I'm looking to preferably buy a 40" - 42", with 1080p full HD for under £1000

Vinicius

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm a noob, as you can tell. I'm usually reading these forums for answers but thought it would be easier to ask my own questions.

I'm looking to preferably buy a 40" - 42", with 1080p full HD for under £1000.

I've keep finding ones which I think are perfect, then change my mind. Originally it was the Toshiba 42Z3030D recently I've been looking at the Samsung LE40A656.
I need it mostly for playing my PS3 on, mostly games, and the occasional Blu-Ray. I've got standard Sky+ too.

Does anyone know which of these would be better, or could you recommend a better TV?

Cheers all,

Vin

Hi Vin, I was in currys last night. The best screens by far were the LE40A656 and the LE40A556, I thought. The 656 looked incredibly sharp and clear, more so than the 556 but even the 556 was amazing, much better than the surrounding LG's and Sony's. Assuming you don't get a friday afternoon unit then the sammy's will do you proud I think - I'm very tempted to get one.

Then again it was currys and they don't exactly set their tv's up well, do they?

Daz

Yeah currys are the worst place to help you as they care about samsung only and they leave the others set up badly.An other excellent tv into consideration is the Sony KDL-40W4000 new model

Yeah currys are the worst place to help you as they care about samsung only and they leave the others set up badly.An other excellent tv into consideration is the Sony KDL-40W4000 new model
Chris on what grounds do you base that statement?

Curly

About currys?I have experienced the same to our local dixons/electroworld stores and seems like the same is in the UK by many store visitors.Here in greece dixons/electroworld just feed 100 tv's and over with a <<channel>> usually fashion at a crappy quality.There are only 2-3 tv's that are connected either with ps3 or xbox so as to test it really.

About currys?I have experienced the same to our local dixons/electroworld stores and seems like the same is in the UK by many store visitors.Here in greece dixons/electroworld just feed 100 tv's and over with a <<channel>> usually fashion at a crappy quality.There are only 2-3 tv's that are connected either with ps3 or xbox so as to test it really.
That maybe true but that does not explain the statement
they care about samsung only and they leave the others set up badly

Curly

Yeah I said that because someone today went to currys and said that samsung was the only good set up product so I am maybe wrong at this statement

I definitely did get that sort of impression chris. I went to another currys yesterday just to see how they had their tv's set up and surprisingly all seemed to be through hd inputs. Despite this, the samsung models did still look better than the others... in my opinion :D

well my local currys had two pods setup with bluray players. one 40" samsung 6 series and one toshiba 40" XF.

the samsung did look a lot smoother but actually too smooth, making film look like video if that makes sense. I'm sure its a setting you can turn off.

shame they didn't have a toshiba Z connected up as I wanted to compare the two (and then choose either Z/ZF based on size)

the samsung was very impressive though, but its difficult to compare like for like unless they let you loose with a copy of DVE and the remotes. Might try that one day. I'll also take my HD camcorder in to check the same source against different TVs.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom