Im needing help with Audigy 2 zs!!

BOUMSONG

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.

This thread might be quite long winded and i have tried to find out answers for myself but as i have spent a lot of money i would like to actually enjoy my equipment now without footering about so thats where you come in!

Anyway, a couple of months ago i purcahsed this - http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=122459&cks=SER

It was largely at the time for sky and my xbox. However, with sky i use a tv link upstairs so i cant plug a scart into my digibox. The net result is for some reason sound only comes from the front speakers. More importantly though, does this support proper DD5.1 yeah? I really dont know too much about it! The decoder has a button for DD EX etc...

When i play DD 5.1 with my xbox its good. I have the three front speakers and the two rears behind me. But when i upmix to DD EX, i get 6.1 sound yeah? So therefore one of my sides produces sound? But then its a bit odd having ONE side producing sound? Surely the side producing sound becomes a rear as well and needs repositioning?

Now onto the pc. A week or so ago i decided to get the best out of my stuff i should get a proper 7.1 card and thus i bought an Audigy 2 zs. I connect it to my speakers using the green, black and orange connectors. Someone said i would get better sound if i connected through my decoder as i would then get digital sound or something? I tried connecting an optical from the decoder to the digital port at the back of the card but it didn't seem to work...Was it the wrong connector?

My next question is getting actual 5.1 DD. Take the second series of 24 for example. It is supports DD 5.1. When i play it with windows media player it says Dolby Digital at the bottom but i dont know whether media player supports it properly and it certainly doesn't sound like proper 5.1 :confused: . I have tried Power DVD and intervideo as well (although media player uses intervideo for its sound does it not?) and they dont seem to give proper 5.1 DD either.

Please help!! :lease:

I am having similar problems with my audidgy card. They dont make it simple to connect up to a dolby digital reciever. It looks like they want you to buy their speakers to connet to thier sound cards. I have never encountered such a fiddly set up. Why they dont just have a toslink on the cards and a simple direct connection to a reciever is beyond me. I have a coax cable and a minjack to phono adapter going into my amp. The best I can get is prologic. I have been told this card is a lot more simple to use.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5169703031

There are a few threads which have help me but none have given me 5.1 digital sound.

Creative why have you made this such a pig to set up.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
But would i be able to get 5.1DD and if so how?

Anyway, i was looking around the boxes my speakers and stuff came in and i found two cables. One had a orange head and goes into the digital out. the other connects to the other end and then into my decoders coaxial port. However, when playing sound only comes from two speakers? And yes ive set my decoder ot coaxial etc.

Mrm3

Thank you for the tip, it has sorted my 5.1 problem out. I now have 5.1 through my coax and am using powerdvd6.

Your a life saver thanks again.

Heres the instructions.

I found this thread while looking for a solution to a problem getting 5.1 out of my Audigy2 and a coax digital connection. I found the fix for this and wanted to share.

Basically I was going for the 5.1 pass-through using PowerDVD 5, an Audigy 2 Gamer (no "Live Drive"), a coax output and an Onkyo 6.1 home theater system (with decoder built into the receiver). I wanted 6.1 (Dolby/DTS EX) for the movies, and channel for my regular Windows stuff, with the ability to use my headphone/microphone all without a bunch of clicking on sound settings everytime I changed applications (the analog 5.1 connections required me to change my control panel settings for each application--and denied me any use of the rear center 6.1 capability because the receiver didn't have an analog input for that channel). I use the headphones 50% of the time, and the amp'd sound the other 50%. This offers no capability that I have seen yet to get 5.1 out of games or whatever (not a factor for me really). I'm not sure I have any games that are capable of this...

SW settings are like folks have already said: Creative Audio HQ-->Device Properties-->Decoder = SPDIF passthru. Creative Speaker Settings -->2/2.1, Synch with control panel, Digital Only. PowerDVD audio config is SPDIF. I feel like I tried all this already, but didn't see it working until now (was always stereo PCM at best)--maybe one of them was off or something. This lets everything in my Windows environment be 2-channel, except DVD playback which gives the 6.1 stuff--on my receiver I do have to push the "surround" button to get the receiver into multi-channel mode, otherwise it stays stereo-only. The receiver kicks straight back to stereo when I shut down PowerDVD (it senses the tremor in the Force or something...)

None of the "speaker tests" in Windows will show all the channels working. My indications for success were hearing the good stuff, and seeing the correct things on the receiver info display. Bonus here is that the digital output in the stereo mode is decoded by the receiver to give me the 2.1 subwoofer action--so even stereo sounds better now. Nothing new really I guess, but the directions are not clear at all for this and I was beginning to wonder whether the Audigy2 was capable of this via the coax at all, thankfully it is. Also works for 6.1 from PowerDVD in HDD mode.

Now I have it all set up in windvd 6 for 5.1 dvd playback some of my divx films are messed up and any HD films shown through windows media are the same. Argghhh.

OK im about to look into the last couple of replies, i didn't really expect to get much feedback so i havent been checking this site :oops: .

Anyway, before i do that i will say this - when i do the THX setup i get nothing from all speakers other than two at the front in the noise test. However, after setting up the DVD advanced settings in media player to SPDIF i get 7.1 in digital other than analogue. The thing is though, the decoder wont let me select Dolby Dig...

And in saying that im no further on thn just going down the analogue router!

Razor said:
Mrm3

Thank you for the tip, it has sorted my 5.1 problem out. I now have 5.1 through my coax and am using powerdvd6.

Your a life saver thanks again.

Heres the instructions.

I found this thread while looking for a solution to a problem getting 5.1 out of my Audigy2 and a coax digital connection. I found the fix for this and wanted to share.

Basically I was going for the 5.1 pass-through using PowerDVD 5, an Audigy 2 Gamer (no "Live Drive"), a coax output and an Onkyo 6.1 home theater system (with decoder built into the receiver). I wanted 6.1 (Dolby/DTS EX) for the movies, and channel for my regular Windows stuff, with the ability to use my headphone/microphone all without a bunch of clicking on sound settings everytime I changed applications (the analog 5.1 connections required me to change my control panel settings for each application--and denied me any use of the rear center 6.1 capability because the receiver didn't have an analog input for that channel). I use the headphones 50% of the time, and the amp'd sound the other 50%. This offers no capability that I have seen yet to get 5.1 out of games or whatever (not a factor for me really). I'm not sure I have any games that are capable of this...

SW settings are like folks have already said: Creative Audio HQ-->Device Properties-->Decoder = SPDIF passthru. Creative Speaker Settings -->2/2.1, Synch with control panel, Digital Only. PowerDVD audio config is SPDIF. I feel like I tried all this already, but didn't see it working until now (was always stereo PCM at best)--maybe one of them was off or something. This lets everything in my Windows environment be 2-channel, except DVD playback which gives the 6.1 stuff--on my receiver I do have to push the "surround" button to get the receiver into multi-channel mode, otherwise it stays stereo-only. The receiver kicks straight back to stereo when I shut down PowerDVD (it senses the tremor in the Force or something...)

None of the "speaker tests" in Windows will show all the channels working. My indications for success were hearing the good stuff, and seeing the correct things on the receiver info display. Bonus here is that the digital output in the stereo mode is decoded by the receiver to give me the 2.1 subwoofer action--so even stereo sounds better now. Nothing new really I guess, but the directions are not clear at all for this and I was beginning to wonder whether the Audigy2 was capable of this via the coax at all, thankfully it is. Also works for 6.1 from PowerDVD in HDD mode.

OK i did some of that but i dont want to haeve just 2 speakers working for itunes, games etc!

Have you tried Creatives support?

I found them very helpful and got replies within 24 hours.

Dave

Glad to have have helped... a bit.

BOUMSONG said:
OK i did some of that but i dont want to haeve just 2 speakers working for itunes, games etc!

