I'm looking for a small 'quality' Compact with 1080P HD Video?

Mysticpuma

Hello everyone.

I'm looking for a quality Compact camera but I would like it to have 1080P video.

Currently I use a Canon 5D MKII and 7D along with a Canon XF105 Video camera.

I'm really not that interested in gadget features but I would like to have the best possible photos as-well as good quality Video.

Now I have been looking at the Canon 220 HS and 230 HS and these almost fit the bill as they have a wide aperture as-well as wide-angle lens (I'd much prefer wider lens than super-zoom!). My only gripe with them is the telephoto lens that pops out and they shoot 24-fps at 1080P. I just don't really need that at-all. Most of the work I would be looking at shooting with it would be in the 24-105mm range so, if possible I would rather just have something in the 24mm-85mm range.

Now I did look at the Nikon 1, but I read that it shoots "1080/60i video". I would much rather have 25-fps and 1080P.

I guess I am searching for a really specific camera, but I hoped by asking here, someone may be able to point me in the direction of a 'Compact' camera, with a small optical range (to keep the lens size down), shoots 25-fps at 1080P (and here's hoping) is good in low-light?

My budget range is upto £350...but I would go higher for the right piece of kit.

Any help greatly appreciated, cheers, MP

Spy

Hello everyone.

I'm looking for a quality Compact camera but I would like it to have 1080P video.

Currently I use a Canon 5D MKII and 7D along with a Canon XF105 Video camera.

I'm really not that interested in gadget features but I would like to have the best possible photos as-well as good quality Video.

Now I have been looking at the Canon 220 HS and 230 HS and these almost fit the bill as they have a wide aperture as-well as wide-angle lens (I'd much prefer wider lens than super-zoom!). My only gripe with them is the telephoto lens that pops out and they shoot 24-fps at 1080P. I just don't really need that at-all. Most of the work I would be looking at shooting with it would be in the 24-105mm range so, if possible I would rather just have something in the 24mm-85mm range.

Now I did look at the Nikon 1, but I read that it shoots "1080/60i video". I would much rather have 25-fps and 1080P.

I guess I am searching for a really specific camera, but I hoped by asking here, someone may be able to point me in the direction of a 'Compact' camera, with a small optical range (to keep the lens size down), shoots 25-fps at 1080P (and here's hoping) is good in low-light?

My budget range is upto £350...but I would go higher for the right piece of kit.

Any help greatly appreciated, cheers, MP
What about the Sony HX20V ?
Not sure if it is compact enough for you but has a really good reputation for video

Spy

The new EF-M thing coming out from canon looks right up your alley!
I've got a feeling the new Canon may be outside the OPs stated budget but you never know. Let's see what the official press release says tomorrow morning :thumbsup:

Spy

RobDickinson said:
Do people really think they will stick to the budget!?! :D The OP did say it wasnt a hard limit ! :D
You're right Rob. Budgets are meant to be broken ;)

Mysticpuma

Thanks to everyone for their input.

I'm sort of happy and sad about the Sony DSC-RX100.

UK
£549.00 Incl Vat

US
$648.00

Currency Converter:

$648.00 = £417.385

It does seem like the ideal camera I am looking for and fortunately I will be travelling to the US in two-weeks so will have to consider whether to buy one over there or stump up the ridiculous import and tax fees!

At £417, the camera is a bargain....at £549....it's a challenge, but it look so good and it's exactly what I want.

The new Canon interchangeable compact is above my budget (considerably!) and to be honest, if I was going to use one of the new compact interchangeable lens cameras....I'd just take my two SLR's ;)

Thanks for the advice...now off to track down a good UK price for the Sony

Cheers, MP

PS. Just saw Amazon say it is to be released on Aug 1st and they will sell it at £516.00, pretty impressive!

r0bac

Standard Member
If you import it over, you'd be paying more than the £549 RRP, however.....
Amazon UK currently have it going for £516, they'll have it in stock by the 1st of August. :D
- - EDIT - - Ah, I see from you last post you have found it already! Great price I say! :p

You wont regret it, I've owned it for about two weeks now (bought it from Sony online as they had it before other shops) and I've loved every moment.

The video quality is better than my camcorder, the only thing my camcorder has on this camera is the zoom. :laugh:

topgazza

Distinguished Member

topgazza

Distinguished Member
Its very tempting I must say

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom