1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

im getting the TH-42PWD6 panny but....

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by technovorgin, Jul 4, 2004.

1. technovorgin

technovorgin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    im getting the TH-42PWD6 panny but....
    my dvd has the three outputs (red,green & blue) little round conections on the back and also has optical out :confused:
    am i right in thinking that when i order the screen tommorow i will need to order 2 boards ie:
    1 scart board for my sky
    and
    1 component board for the dvd quality picture
    bearing in mind i only want to run the dvd and sky i dont want to tune in any aerial cos its all on sky
    OR
    is there a way i can get a top quality picture from useing only one board
    ive read as much as my tiny mind can handle and am now very confused :confused:

2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    You can leave out the component board and connect your DVD to the plasma's VGA input which can accept a component signal via a 15pin VGA to 3 RCA cable.

Also you might want to think about keeping the component board for your DVD player but ditching the SCART board in favor of a JS Tech RGB2VGA converter which by all accounts should give you a better picture than the SCART board for Sky.

Cheers, Lee

3. technovorgin

technovorgin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    right so it comes with a vga input allready on the panel?
    so ask them to swap the scart board for a rgb2vga board and have 2 cables running to the panel?yes?
    my head hurts :confused:

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    technovirgin

Take your time - the PWD6 wont run away any day soon!

Do you have an AV Receiver in your set up - if YES does it have 'Component' video switching and if NO do you plan to add one?

Also do you plan to use a PC or Laptop with the system any time soon?

Best regards

Joe

5. technovorgin

technovorgin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    at the minute is all i have is 3 year old sky box and a sumvision 808 dvd player with 5.1 out,svideo out,coaxil out,video out,scart out and (y,cb/pb,cr/pr output which are coloured red green and blue)and a sony 5.1 amp surround and speakers
    and a damaged chimney breast from where i had the crappy philips 9945 i stupidly bought(pic was rubbish) :mad:
    the wife is giving me grief about the mess so have to get 1 soon ive looked at the panasonic th 42pwd6 and like the picture so am going to take the av sales offer but i dont think i need the quintro scart box
    i am thinking of upgrading the dvd so will tailor the dvd player to the monitor and i can watch any chanell through sky so dont need a tuner im not sure if i need an av reciever

6. EpsomJames

EpsomJames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Sorry for the thread hijack, but I'm wondering about connectivity for my PW6.

I currently only have a SKY+ connected to a scart terminal. I'm happy with the picture quality for the moment, but soon will be buying a DVD recorder and AV receiver that has RCA outputs and has PAL progressive scan.

Can you get progressive scan through the VGA if using a 15-Pin D-SUB to 3 x RCA Cable?

The DVD-Recorder has RGB input, so would it be better to run the SKY+ through this input and out through the RCA component than straight to the scart on the PW6?

Finally, I've been searching but can't find anywhere that sells a 15-Pin D-SUB to 3 x RCA Cable. Know anywhere that stocks them?

7. technovorgin

technovorgin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    just called av sales and he has tailor made me a package to suit my needs with all cables and boards etc so give them a call the have the leads cos i just ordered them with the screen

8. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    yeah av-sales are rather good, had very good service from them when i got my panny :)

9. technovorgin

technovorgin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    heres what ive ordered;
    panny monitor
    js scart2vga for sky
    scart lead and vga lead for above
    component board for dvd input
    i will connect the audio to sony amp and surround system
    my head dont hurt anymore (much :devil: )

10. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    that's pretty much it, bob's ur uncle lol - the next headache though is the wall mounting business, it's worth it IMO and jst makes the plasma look complete if u have a suitable wall. Many thanks to JasonJo for his guide to wall mounting the plasma by the way.

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    EpsomJames

The HD15 Input on your Display can be set to input RGBHV or YUV and YUV can be Interlaced on Progressive.

Using the Cinema mode in the Displays menu you can also apply additional processing to any Interlaced signals to get close to many entry level Progressive DVD players.

HD15 to 3RCA cables are a sock item for us these days - VanDamme and BetterCables being the two brands we carry.

SKY+ via your DVR is really a case of suck it and see - done well you should see little negative affect of routing SKY via the DVR; done badly and it will look soft.

If your DVR is 'clean' then there should be no problem in always viewing SKY through the DVR - if the output of the DVR looks soft compared to SKY direct to the display you may have to have a rethink.

Best regards

Joe

12. EpsomJames

EpsomJames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks Joe. This forum is great, so much info. I hope to be able to contribute soon, instead of asking questions all the time. :)

The DVR will be a Panasonic DMR-E85 (with HD), maybe a bit overkill as I have SKY+ also? But I am always running out of space on the SKY+.

Talking also of wall mounting, because I have a new build house with dry lined walls>air gap>thermolite blocks I could cut a rectangle of plasterboard away (filling and making good the wall) and mount the plasma straight to the thermalite block. I've measured the depth to the block and it would sit such a way that the back of the plasma would be almost hidden with only the side silver frame proud from the wall. Would there be implications with cooling if it was inset in the wall in this way? I will be using a VEDA Debut wall bracket.

Thanks again
    James

13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Hello James

'Burying' the rear of the display is a No No - its basically a huge radiator; the PW6 and PWD6 are convection cooled so stop air flowing and heat radiation from the rear of the Display and you'll quickly have a dead unit.

There are approved methods for having your display 'set back' into a surface - though they require that the display sits in an 'in-go' that's much bigger than the height and width of the display; or you have the rear of the display going into a vented chamber.

Also ensure you have the correct fixings for the type of thermalite block your wall is constructed from.

SKY+ via the DMR-E85 should be fine - these units tend to use decent quality video signal paths so wont mess up the incoming signal.

Best regards

Joe

14. technovorgin

technovorgin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    im going on chimney breast over the philips holes lol :rolleyes:
    so i know how to put the mount up : spirit level big hammer welder etc :devil:

15. EpsomJames

EpsomJames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Joe

Thanks for the quick reply. Good job I'm asking these questions. I'll mount the plasma on the wall as per a guide (3 pages) a mate sent me:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steveb.merritt/wall_mount.htm

I already have the thermalite plugs as shown in the guide.

How much can you do the Silver Serpent Sepcord- HD15 to 3RCA cable for as listed on your website? Email me offline if you prefer. I don't have the DVR yet, but will be after one of these when I get it. Or is a component terminal board better for DVD?

Cheers
    James

16. technovorgin

technovorgin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    just one more thing please mate i can set my dvd to:
    component:
    cvbs output
    y.u.v. output
    rgb output
    tv mode interlace p-scan on/off

and ive just noticed :confused:

contrast
    hue
    gamma
    saturation
    luma display
    ntsc/pal/multi
    and audio channel delay
    + dts 5.1

all this in a £40 dvd player
    where do i start with the settings PLEASE?

17. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    technovorgin (odd spelling)

You start in the Power Buy Forum - send Piero Milani £13 or so for a copy of the AVIA Home Theatre set up DVD and all (or some of it) will be revealed.

You use the DVD much as a video engineer would you a test card to give you reference levels for all of the adjustments you've found in your DVD player - mind you wait until you see the user adjustments in the Display :)

Once you've decided which Input your connecting the DVD player to on the Display you can set it to RGB or Component (YUV) as required - I think YUV going by your earlier Post on what you've ordered; you'll need the correct cable mind! (3RCA to 3BNC or 3RCA to 3RCA depending on which Component card your expecting!).

Best regards

Joe

18. technovorgin

technovorgin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

19. ReHaBWales

ReHaBWales
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Nice link but the site doesn't work well with Firefox :/ I had to go back to IE just to view it properly....Damned Frontpage

20. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Hello techno

I'm bringing out a range of designer AV Anoraks soon enough!!! they'll have secret pockets with all the tips sewn into the hem of the jacket; just in case you get an emergency Plasma question whilst down the pub!

The AVIA disc is pretty good at explaining what its trying to help you achieve and guide you through the basics - you'll probably need to go over it a few times to get the best out of it.

Best regards

Joe

PS Do you get to go on those 'evasive tactics' driving courses then?

