I'm Looking for a receiver with three hdmi inputs

H

hogl

Okay, I have a relatively new Denon 170-something (the model before they got hdmi, I think) from a few years ago. This has served me well enough, and although I've heard better, it just about suits my needs.

Until yesterday, that is. I decided to buy an xbox 360, thinking I could just put it through component input and be done with it. The thing is, I've sort of run out of component inputs, with my PS2 and DVD player hooked up. No matter, I'll just yank that PS2, that doesn't get much playtime now anyways. The thing is, I'm also out of optical sound inputs, because of my PS3, media center and DVD player (yes, I'm a tech geek). Going on compromise and deciding to just switch the cables from PS3 to xbox, I found out there is no way to use HDMI AND optical out on the xbox (with standard cables anyway) at the same time.

So, I'm more or less starting to look around for a new receiver, thinking I can at least still get a little money from my old setup. The big condition is, that I need 3 HDMI cables, and sound should be worth the money. What I *REALLY* wanted, was a good integrated DVD receiver, like the new NAD VISO FIVE, but I found out it doesn't have ANY HDMI inputs at all - *sigh*.

So I started looking at regular receivers, but they are still rare with HDMI's. The only one I could find that doesn't cost half a million is the Cambridge 640R, which is still rather expensive. I haven't heard a Cambridge I didn't like, though.

I would prefer it if I could get a "decent" receiver, maybe just a notch better than my denon for about 300-500£ (or the equivalent in danish kr, since well.. I live in Denmark). But I would be willing to pay a bit more for a good integrated DVD receiver.

Hope some of you have some recommendations, thanks :)

Frederik

EDIT:
Oh, if you know a good buy with just 2 hdmi inputs, I guess I could settle for vga for my Media Center, but HDMI would be neater.

After a bit of searching, I found out the Sony STR-DA1200ES is more or less what I need spec wise. It seems to get rave reviews too. Any experiences with this?

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
I would have thought that the Onkyo TX-SR606 with 4 HDMI inputs would do exactly what you want and for only £400.

H

hogl

I would have thought that the Onkyo TX-SR606 with 4 HDMI inputs would do exactly what you want and for only £400.
Thanks, that does look interesting. 4 HDMI inputs would let me put in a dvd player through HDMI as well, which would be good. However, I can only find one retailer here who sells it, and they have the nerve to charge 600£!
In comparison the Sony (which should be in the same-ish price range) is about 370£ here.

Malky1903

Novice Member
Thanks, that does look interesting. 4 HDMI inputs would let me put in a dvd player through HDMI as well, which would be good. However, I can only find one retailer here who sells it, and they have the nerve to charge 600£!
In comparison the Sony (which should be in the same-ish price range) is about 370£ here.
Superfi, Sevenoaks or Avland should have it for £399 if they have stock.

H

hogl

Superfi, Sevenoaks or Avland should have it for £399 if they have stock.
Yes, that's good, but as I stated in the original post (I know it's a bit hidden up there), I live in Denmark. Thanks anyway, though :)

BikeNutt

Novice Member
After a bit of searching, I found out the Sony STR-DA1200ES is more or less what I need spec wise. It seems to get rave reviews too. Any experiences with this?
Give the DA1200 a miss. It's not an HDMI repeater, it only switches HDMI so you only get sound pass-through to the TV.

H

hogl

Give the DA1200 a miss. It's not an HDMI repeater, it only switches HDMI so you only get sound pass-through to the TV.
Okay, I'm not sure I get this right, I'm not very up to date on digital av-standards and such.

Does this mean that I would not be able to watch ANY HDMI video through the receiver, or is it only a concern with BluRay (and in this case on a PS3)? If so, does all BluRay media use the HDCP specification?

Thanks in advance, I was just setting my mind on spending the money on it.

EDIT:
I also have som doubts concerning the difference between a HDMI Repeater and a HDMI Receiver
It sounds like the Repeater decodes the signal, and then reencodes the signal itself, is this correct?
And does the Receiver just pass the signal through, sort of like an extension cord with a switch on it? If so, how would this prevent the video from showing up on my tv? (edit again: okay, it seems the sony isn't a HDMI receiver as such, I'm just getting my terms mixed up, but the question still stands)

chic

Distinguished Member
the sony 1200 is a decent amp, but it wont send any audio over hdmi, so for each source you connect by hdmi you will need to connect another cable for audio. In the summer sony have the 820 coming out which has 4 hdmi in and can accept audio over hdmi so you can listen to hd audio from the ps3, it also has onboard dtsma and dolby true hd decoding and should only cost around £300.

H

hogl

the sony 1200 is a decent amp, but it wont send any audio over hdmi, so for each source you connect by hdmi you will need to connect another cable for audio. In the summer sony have the 820 coming out which has 4 hdmi in and can accept audio over hdmi so you can listen to hd audio from the ps3, it also has onboard dtsma and dolby true hd decoding and should only cost around £300.
Okay, no audio from HDMI seems a bit pointless and cumbersome.. I'm trying to get rid of some cables :)

Sigh - This means I am still on the look out. Any other recommendations much appreciated :)

Oh, and I see from your signature that you have a DG-910. How do you like that? As far as I can tell it retails around 300£ in these parts (if anyone has them). edit: Oh well, it looks like it just switches too, thought I read somewhere that it repeated

H

hogl

Okay, so I decided to go with the Onkyo SR606 anyway :)
Cost me a good 500£, but at least it should be a noticable step up from my old Denon.
The 4 HDMI inputs will serve me well too, so I shouldn't have to worry about running out.

I'm hoping it will arrive before the weekend, feeling like a child at christmas :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom