I'm Lost, LCD LED, QLED, OLED etc

Be careful if you are planning to draw conclusions in the shop. Shops can make one TV look better than the next even when it will have worse picture quality at home. Best instead to just base your purchase on reviews and user feedback:

Hisense H55U7AUK 4K TV Review

For example from the owners thread:
Hisense 50/55/65 U7A Owners Thread

Shop modes, difference in lighting, distance from the TV, content material and incorrect set up picture modes make side by side comparisons impossible.

Thanks.

Just seen Samsung released a bunch of new stuff today... I thinking prices on these two brands will be coming down, with the new stuff coming out?

Yes, prices may drop more on 2018 models now.

Hisense don’t have a naming convention yet so it’s difficult to tell what model has replaced the U7A.

Re Hisense QLED, they used it last year on their U9A but it wasn’t implemented properly and the colour gamut didn’t get near Samsung levels. That’s why I’d not be waiting for this next one.

I just bought a refurbished 55" Panasonic FX700b from their ebay store for £449 to go down in a bar I've built at the end of my garden. Should do everything you require as it has an IPS panel.

As for it being refurbed, as far as I can tell it's brand new - the box was tatty but hadn't been opened previously, and everything inside was wrapped as if it was new. Suspect i was fortunate enough to just get a damaged box one

OLED is by far and away the best for PQ at this point in time, so a no brainer.

Thanks guys, i'll take a look at some refurbs now its been mentioned. I've been popping back to currys and places waiting for price drops and a TV caught my eye.

There was a display of LG OLED TV's in a set of 4. Obviously they all looked brilliant, but was surprised that one of them was £799. I then noticed this was in fact a 55 inch 4k HDR LED. 55SK850V Eh? Was running the same media as the OLED's looked just as good and was only £800. Whats the trick here?

Can anyone give any info on this model 55SK850V, is it any good, looked as flawless as the OLED's?I'm assuming its some kind of trick with the demo being used else you would of mentioned it already.

I've noticed Argos is selling them for £700 and with my sister in law working for them can get a further 10% off. So can get it for £630... if its as good as it seemed.

Last edited:
The SK8500 is an LG LCD, not an OLED.
I would only recommend that model if you were looking to have better than average viewing angles and you can't afford OLED.

Other options if you do not need wide viewing angles are more suitable, such as the Samsung NU8000.

The fact that you thought it look just as good as the OLEDs is not a testiment to how good its picture quality is, its just reinforces the golden rule of never being able to judge a TV in the shop. There are too many setup errors, bad lighting and demo's set up that compliment each TV, this doesn't make for true comparison to when you have the TV home.

any good locations for refurbs... might be open to a OLED refurb.

Need to check refurb models of these other TV's mentioned... thinking if there cheaper can get a sound bar too.

Refurb shops I know of in the UK:

Sony Centre - Refurbished
Panasonic Official Outlet | eBay Shops

You will find refurbs from LG on other websites occasionally like LG OLEDs from hughes.co.uk or ebuyer.com .

Samsung I have not seen any refurbs at all, same with Hisense/Philips.

Sometimes you can also find the odd refurb or open box at richer sounds.

Do you need wide viewing angles or view direct in front? If you do not need good viewing angles and you want the best price per picture quality together with decent HDR you should keep an an eye on the Sony XF9005 appearing in the Sony centre direct refurb store. It will appear and disappear sometimes within minutes.

Richer Sounds Clearance section - look at the warehouse part

Refurb shops I know of in the UK:

Sony Centre - Refurbished
Panasonic Official Outlet | eBay Shops

You will find refurbs from LG on other websites occasionally like LG OLEDs from hughes.co.uk or ebuyer.com .

Samsung I have not seen any refurbs at all, same with Hisense/Philips.

Sometimes you can also find the odd refurb or open box at richer sounds.

Do you need wide viewing angles or view direct in front? If you do not need good viewing angles and you want the best price per picture quality together with decent HDR you should keep an an eye on the Sony XF9005 appearing in the Sony centre direct refurb store. It will appear and disappear sometimes within minutes.

Thanks! In regards to the viewing angle, after seeing instore how the view would degrade I'm not bothered about a wide view. This was something for when guests came round, would rather have the superior view for myself.

Hisense U7A and Samsung NU8000 55" and over are the goto options for the best quality on a budget.

For decent HDR, the Sony XF9005.

In my quest at looking for refurbs I stumbled on a LG OLED 55 C7V. Their going for £4-500. Would these be better then other models mentioned?

Would these be better then other models mentioned?
Yes, provided they do not show signs of burn in. The C7 is the 2017 equivlent of the B8 which sells for £1000 now.

Right so the prices seems to be dropping a lot at the moment for Easter...

Samsung q6fn 55 inch with code tv30 for 769 pounds in Richer Sounds. 6 Year guarantee

Would that be better then the Samsung NU8000/NU8070? Or the LG KS8500, seems to be around the same price point and spec.

I can get 55 NU8000 from argos for £656 with staff discount off inlaw, comes with a HW N300 soundbar too. Is the extra £100 worth it for the Q6?

Last edited:
Q6FN - Same as the NU8000 but with a slightly better colour gamut with HDR.
LG SK8500 - A TV for someone who needs wider viewing angles than the NU8000/Q6FN can provide. In the respect of blacks, contrast and screen uniformity this TV will not be as good.

You need to decide whether you need wide vieiwng angles or not, otherwise bringing the LG into the comparison is pointless.

But at £113 extra and a 6 year warranty compared to a 1 year and a £115 soundbar (if you want a soundbar) makes them about even.

Get the NU8000 if you want the sound bar, don't mind only a year warranty and aren't planning to use HDR.

Get the Q6FN if you want extra warranty and will use HDR more.

Any idea how often people use there warranty on these new screens?

My last Samsung still going strong. Must be 10 years or close.

If they are more prone to issue it would be prudent to go with richer sounds. Could also price match with John Lewis or someone with good customer service.

Any idea how often people use there warranty on these new screens?
I think that the chances are they won't fail within that time, if not the retailers wouldn't be offering them.

But build quality has gone downhill so having the extra piece of mind is probably worth it.

If I were in your shoes I'd probably just get the Q6FN since its such a good price right now and you get the warranty and better service on top of that from richer.

Then later on, if you find TVs sound isn't good enough, buy a soundbar.

That way you can get a better sound bar down the line and one that that gives better sound that the bundled one.

I think you've convinced me to go for the Q6.... Although, I thought it was consumer law in the UK to offer 6 years... I assumed that's why so many advertised it, and those that dont trying to get away with it.

Well I think I'm going to pull the trigger today. Found a retailers selling the q6 at same price 650£. Will price match with rich sounds unless someone can convinces me the hw-400 soundbar is good for the other deal with the u8000

Its a low end model so probably isn't great. Here is a review of the HW-N400: Samsung HW-N400 Review: a decent entry-level soundbar which reviews okay

Its the HW-N300 you get free too, not even the 400.

If you price match elsewhere with richer and the other store has a 5 year warranty they will beat the price. They will also offer you a deal with a soundbar too I am sure if you ask them.

So, this TV has been fantastic, My mothers TV just gone. Saying she wants the same as me the NU8000. Would you still recommend this now or is there a newer version out?

There are newer models out now. Hard to find the NU8000.

It hasn't really been replaced either, you need the Samsung Q70T to stick with Samsung and retain a 120hz panel in 2020.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom