Im in over my head, need some sound advice

dannydeals

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am new to the Home Theater / Audio world. I really don't know much about it and would certainly like to hear some opinions on what I have done and plan to do etc.. So that I can make some changes an try to get this somewhat right before its installed and too late.

I will be using this for Tv/Movies, but also for music.

I don't have a huge budget for this, just looking to try to right size everything and hopefully create a cool experience for the family. Im sure anything will be better than the Flat screen TV speakers and a soundbar, which is all I currently have.

That said, I built a second level on my home and now have a 32x22 living room. In a hurry while construction was going on my brother and I ran some 12g speaker wire to 6 positions in the ceiling ( 4 are near the seating area for Atmos and the other two are farther back behind the couches). We also ran 4 in wall positions ( 2 just behind the seating area pointing at each other and 2 on the back wall across the room behind the couches). We also ran a L,R & C position up by the TV and Cabinets etc..

So all in all I was planning on 14 speakers including the SUB. With advice from my brother (good or bad) I bought the Yamaha 3070 receiver, 6 - 8inch 2way Yamaha speakers for the ceiling ( insulated speaker boxes in the ceiling too for each speaker) and 4 - 8inch 3way speakers for the walls. I have not purchased the L,R & C speakers yet. I have not installed any of it as of yet.

I am guessing that I need and extra amp to power all of this? If so, how many channel amp should I buy to assist the receiver? Should I change the sizes of the speakers?

Thanks,
Dan

Why not start with a 5.4.2 setup and see how immersive it sounds? You can always add more later, as you have the cables in place. A 9.4.1 setup is a much more difficult proposition to get right and considerably more expensive.

That's a good point. A may just do that. I pretty much just went at it with the advice from my brother and didn't really have an idea of how complicated this can all be. However, willing to learn as I go, I certainly wouldn't mind attempting the more difficult setup if I knew what I needed to accomplish it.

Don’t be too fixated with numbers, more is not necessarily better. A well set-up, highly specced 5.4.2 will leave a mediocre 9.4.1. In the dust. I think that it is important to understand what it is you are trying to achieve and how you are trying to achieve it. Out of curiosity what sources are you looking to use and what are you going to display it on?

I can understand that. The TV will be a LG C8 OLED 65in, Cable TV, Netflix, Amazon Movies, BlueRay DVD's.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom