*** I'm going insane *** (VHS to DVD recording)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by FIZZPIT, Jan 15, 2008.

1. FIZZPIT

FIZZPIT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Please please please can someone help me. I've been looking at various pieces of kit and I'm now totally confused as to what I need!

I'm wanting to convert my collection of VHS tapes to DVD.

I already have a Humax 9200 and seperate VCR.

Question's:

Should I get a VCR/DVD recorder combi or just a DVD recorder?
    Does it need to have freeview or HDD? (bearing in mind I have the Humax)

If I got one with a HDD does this get around the issue of copying tapes with macrovision. Apologies if this oversteps the forum rules regarding this.

And also am I right in thinking that if I recorded something to the HDD of the Humax, I could at a later date then transfer it to DVD? If so how does this work?

Thank you immensely

2. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    you can use any dvd recorder and link it to your vcr to copy tapes , but you may need something suitable to link it with , like a special scart lead etc ? ( I wont elaborate due to forum rules ) hdd has no bearing on the copy protection

I dont think the humax lets you record from an external source , my 8000t doesnt and I dont think the 9200t does either

I used to use a sony vx410 combi and my vcr but the 970b is a better machine

but for your purposes any dvd recorder will do the job

3. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,059
    A DVD recorder is better all round, provided you still have a working VCR.
    You will get better copies from the machine the tapes were recorded on originally. It also gives you more control than a combo machine.

But to go back to your question - it does not make real sense: 'Does it need to have freeview or HDD?' ... does not compute . It can have either, neither or both... The question is not entirely relevant.
    At this stage if you buy any half-decent DVDR it will have a Freeview tuner in any case... and I would not recommend anything that did not.

A unit that incorporates an HDD is strongly recommended in all circumstances.

As ramjet says above, the issue of the HDD has nothing to do with macrovision.
    To simplify what you may be addressing... You will be able to copy any tapes you recorded yourself to HDD / DVD... You will not be able to copy any commercial tapes which have copyright protection, which is most of them.
    Yes you can transfer. Having a HDD equipped DVDR makes this process easier and more reliable ... and allows you to edit.

4. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    perhaps I misunderstood the humax 9200t aspect as I thought you were trying to copy tapes onto it

if you have recorded something on freeview onto the humax 9200t using its inbuilt tuner , you just link it using a standard scart lead ( or composite leads ) to a dvd recorder and press play on the humax and record on the recorder , no problem at all and I do this with my humax 8000t

5. FIZZPIT

FIZZPIT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the replies everyone, very much appreciated.

I'm still a bit confused as to what I actually need.

I'm thinking that if it's possible as you say to transfer from the Humaxs HDD to a DVD recorder - is there much point getting a dvdr with freeview?

There also doesn't seem much point in getting a combi VHS as there may be copywrite issues that can be bypassed with seperate units.

I suppose it all just boils down to the convenience of having it all in one box.

Thanks again though everyone.

6. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    I managed using a single tuner humax 8000t and a sony vx410 combi vcr , and added a separate vcr with a special scart lead when wanting to backup a proper tape ;)

but the sony was not freeview and had an analogue tuner , and the humax cannot be used with satellite boxes or any external source , and tapes are old hat !!

so I decided not to bother with tapes , bought a sony 970b that does analogue and digital recording to hdd and dvd , and it can record from its av1 or av2 from external sources , has series link and divx playback , and has component and hdmi outputs

I still have the humax 8000t plugged into it and can still link in a vcr when necessary , and the humax gives me the ability to record 2 at once , 1 on the hummy and 1 on the sony , and watch a 3rd channel or whatever

so you pays your money and takes your choice , but having the convenience of a dvd/hdd recorder with both analogue and freeview takes some beating , especially as its linked using component into my toshiba 19 inch lcd tv , and also has a link from my satellite box too (tm9100 )

ps:- transferring from the humax to the dvd recorder will be done in real time , so a 1 hour programme will take 1 hour to copy to dvd

on a sony 970b or similar , fast dub can be used taking maybe a quarter of the time or less , and is done as a background task too. editing out of unwanted parts can also be done on the sony before the fast dub is started

7. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    Getting a DVDR with a digital tuner gives you one extra piece of functionality that getting one without doesn't. You can record a Freeview programme without having any other piece of kit switched on, or you can record a Freeview programme without having any impact on what other programmes your alternative digital TV source(s) are tuned to. So, your Humax can be recording one Freeview programme, you can be watching another, and (if you wanted to) your DVD recorder could be recording a third directly from its own tuner.

I didn't buy a DVDR with an integrated digital tuner - but then, I've got Sky HD, Sky+ and an idTV, so I've got more digital TV sources than I know what to do with already. There has never been an instance where I have thought "If only my DVDR also had a digital tuner I would be happier." I can't remember the last time I watched Freeview on my TV - I certainly can't remember the last time I was watching Freeview on my TV and wanting to record an alternative Freeview programme on my DVDR.

It does, however, seem strange that companies are still manufacturing DVDRs that come with an analogue, but not a digital, tuner. Everybody knows that analogue terrestrial TV is not going to be around for much longer, at which point the tuner in a non-digital DVDR becomes pretty much obsolete except for recording the odd thing that is connected to it via RF (maybe from an old VCR without a scart out if quality is not an issue).