im looking for a dvd/hdd recoder with digital tuner

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Martin68, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Martin68

Martin68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Ive looked at several dvd recorders with a hdd but none of them seem to have a digital tuner for free view, i can not see the point of owning a dvd/hdd recorder with just an analog tuner, because there are only 5 (if your lucky)channels available to record, and if it was to double up as a pvr then a digital tuner is essential, whats the point of setting the timer to record a free view channel via the scart and forgetting to leave the stand alone free view box on or on the right channel, thats easyly done particuarlly if the timed program is in a few days from the time you set it

Is there any model out there that has a digital free view tuner, i know Sony do a dvd recorder but it has no Hdd.

Ive tried stand alone PVR's but there only seems to be 3 on the market and all chap brands, the Humax8000 was the best looking but gave me problems!

I much rather a dvd recorder with HDD and free view all in one!

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    So would lots of us! But no, none yet. It was hoped that the next Toshiba XS34 would, but it seems not.
    Sony models later in the year it seems...

Mark

3. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,236
    If you can be patient and hold off buying for a few months some of the bigger manufacturers (Toshiba, Panasonic etc) should be bringing models out with built-in digital tuners it is rumoured.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,217
  5. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,236
  6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,560
    As HornyDragon states Sony have the GXD500 out - a decent DVB standalone DVD recorder (no HDD). They will have a HDD/DVDR combi out with a DVB tuner by the end of the year - although note it may have the same limitations as the GXD500 (so may other brands for all we know). Odds are Panasonic and possibly Pioneer will launch DVB equipped DVD recorders this year as well. Toshiba were reported as working on a model with DVB/HDMI/250GB HDD but this seems not to have appeared :(

7. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    As it now looks as if terrestrial analogue TV will be phased out from 2008, perhaps the manufacturers will pull their fingers out.

The STB route isn't ideal and I went for DVD/HDD last year really because a VCR urgently needed replacing. Otherwise I'd still be waiting.

It would be encouraging if the market for analogue-only DVD/HDDs now started to collapse - that goes for TVs too. Perhaps this forum should start discouraging the purchase of analogue-only machines...

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    problkem is most forum members use Sky and cable and dont need want a tuner of any sort (plasma LCD panels and Projectors have no tuners) IT's up to the big sheds who suply most oof the equipment UK wide to start pushing IDTV's A trade in scheme against IDTV's is the best option £100 of 28" and under and £250 off 32" and larger...What this forum should do is PUSH HD capable technology

9. rob87

rob87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Philips 720 has HDD/DVD and ability to control external STBs. Im considering this.
    Together with my second STB so can watch dig and record dig same time.

10. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Toshiba XS32 can also control a STB (it controls my Sony Freeview box via an IR “dongle”.) But to avoid also setting a timer on the STB I would have to leave the STB on all the time. It would be much nicer if it had a digital tuner, but I got to the point where I couldn’t wait.

Mark

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    JVC units can also do this and come with the dongle (JVC are superb IMO butlack RGB inputs which kills them for most STB's...............)

12. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,560
    In addition to the Toshiba and JVC units the Pioneer DVDR920 can also do this. And if you use Q-Link then many set-top boxes will control most major DVD recorders.

Personally I would advise against getting a Philips DVD recorder. Do a search...

13. rogerh

rogerh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Forum members reading this thread might to take a look at the thread immediatly above in which I recommended trying, like me, to get some Official Ofcom interest in this.
    It's not good enough for manufacturers to sit back and sell Analogue Tuners when the future is digital.
    There seems to be a cost debate over Digital v Analogue Tuners, but whatever the case the change is happening and the consumer should be sold the Tuners that will work.
    I am hoping the new Sony machines will include Digital Tuners. but as Razack says, for some reason (possibly cost?) so far Sony has only fitted the most basic machine.
    What I'm sure the market cries out for - including those who are content to forget that their DVD Recorders even have a Tuner and use external feeds instead - is a DVD Recorder with Hard Disc/Removable Disc/Digital Tuner.
    I have been harping away at this on various threads and I would suggest that an e-mail to Ofcom from any like minded Forum Member would at least keep the issue in the minds of Ofcom.
    It may also be a good idea to try the direct approach to The Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) who are the Government Department responsible for organising the Digital Switch-over.
    I know many will feel it makes no difference and that the Industry should be left to be market driven, but this change over is being brought about by the Governmant and they want the money from the Analogue Spectrum sale as soon as they can get it!!!
    Fitting Digital Tuners in receivers is the only way forward. :thumbsup:

14. ElchenUK

ElchenUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JVC are launching a set of new recorders which will have RGB inputs and may have digital tuners, altho i'm not 100% they will definitely come equipped with an EPG guide which makes me think that they will have digital tuners.They are also HDMI.

15. rob87

rob87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What video announce Toshiba to bring out HDD/DVD/Digital tuner, see March issue.

16. rogerh

rogerh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Any more details on the JVC models? Hard Disc, date for release etc.?
    Looks like this Forum is better informed tha the mags. re the Toshiba!!!

