60 Hz set, and before that, an older Samsung 1080p 60" set, which was also a 60 Hz set. The first movie I played on the KS8000 was "Lucy" on UHD from the Panasonic DMP-UB900 player, because it seems to be considered one of the movies with superb picture quality. And that it has, but every time there was a long pan or some longer camera movement, the flicker was unbearable. It was like everything in the picture was duplicated and flickered.

However, that varies a lot depending on the movie, because on the Batman v Superman UHD Blu-ray, I barely see that effect during pans and other camera movements. My guess is that it has to do in part with the shutter speed in the camera for that specific scene. But as for why it is so evident to us, it might be because your old Sony set, and my older Samsung sets, are 60 Hz and therefore use 3:2 pulldown to turn 24 fps into 60. So we're used to see 24 fps in a way that is not the way it's supposed to be, but that our eyes got used to over the years, so now that seems normal, and when we watch motion in a 120 Hz TV set, it looks unnatural. Does that make any sense?

8. alom5

alom5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    I was talking about the zd9,. Which has some outstanding panels.... No motion blur or dse , banding, clouding etc Unfortunately there are too many flaws with the android operating system and the screen is a bit detached from the frame and moved when you try cleaning the screen which i couldn't accept.

9. scott1809

scott1809
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm in a similar situation to you TJC. Have been enjoying my Pioneer Plasma for past 6 years and made the jump to this Samsung model.

Like you, I find the picture to judder / flicker in places but it is intermittent and random.

I wonder if it is question of trying different settings or just something that you expect with LED sets?

Will try the settings Silverblack mentions above to see if I notice any change.

Any other owners of this set noticed this kind of issue?

10. sebazvideo

sebazvideo
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think it's the set, in some movies it's more noticeable than others. Lucy and Star Trek Into Darkness have it more prominent, but I've watched the whole set of the Bourne movies and barely noticed it. I think it has to do more with the shutter speed they used for a specific movie or scene. If you shoot with high shutter speeds and do a pan or move the camera a lot, you're going to notice it much more.