Im looking at these 3 recorders- Sony 860,Panny 85,Pio 545

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Duster, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Duster

Duster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Im looking to buy a new DVD recorder with a HD, Im looking at the Sony RDR HXD 860S,the Pannasonic ex75/85EB-S, or the Pioneer DVR-545HX-S.
    Which do you think is the best machine, and why?

Thanks for any help:smashin:

2. leocohen

leocohen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I asked myself the same question earlier and decided to go for the Pioneer(ordered, but not delivered yet though).

For me the Panasonic was a no-go because it had no divx support, quite a few users are complaining about a faulty freeview decoder and the fact that when the unit is recording you can't use the guide (and schedule new recordings).

I discarded the Sony because it lacks an analogue tuner - sometimes when the weather is bad, my freeview reception goes away.

Leo

3. nijran1973

nijran1973
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep

I think the Pioneer 545 , it has usb input, HDMI Freeviewand Divx support. Where as the Sony 860 is and pany are in a lower league the only DVD that is in the Pioneers league is the Sony HDX1065 (NEW) but at $100+ quid more expensive.

4. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Yeah, but according to a recent What Hi-Fi mag. review, the Pioneer 545 came out pretty poorly, especially in picture quality and so forth - the Sonys and Pannies were much better received. Now, I know that such reviews can't always be relied upon, but I'd want to check-out a 545 in a shop for a good period of time before I parted with any money.

Clem

5. concrete monkey

concrete monkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i was getting a sony untill bleeding dixons buggered my order up!

i to am stumped between the sony and the pio 545!

i want it for recording from the epg guide! ....does the pioneer have issues recording from the epg

secondly the sony doesnt play divx to well! but ive got zoom on my tele so that should be ok!

so whats it to be the sony or the pioneer!

6. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    Hi

The reviews are very subjective, one review for the 540HX remarked the surround sound wasn't as good as it should be, yet the 540HX doesn't have surround sound playback, so the reviewer had used a separate amplifier and fed the digital signal from the recorder into it. Digital is digital so the Pioneer can not influence the sound quality over the digital connection. The fact they test and remark about the surround sound quality when it is only influenced by the amplifier they partner it with that isn't being reviewed is pretty bizzare and shows a lack of understanding by the reviewer.

When I read things like that I realise you can't pay much attention to reviews where they talk subjectively.

There is a review for the 540HX here at Home Cinema Review and they do actually do some objective measurements which are mostly Good or Excellent and seem to rate picture quality all okay. The 545HX internally is identical to the 540HX and will perform exactly the same, plus it has the extra connections.

Regards

Phil

7. MarkP80

MarkP80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Hi,

One of the things that attracted me to the Pioneer was the Guideplus system. I have cable tv, and Guideplus works a treat - I select the programme to record on the Pio's Guideplus epg, and it changes to the correct channel on the cable box, which I find very convenient. This may or may not be important to you.

Cheers,
    MarkP

8. wildone

wildone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi - I bought the 545 in November and am very pleased with it so far. It was purchased more-or-less to go with the Pioneer plasma, plus I was fairly confident of being a decent performer - which it is. DVD replay is fine through the HDMI output, and recording via HDD and archiving to DVD is simplicity itself. The only (small) gripe I have with it so far is the need to pad recordings made via the EPG as the timer has a tendency to start early and cut out before the end of recording. I have reset the clock twice already so that may need further investigation. Apart from that - no probs.