Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

I'm looking for a GPS unit for my Axim X5

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by jackuzi, May 18, 2004.

1. jackuzi

jackuzi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to get GPS on my Axim. Already have TomTom Nav and wondered which is best - Compact Flash units or the serial mouse type. I would probably want to use it out of the car as well so does that rule out the mouse type?

Can anyone point me in the direction of a bargain (currently watching ebay as much as I can).

Thanks,

Glen

2. WILD9

WILD9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Something like this would be ideal, its actually a globalsat card and they are well rated. There isnt alot of difference between manufacturers when buying gps its all about the chipset, a good choice and the most widely available one is the sirf star IIlp chipset which happens to be the one used here. Ive ordered one from this guy and it arrived some time later after winging its way from honkong i didnt get lumbered with any import duty as it was labeled as a gift, it works flawlesly on my Axim x5 using tomtom navigator 2.
    The mouse units tend to cause problems as they are serial and when you connect it the axim detects a serial connection and tries to activesync with it as if its a computer so youl cripple your axim temporarily if you plug it in without tomtom running. This isnt an issue with the compact flash units.
    If you get the cf unit and find the tracking slow change the gps setup in tomtom to nema 9600, the gps unit is compatible with that standard too and it seems to track much faster in tomtom, hope this helps.

3. jackuzi

jackuzi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply :beer: , it was very helpful mate. I went to that link and it had ended...had a power cut for the last 3 hours!!! Damn :oops: .

I'm trying on another of the same card, fingers crossed...will be my 1st ebay buy....oh to be a virgin again LOL...distant memories :blush:

Wish me luck!!

Glen

4. Simon Donn

Simon Donn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want a really good receiver then I would recommend the bluetooth 'mouse' type. I bought the Globalsat BT338 bluetooth one from www.undercutter.com. They don't have a great selection of receivers but the one I got is really cool and sensitive.

5. harmlos

harmlos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i also hvae the earlier globalsat bt308 and found this to be superb, signal quality is excellent, mine also came with external antenna which is important if your car windscreen is heated as this can reduce the signal.

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I have the Socket Bluetooth receiver sold by Expansys which (apparently) is a re-badged Emtac CRUXII which Expansys do even cheaper !

Although I have a wired-in receiver in my Parrot CX3300 system, I still keep the Socket receiver, because it is very handy if I want to use my GPS in another vehicle or on foot.