1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm gonna be a Dad. Can I afford not to have the P90 amp?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by nolispe, Mar 14, 2005.

1. nolispe

nolispe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the title says it all really (sort of). I'm going to be a dad soon for the first time. Every waking hour will soon be absorbed by work or by a new bouncing baby. BUT, I've got the option of buying a P90 power amp to compliment my existing system.

I've currently got an Arcam AVR100 with the DV88 VD player that is bi-wired to KEF floor stands and sounds pretty good. However, I've always thought it could sound that little bit better (probably just money burning whole in my pocket).

Would it be worth my while in purchasing the P90 or just a waste of money? Should I feel guilty of even thinking of buying this?

I've also pondered with the idea of having a separate pair of speakers wired into another room which I thought the P90 could handle quite well.

Please help...

Cheers

2. ChrisM

ChrisM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've just added a P90 to my A80 driving Monitor Audio GR10s, I have to say the difference is outstanding. Deeper, tighter bass and a soundstage you can almost step into. Go for it.

3. mrkeeling

mrkeeling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can – go for it.
    I have AVR 200 with P85/3 driving front stage and the improvement is NOT subtle. :thumbsup:

After all, you have to play some music for the baby. I recommend Bach’s concertos – it will increase his/hers IQ ;)

:beer:

4. nolispe

nolispe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers ChrisM and mrKeeling... I didn't expect such a prompt and educated response. I think you've pretty much clinched it for me. Can I ask how you've wired them up as I'm still a little sketchy about the finer details...

Thanks again...

5. mrkeeling

mrkeeling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can not be simpler:

Pre-outs from the AVR for the appropriate channels (FL/C/FR in my case) to adequate line IN on the amp.
    Speakers (for the same channels) to speaker binding posts on the amp.

I did try bi-amping my FL/FR, but the sound quality diminishes. (Obviously P85 has better amp stage than AVR)

Or should I just put this in: :rtfm: ;)

6. nolispe

nolispe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks fr the exra info. Does sound pretty easy I'll have to admit. You lost me on the RTFM graphic. What's all that about? Have I broken some unwritten codeof forum conduct?

7. barnythebear

barnythebear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Power amps worth every penney. At least you can turn it down or switch it off when it gets too much

8. Jim_R

Jim_R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Congratulations nolispe! Having a child will change your day-to-day life like nothing else that you have experienced up to this point in your life...mostly, in a very good way. Bottom line...get your new toys now. Hey, you deserve it.

9. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I've powering my front speakers from a P90 and an AVR300 and IMHO, it sounds fantastic, definately worth the upgrade.

RTFM - Read the f*****g manual although I do believe mrkeeling was joking :)

HTH

John

10. nolispe

nolispe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Johndon for both the feedback and the RTFM clarification... I must admit to not always referring to the manual until the last resort as I think I know what I'm doing. How true that is, is only evidenced by the trail of destruction I usually leave behind me.

Jim_R : If I had a pound every time someone had told me that (usually followed by a smirk) then I'd easily be able to afford the P90 with some considerable change left over.... I gather you are talking fom experience!

11. nolispe

nolispe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand that the P90 would undoubtedly provide me with a better sound. However, would the same sort of benefits be felt with say the P85 or even the P75 power amps? I'm not asking anyone to split hairs and I appreciate that the P90 is a superior amp but would I be crying myself to sleep if I went with the P75?

Does anyone also know of decent place that I could get these on the second handmarket. I'm currently only looking t ebay as that's my comfort zone.

Cheers

12. mrkeeling

mrkeeling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    P90 and P85 are (almost) exactly the same.
    P75 is a lesser amp. Personally, I wouldn’t go for it.
    Depending on which side of the pond you are, Audiogon is a pretty god place for used equipment.

13. nolispe

nolispe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mrkeeling - Cheers for the Audiogon link...However, I'm the opposite side of the pond... :uk:

Any other decent 2nd hand links anyone know about? (the stuff they sell is 2nd hand of course not the link itself - but I guess you knew that anyway)... :laugh:

Cheers

14. Gixxerblade

Gixxerblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Moorgate acoustics in Sheffield currently have an ex-dem p90 in black for sale at £440. Have you considered an a85 or a90 integrated? I run the left and right pre-outs from my avr100 in to my a85 tape/proc which has a fixed volume mode which is very handy when in AV duty. Some say the pre-amp is better in the a85 than the avr100 for stereo duty. I sold my p85 because I didn't think it made much difference with my KEF concerto 1s, as usual try and demo one to see if it is worth it to you.
    I played around just running a cheap dvd into an avr100 using a cheap co-ax cable using the avr100 dac and was impressed enough to put my a85 and cd72 up for sale. However, I recently switched back and although there isn't much in it, for older discs especially the a85 cd72 combo with QED silver spiral interconnect wins in stereo although I think the avr100 dac is more "revealing" than the CD72 dac but not as "controlled" (I believe they're essentially the same make) , however my girlfriend and a couple of others could not tell the difference and I wouldn't want to bet my life in a "blind" test either.
    Sorry if I've confused you, this stereo/av melarkey is complex stuff ... I need a beer.

15. nolispe

nolispe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Gixxerblade... you lost me just after Moorgate! Only joking... Sounds like you have experimented quite a bit. I might take a look into the a85/90 route and see what's available. I'll post back my findings when I finally get my life sorted out (could be a while then...)

Cheers again...

16. ChrisM

ChrisM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If you're interested I have a black P75 for sale (£150). Mint condition, boxed with full paperwork. It's not a P90 but in the setup you describe should do a very good job.