Thats why I just use the individual analogue outs rather than the single digital out to the receiver. So i still get 5.1 but with more wires and the soundcard doing the decoding...I think. Still gives me want I want and sounds great.

I also have the medusa 5.1 headphones which handily give me all the leads needed for this.

damn Creative though :(

I think the audigy platinum card is OK... so it was worth the extra few pounds... live and learn.

OK thanks for your help!

Im not an audiophile, not even close, im just a guy trying to get decent 5.1 sound when watching DVD's. For example, as i might have mentioned im watching 24 series 2 just now and it would be fantastic if i could get 5.1DD with that!

But im still confused, how the fook do i get this? Because i can still get 5.1 DD with an analogue connection? So all i need to do is buy powerdvd with the audio codec??? I have power DVD but it doesn't seem to give 5.1 DD.

O for the love of god im confused, sorry if i sound like a dunce!!!

WOAH YOU GUYS TOTALLY ROCK!

I JUST FOLLOWED THE INSTRUCTIONS AND SLOTTED IN RONIN. POWERDVD FIRED UP AND THE DOLBY DIG LIGHT ON MY DECODER STARTED FLASHING!!!! i COULD TELL IMMEDIATELY THAT IT WAS 5.1dd BECAUSE IT SOUNDED LIKE THE CINEMA!

woot!

Edit - I know it means a lot of cables but being a student if anything more cables give my room a bit of taste instead of random glasses and things around the room :devil:

What about .avi and the like?

Formats which are not strictly DVD??
Do i have to listen to them with stereo?

Oh btw i dont have to select 2/2.1, 7/7.1 works :) .

ARRGHH

I decided to revert back to analogue for media player as i wanted to watch something (not a dvd).

Everything is coming from just the two fronts though! I have undone all the stuff like Audio HQ, the THX setup etc!!

Bousong.

I got the same result, its a pain in the arse. I have found this little box which may solve our problems.

http://uk.europe.creative.com/shop/product.asp?GCID=C13297x003&prod=773&overlang=1&overcoun=8

From what I can understand creative want you to buy the plantium card instead of the normal card. But this unit only says its compatible with:

* Sound Blaster® Live! 24 bit and
* Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Value ONLY

I will have to try and contact creative again about this. If I cant get it working I'm gonna buy this card instead.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5169703031

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
So your getting two speakers working when you switch back to analogue too? I suppose i can just keep it in digital...However, sound only comes out other speakers if i select Dolby Prologic Music or Cinema, NEO:6 Music or Cinema, which should i pick?

All i can get is prologic, sometimes the rears are played throught the front L/R its a right mess. Some things sound very good, some sound echoie, I just had to try different combos untill it sounded good. Tried 48hz and 96hz etc.

I wish I knew how much trouble this would be before I got the card, I would of got the platinum edition or another make. It says in the manual that the digi out is only for creative 5.1 speakers. If you want to connect to an external reciever then you will need a platinum card or an attchment.

Big con. A good friend of mine has the full creative 7.1 system and a audigy 2 zs and has no problems at all.

Sounds like you guys mostly got it sorted out, but I thought I would share my config.

I have an Audigy 2 OEM - so no break out box or other peripherals. Just the sound card. I am using my Radeon 9800 to do the DVD decoding, and playing DVDs in Windows Media Player 10 on XP. I pass the DD and DTS through my Audigy to my Creative Z500 speakers connected to the coaxial input. Works like a charm! For gaming and everything else, I have the speakers connected to the 3 mini jacks (front/rear/center) on the Audigy.

To get DD and DTS passed through I did the following:
- minijack mono to RCA cable connected to audigy card digital out port and to the decoder of my speakers coaxial input for DD/DTS
- creative audioHQ set to SPDIF passthrough for DD
- creative speakers settings set to 5.1, synched with control panel, digital output UNCHECKED
- installed FFDSHOW and set DD/DTS codecs to SPDIF output

And thats it! When I play DVDs in media player I change my speakers to the coaxial input and they correctly recieve the DD or DTS sound. Sounds great! When I am gaming, I set my speakers to the 6channel direct and I get full 3d sound.

No problems!! The key was installing FFDSHOW - before I did that I got a message "this pin is not supported for the media type" in Windows Media Player. After changing the DD and DTS codecs to SPDIF output in FFDSHOW, its all gravy. :)

Hope that helps someone.

Generally I have found the best result for gaming is to use the analogue out jacks, but for dvd viewing the digital out is the only way to go to acheive full multi-channel surround, ie. DD or DTS.
You are right in that Creative haven't made the whole proccess a completely simple thing to get your head round, particularly when it comes to playing through an external decoder.

To get 5.1 into a seperate decoder you will need something like a mini-jack to RCA adapter to enable you to plug in a digital coaxial audio cable into the digital out on the Audigy 2 ZS, and the other end into the decoder / receiver of course. The first problem which Creative throw at you here is that the Creative setup test tones will not work with this manor of connection, which can sometimes lead you to think that your surround output is not working. The full complement of test tones only work with analogue connections or a Creative speaker setup.
It is worthwhile noting also that connecting to an external amp does not straight away light up the Dolby Digital light like the NForce board soundcards do., but only when it receives such a signal from the source.

Once you have connected your Audigy 2 to decoder via the digital out, all you need to do is make sure that 5.1, 6.1, etc is enabled on the card and that sp/dif pass-through is enabled within the dvd playback software.
Once the dvd is fired up then you should see the faithful glow of the DD light on your decoder / receiver, providing of course that your source is actually encoded with DD / DTS.

If I read right in that one of you was expecting multi-channel output from AVI, then it aint going to happen. AVI is a compressed video format and will not carry 5.1 audio.

Hope this clears up some of the fog.

Stellavision said:
Generally I have found the best result for gaming is to use the analogue out jacks, but for dvd viewing the digital out is the only way to go to acheive full multi-channel surround, ie. DD or DTS.

I find the analogue out jacks is fine for 5.1 ? All speakers are working.

I have the leads for digital out (3.5 mm mono to coaxial on my amp) but do not want to keep switching software to sp/dif pass-through depending on what I am doing.

WOW thanks for all the info guys :clap: :thumbsup: !

Just to reiterate, im NO audiophile, the only reason im going the digital route is like razer i cant get DD with analogue as i kind find a player which does this! It only seems to work if i do it digitally and my decoder picks up the 5.1 DD.

Stellavision said:
You are right in that Creative haven't made the whole proccess a completely simple thing to get your head round, particularly when it comes to playing through an external decoder.

To get 5.1 into a seperate decoder you will need something like a mini-jack to RCA adapter to enable you to plug in a digital coaxial audio cable into the digital out on the Audigy 2 ZS, and the other end into the decoder / receiver of course. The first problem which Creative throw at you here is that the Creative setup test tones will not work with this manor of connection, which can sometimes lead you to think that your surround output is not working. The full complement of test tones only work with analogue connections or a Creative speaker setup.
It is worthwhile noting also that connecting to an external amp does not straight away light up the Dolby Digital light like the NForce board soundcards do., but only when it receives such a signal from the source.

Once you have connected your Audigy 2 to decoder via the digital out, all you need to do is make sure that 5.1, 6.1, etc is enabled on the card and that sp/dif pass-through is enabled within the dvd playback software.
Once the dvd is fired up then you should see the faithful glow of the DD light on your decoder / receiver, providing of course that your source is actually encoded with DD / DTS.

If I read right in that one of you was expecting multi-channel output from AVI, then it aint going to happen. AVI is a compressed video format and will not carry 5.1 audio.

Hope this clears up some of the fog.

I have Creative speakers as linked to in my orignal post and the test still doesn't work right!

Oh and by the way now with analogue i only get thr fronts STILL!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom