1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm in a bit of a pickle now......... advice appreciated

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Mr Footlong, Jul 22, 2001.

1. Mr Footlong

Mr Footlong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks,

I just got my Sony KP51DS1 telly yesterday after much deliberation and despite worse connectivity than the tosh's. I now am placed in a slight predicament...... I have the following kit to plug in and don't really want to plug in and unplug things all of the time:

Sony 735 DVD
    Panasonic Sky Digibox
    Sony VCR and for the sheer sake of it...
    Sony 850 Laserdisc.

Here's where the problems begin. This set has 3 Scarts, 1 being RGB capable. 2 and 3 are not. The digibox looks cracking in RGB and no where near as good in normal mode. Scart 2 shares with the S-Video input, which unfortunately is placed on the front of this telly. On my last Wega, I used S-Video for the DVD and was quite happy with the quality, but many, many people on here praise RGB to kingdom come ;).
    I found the S-Video to have a great picture as well on this telly, but can't get the nagging feeling 'but what if I RGB'd it' out of my head. The S-video cable currently is a Profigold one. Would Getting a 124 or 156 Ixos, QED etc put my mind at ease?
    What I am really after is advice on how you guys would wire this lot in yourselves...
    I am just being your average AV nut and wanting the best of everything..... :rolleyes:

Any advice/ideas gratefully recieved

Cheers,

Nick :)

2. T_Strife

T_Strife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could try: Sky TV --> 735 av2 (rgb)
    735 av1 --> KP51 av1 (rgb)
    Sky VCR --> VCR av? (comp)
    VCR av? --> KP51 av2 (comp)
    850 LD --> KP51 av3 (s-vid)

I gather the 735 supports rgb pass thru so this should give you rgb from both sky & dvd. Also your Sony vcr & Panny digibox should also provide an rgb pass thru option. Using the above i doubt you'd notice any loss of quality on SKY by passing it thru the DVD player using decent quality scarts. i have to pass my DVD's RGB output thru a Pace 735 onDigi box (the only ondigi box that can do it!) and as much as it niggles me i honestly cant tell any difference compared to a direct connection. I'm not sure which VCR av sockets you should use if you want to keep Sony TV to Sony VCR smartlink functuality cos i dont own any of the above kit. Good luck :D

3. Mr Footlong

Mr Footlong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot for the advice/info. Never thought to use the pass through via the DVD for purist reasons, but definetly worth a go! Do you reckon the picture will be better through RGB from the DVD? Can't try it at the mo, but does the pass-through work even when the DVD is off?

Thanks,

Nick :) :)

4. T_Strife

T_Strife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RGB does give a noticeable improvement over s-vid on my Sony 36 but on my previous telly s-vid gave best results, you can but try!
    The DVD player should pass-thru the SKY-RGB connection when in standby and then override it when switched on - most work like this. My digibox only provides pass-thru when switched on but i know it is unusual in this respect, i've no need to switch it off anyway.
    Cheers :D

5. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    This is easy, DVD via RGB is priority, why?

Well the only channels on Sky not on TV are over compressed pay TV. Since your TVs own tuner is better than the Sky box for BBC 1,2,Choice, N24 etc and also ITV, it doesn't really matter is Sky was on composite.

However as above most Sony DVD players pass RGB

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need similar help ! My current system works fine but now I've got a sky box and am wondering whats the best way of connecting ?
    How should I connect up the sky box?

I Currently use the rgb scart from dvd to telly .
    can I link the sky box to the dvd by rgb scart?
    yours confused !

1.Sony KP51DS1
    This set has 3 Scarts, 1 being RGB capable. 2 and 3 are not
    (currently rgb to dvd/other to vdo)

Pioneer 717 Player
    (rgb to telly)
    1 x COAXIAL digital out
    1 x Scart RGB out
    1 x Scart(not sure about this one)OUT/LOOP ?
    1 x S-Video out

jvc Video
    1 x Scart out
    Audio L+R out (phono)

Pace BSKYB 2200 Digi Box
    1 x Scart RGB out, Composite video out
    1 x Scart Composite video in/out, RGB in
    Audio L&R out (phono)

pioneer E07 aMP
    2 x Tos-link in Dvd,
    2 x Digital Coax in
    1 x Tos-link out Md/Dat
    1 x 5.1 ch Input
    5 x S-Video in
    3 x S-Video out

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Tony,

Yes - connect the Digibox by scart to the DVD player which in turn will be connected by scart to the RGB input of the TV

8. Adele

Adele

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would there be any problems to connect a Digibox in this way (by scart to a DVD player which is connected by scart to the RGB input of the TV) if that DVD player is a PS2?

