im looking to dabble in the superbit world, but....

bad ass

I'm thinking about getting a few superbit dvd's to test the ol' system, are they that drastically different from normal dvd's? in theory, yes they should be but I thought I might ask before I buy a few of my dolby dvds that i can get in superbit dts.

the klang

hello mate!
iv got-
bram stokers DRACULA,superbit
GATTACA superbit
LEON=THE PROFESSIONAL superbit
STARSHIPTROOPERS superbit.
and thought they where all really good and better than the normal coppies i had allready got.but to be fair other people iv spoken to say its just a gimmick and im only seeing what i think i should be seeing.
they are cheep enough now in HMV,get one if you dont like it sell it..

the klang

ps ,
just looked at your home cinema pics,nice stuff .

Amar

the klang said:
hello mate!
iv got-
bram stokers DRACULA,superbit
GATTACA superbit
LEON=THE PROFESSIONAL superbit
STARSHIPTROOPERS superbit.
and thought they where all really good and better than the normal coppies i had allready got.but to be fair other people iv spoken to say its just a gimmick and im only seeing what i think i should be seeing.
they are cheep enough now in HMV,get one if you dont like it sell it..

Sorry to butt in on this but:

Where did you get the Starship Troopers Superbit from? I've only ever seen it on region 1 and believe it is an rce disc. I've been wanting it for ages now.

Razor

Distinguished Member
Bad Ass

Theres a fair few threads on Superbit dvd's have a search in these forums and you should find all the info you need.

Superbit dvd's were good 5 or so years ago but now a normal dvd should have the same quality as Superbit dvds (except Sony dvds).

I doubt you will be impressed with superbit as your a HD fan like myself. :)

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Amar said:
..Where did you get the Starship Troopers Superbit from? I've only ever seen it on region 1 and believe it is an rce disc. ...
If you are multiregion, this should not cause you any issues, assuming you can still get it.

If you aren't - you should be.

hottstuff

Banned
simply put , testing superbit dvds against normal copies , using a bitrate tester , does show a higher bitrate on superbit dvds .
But some people will notice a difference others wont , and different displays and setups will be the same.
It would be similar to someone comparing 256kbs mp3 with 320kbs mp3.

Amar

LV426 said:
If you are multiregion, this should not cause you any issues, assuming you can still get it.

If you aren't - you should be.

I am multi region but the only super bit Starship Troopers I've seen is RCE encoded. I thought you can't play RCE discs on multi region players?!?!?

Or am I mistaken??

Razor

Distinguished Member
Amar said:
I am multi region but the only super bit Starship Troopers I've seen is RCE encoded. I thought you can't play RCE discs on multi region players?!?!?

Or am I mistaken??

Your mistaken mate. :)

Amar

That's excellent news. I've been holding back all this time for no reason then. Just went on the play usa site and it has a section (see link) talking about rce saying it might not work on all multi region players. How do I know they;ll work in my player. Sorry if it sounds stupid but play won't refund if it doesn't work:

http://www.playusa.com/DVD/Region_1/3-/120134/-/Product.html

Razor

Distinguished Member
RCE should work with most region free players. On my player I have to use a simple hack for it to work. RCE was ment to be the uncrackable region coding but it didnt last 5 mins before it was cracked.

Amar

LOL...That's quite funny.

So I guess if I can find a way to 'crack it' on my player, then I should be fine.

M

magicmushrooms

I usually find if I can't find a DTS version of a particular film then Superbit tends to be the way to go. I haven't got a decent visual set-up but I generally consider that one day I will and will probably appreciate the higher picture quality then.

Razor

Distinguished Member
Amar said:
LOL...That's quite funny.

So I guess if I can find a way to 'crack it' on my player, then I should be fine.

You may not need to, my player is old and was bought before RCE came into effect. It still works fine with RCE. :)

bad ass

cheers for the replies, but going by the equipment i own (in sig), should i in theory be able to get a better picture and audio quality from superbit, given i have a good set of ears and eyes and can pick out a fair bit?

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
RCE:

1: Most region-free modifications play RCE discs fine. Some Pioneer modifications do require you to change a concealed setting. See here if its necessary.

2: Just because Play says a title is RCE does not mean it is. They actually don't know and don't test. They put this up as a warning for all titles from Columbia Tristar (etc) - because this is the only studio known to use the technique - to protect themselves against returns. CTHE (SPHE), in fact, only use RCE on a tiny minority of their releases.

BadAss

Banned
Razor said:
Bad Ass

Theres a fair few threads on Superbit dvd's have a search in these forums and you should find all the info you need.

Superbit dvd's were good 5 or so years ago but now a normal dvd should have the same quality as Superbit dvds (except Sony dvds).

I doubt you will be impressed with superbit as your a HD fan like myself. :)

Hi Razor I knew this would happen at some time.:(

There seems to be two of us. No offence to the other badass (thread starter) but how are people meant to tell us apart, apart from our avatar which could change at any time?

bad ass

BadAss said:
No offence to the other badass (thread starter) but how are people meant to tell us apart, apart from our avatar which could change at any time?

Sorry but when I join a forum, I don't check every variation of a spelling of a name. I tap "bad ass" in and if it says good to go then thats what it stays at. my avatar will stay the same, as I don't have time, or be bothered to change it every two minutes. I see you've private messaged me regarding this too, which wasn't really needed.
Anyhoo, back to topic, is there a superbit dvd in particular that sticks out in particular for being outstanding? I almost bought the superbit version of Black Hawk Down, but then was put off as I didn't know how different (if any) from the special edition DTS version.

Seth Gecko

retired member
BadAss said:
but how are people meant to tell us apart, apart from our avatar which could change at any time?
Because one of you is called "BadAss" and the other is called "bad ass".

Hardly rocket science.

Razor

Distinguished Member
BadAss said:

There seems to be two of us. No offence to the other badass (thread starter) but how are people meant to tell us apart, apart from our avatar which could change at any time?

:oops:

My mistake, I was wondering where your avatar was. I was also wondering why you were asking about superbit when you have a large HD collection. :confused:

At least now I know. :smashin:

HD Fan = BadAss
Superbit Curious = bad ass

:D

Garrett

BadAss said:

I know most people by there Avatars as much as there names. Iv never altered mine since first using it.
I still remember Brogan using that cartoony rat thing as his avatar.
Stuart Wright changed his name from Spectre but every one knew it was him since his avatar remained the same.

Although I can see people getting mix with 2 BadAss's on the forum even though not rocket science.

BadAss

Banned
Seth Gecko said:
Because one of you is called "BadAss" and the other is called "bad ass".

Hardly rocket science.

So you wouldn't mind if some one was called SethGecko then? You think every forum member will know the difference?

Going by avatars is not much better because their must be ten people as least useing the same Simpsons pic.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
AV Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
REL Acoustics announces new Serie HT subwoofer trio
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Marantz set to launch new Cinema Series of AV receivers