17. KDH

KDH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  18. JethroUK

JethroUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Philips 720 also has free EPG (nothing else does - Under a Grand)

EPG = 1-click programming
    EPG controls ext tuner (timings/channel changing)
    EPG "Titles" recordings automatically (no laborious titling of every single thing you ever record - this alone would save you DAYS of time you could be doing something better)
    EPG divides recording up into nice program size chunks (leaves little or no editing)
    + no subscription charges

19. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,560
    ...and if you PM JethroUK I'm sure he'll sell you the extended warranty you'll need as well :rotfl: In all seriousness I would urge people to question whether taking advice from someone who only ever recommends one model (Philips HDD/DVDRs) to be sufficiently objective to enable them to help you make a purchase. Remember you can do a forum search by user-name to find posts by any user to enable you to judge how "diverse" there DVD recorder recommendations are :lesson:

Except:
    - Sony GXD500
    - Sky+
    - Any compatible DVD recorder connected with Q-Link/autoview
    - Media Centre PCs
    - TivO
    - Any Freeview DVB HDD recorder

Wording, Jethro, is so important. Maybe you meant to say no other DVD recorder under £1000 has an EPG - in which case you'd still be wrong as the GXD500 does :D

20. JethroUK

JethroUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Please Do - Search Digital Spy too - If you can find more than one 720 returned faulty let me know

Also do a Search on highly recommended Tosh XS34 - you should find only about 3 machines been replaced this month - You're unlikely to find anyone who burned a disc, get it to play in any other machine - and only slightly more likely to find someone who burned a disc that plays back in the Tosh that burned it

In fact they have their own post regarding Discs that 'do' work on it

Course if you dont need to archive - or share - it's prolly the perfect machine

21. JethroUK

JethroUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I've never recommended - only ever given supporting information or my personal experience (so reader can make informed choice)

22. JethroUK

JethroUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Apologies for not reading the thread - I assumed we were talking about Machines that:

Are available
    incl HDD
    incl I/R Controller
    compatable with Freeview (which the O/P has)
    incl DVD Recorder

again apologies for not reading the thread properly

23. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,560
    Users would be far better off searching the German forums where the 720/725 have been available several months longer - you'll find lots of errors/problems there - it is almost certain they will appear here as well. Remember the 720/725 are based on the same Philips models that have had so many problems: the DVDR70, DVDR75, DVDR80 etc etc. Every generation of Philips models has been plagued by problems and faults. Even doing a search of this forum reveals several faulty 720s - and that is on a forum where Philips models are not popular (largely due to their low-end status).

Actually you'll find it is the RDXS32 Jethro - helps if you know the model numbers ;) And you'll also appreciate that this is probably one of the most popular HDD/DVDRs going - but I fully agree it's far from perfect: it's quite fussy with media and isn't the easiest machine to use. But the fact that it is so popular, depsite it's problems, shows how far removed from the simplistic, weak Philips recorders...

24. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, but Jethro you appear to be able to provide no personal experience of one model relative to another. Quite a few people on this board have owned or used models from many different manufacturers. Consequently, your 'experience' is relatively limited. I value certain other members' opinions more. IMO the reason you love your Philips is:

a) Having any DVD recorder (including one with relatively poor features) naturally seems better than having no DVD recorder at all.
    b) It hasn’t broken down – yet.

25. JethroUK

JethroUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    It's a fair cop - I'll shut up :)

26. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please do that on Digital Spy too

27. Tellyfiend

Tellyfiend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Now if Philips could lend their epg and i/r controller stuff to Panasonic or Pioneer, which by common consent on this and digital spy forums are the best DVD recorders we'd have some machine!!

Ooops, maybe they have, with the new pio 920, but i don't have a spare £1,300 to try one out.

28. ElchenUK

ElchenUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JVC models will be out in Mid 2005 with two versions of the hard disc combo, one with 160gb and one with 250gig. There will also be two units with hard disk and one with DVD recoder and Mini DV slot and one with DVD recoder and VHS slot. The flagship model will be one with HDMI and maybe digital tuner, but don't quote me.

29. Martin68

Martin68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19

If it was all to do with the cost of digital tuners, the reason why manufaturers are so slow to build them into there video equipment, then why can we buy STB's for as little as 40 pounds?
    if they can afford to sell stb's at give away prices, why cant they afford to build them into equipment as standard, even if it did cost more, if you really wanted the equipment you'd save up for it, i mean is it really nessesary to sell dvd players for 20 pounds, if i really wanted one ide pay 40, but i wouldn't want two for the price of one, if you get what i mean, its becoming like the baked bean war of the supermarkets a few years ago when you could buy a can of beans for 1p.
    the reason for me writing this is because my livelihood is at stake, im a tv/video repair man, self employed and am slowly going out of business because of all this cheap give away junk out there!

30. KDH

KDH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NEW Tatung DVB-T/PVR/DVD Recorder

"The Tatung PVR is a sleek, stylish set-top box for viewing and recording digital television. The unit will allow owners to pause and rewind live TV and to record onto a built-in hard disk, with a choice of DVB-T (Freeview) and DVB-S (satellite) receivers. The Tatung PVR will be the first PVR on the market to include an integrated DVD recorder, allowing archive of recorded programmes from hard disk onto DVD."

http://www.tatungserver.de/en/news_press_events/2005/02/1026.php