(Sorry if that's a dumb question - new to all this and trying to learn!)

Adele.

9. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Tony & Ian J

Sorry to tell you this bit the Pioneer 717 does not have RGB Pass through (well my model doesn't for sure). It only has composite pass thru, which is definatley what you DON'T WAN'T to use from your STB.

I had to use a SCART switch box for my three RGB devices.

Advice to all RP TV Owners

Unlike some CRT TVs there is a MASSIVE difference between the quality of S-Video and RGB on an RP TV.
    ALWAYS USE RGB COMPONENT/SCART WHERE POSSIBLE. Enen if it measn using a manual SCART switch box.

One thing that I have noticed with my new Tosh 40WH08B RP TV is that it can really show up the flaws in the quality of certain signal types. You really get to see all those nastie digital artefacts from Digi TV and noise from S-Video.

Order of Pic Quality...

1. DVD via Component RGB
    2. DVD via SCART RGB
    3. Analog terrestrial (TV)
    4. Digital TV via RGB
    5. Digital TV via S-Video
    6. SVHS recording of Analog TV via S-Video
    7. SVHS recording of Digital TV via RGB to S-Video Converter Box.
    8. Digital TV via Composite
    9. SVHS recording of Digital TV via Composite SCART from STB.
    10. VHS recording of Analog TV
    11. VHS recording of Digital TV

Note: the pic quality of my digital TV (NTL cable) varies from chanel to chanel and is sometimes (not often) better than my analog aerial signal.

10. Gerry

Gerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Must say I find it very difficult to notice any definite inprovement between s-vid and rgb when playing dvd's. I use good quality cables, qed "s-vis -> scart(directional)" for s-video and ixos "126av" for rgb. The difference between composite and s-vid/rgb is however noticeable. I would'ent really sweat it, if you are happy with your s-vid picture this is what really matters.

11. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It just wouldn't be right for a connections thread not to have my usual post added to it. It's generic so adapt and apply accordingly.

Various ways to connect depending on what you think is acceptable.

option 1 - RGB for both DVD and digibox but need to record via the RF.
    Audio carried from TV to Amp and DVD to amp (TV passes audio from vcr and
    digibox)

DVD > Digibox VCR scart ( use scart lead, set DVD to output RGB)
    Digibox > TV (use scart lead into RGB scart socket)
    Video > TV (scart lead into composite scart socket - Don't use an expensive cable, it would be wasted)
    Aerial > digibox > vcr > TV

DVD > Amp (using digital co-ax or optical -identical quality, depends on your available connections)
    TV > Amp (using 2x phono connection)

-----------------------------------------

Option 2 - RGB for digibox and s-video for DVD. Allows recording via the scart. Audio the same as above

DVD > TV (scart into s-video scart)
    Digibox > TV (scart into RGB scart)
    Digibox > VCR (composite scart - Don't use expensive cable for this one)
    Aerial > digibox > vcr > TV

DVD > Amp (using digital co-ax or optical -identical quality, depends on your available connections)
    ------------------------------------------

Option 3 - TV doesn't pass audio or doesn't pass it with decent quality. Will require manual switching between sources. Use video connections as option 1 or 2.

DVD > Amp (using digital co-ax or optical -identical quality, depends on
    your available connections)
    VCR > Amp (using 2x phono connection)
    Digibox > Amp (using 2x phono connection)

12. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Gerry

Notsure what size TV you have, but believe me there is a VERY noticable difference between RGB and S-Video when you start look at images on RP TVs of 40" or more.

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As my pioneer dvd doesn't have pass through RGB .
    Looks like I'll have to buy a switching box ! ANY recommendations out there ! I know you can get manual switching , but I'D prefer auto as I m a bit of a couch potatoe . But I dont want to lose quality of picture ?