21. technovorgin

technovorgin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    yes ive been on 1 course but it wasn't anything to do with guns just a bit of driving :rolleyes:
    it was something like £750 for a day the actual course is something like 2 weeks intensive but i dont need that its not that bad for me + i have a 10 yr firearms ban due to burgler coming through window , me catching him in the act,me accidentaly hitting him gently across the nose with a bat,(a couple of times :zonked: )the courts giving me 6 months did 7 weeks, criminal record for rest of my life but hey ive never been burgled since :)

oh and could i have 2 anoracks please

22. technovorgin

technovorgin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ordered my disc today cant wait till my new screen comes :clap: :clap: :clap: :rotfl: :rotfl: :devil:

23. technovorgin

technovorgin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    those nice people at av sales have told me to expect 2 couriers tommorow 1 with plasma and 1 with the rest of the gear i ordered so its early to bed for me lol :clap:

24. technovorgin

technovorgin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    8.59 am:- mobile going like crazy 'hello'
    'hello is that mr hill'
    'yes'
    'hi sir im outside with your plasma screen'
    'see you in a minute'
    how good is that :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup: :clap: :hiya:
    just waiting for citylink now and im away :zonked:

25. Colonel Burton

Colonel Burton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    So hows it all going technovorgin not heard anything from you, did all your gear turn up are you pleased with it?

26. technovorgin

technovorgin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    right here goes;
    got all my stuff no problem got to putting the bloody thing on the wall and noticed the bottom of the bezel was pushed out a bit this was at 8.30 pm friday night
    so set it all up and did all wireing etc(put the packaging outside in the rain doh)
    tried it its god damn good :clap: :clap:
    called av sales yesterday morning and spoke to hayes
    he called panasonic who advised him they wanted to take away the tv and mend it then send it back
    BUT not from me in leeds but from av sales in tonbridge then deliver them it back when they had repaired it :confused:
    so in other words panasonic were expecting me or av sales to get it too and from leeds
    i advised hayes i had all the packaging outside wet through call you tommorow he said(meaning today)
    you still with me :eek: ???
    hayes calls me this morning at 9 am and says "are you in friday morning?"
    erm yes why are you collecting plasma?
    "no we will collect it monday when you have taken the wrapping off the new one we are sending and boxed the 'old' one up we cant have you treated like this when its brand new and it aint your fault"
    er ok cheers(totaly gobsmacked about the speedy response and the quality of aftersales) :) :thumbsup: :)
    so this is where i am at the moment but how good is that from av sales i cant believe it :clap:
    i have my £13 set up disc from piero in the power buys forum waitin till friday now
    have i mentioned just how good i think the service is from av sales :D

27. ReHaBWales

ReHaBWales
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I must say I'm impressed with AV-sales also. I put in a order for the same screen a couple of weeks ago but the CC company locked it out for security reasons. In the meantime I was having second thoughts about which set to buy so I didn't think much of it. I just thought ...well it will give me time to think some more. AV-sales have called a few times.. not asking me to buy anything but to give me advise and it's been really helpful. I'm trying to organize a trip to their store ATM as I can't get a decent demo here in Wales (I even tried Cardiff yesterday...I honestly believe there are no decent AV companies in Wales)

28. Nippy_Kangaroo

Nippy_Kangaroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats pretty cool for them to offer you a brand new TV without you having to ask them for one... I'm real pleased for you :smashin:

I dont usually buy stuff off the net (specially electrical goods) but going on all the good responses from AVsales customers about their after sales experiences and yourself, I'm going to jump in the deep end and order a panny 6 nxt week or week after, just gotta get settled in new house first! :rolleyes:

cant wait for a plasma tele though coz I'm using a 10 year old 20" crt at the min :suicide:

29. technovorgin

technovorgin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I was totally ****** off last friday night and then waiting till monday to speak to someone was hard on the old melon especialy when you have the wife moaning you have destroyed the living room and there was nothing wrong with the old tv blah blah blah
    god ive only riped the fireplace to bits and drilled a few holes in the newly decorated chimney breast and she moans :rolleyes:
    but antway ill only buy my av gear from av sales in the future (the 60 odd inch next year lol)
    wait till saturday when im chipping the plaster away to bury the cable :laugh:
    hey it could be divorce
    IM FREE IM FREE :hiya:

30. technovorgin

technovorgin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    received my replacement about an hour and half ago its up and running contrast down to -17 colour down to - 15 on sky looks great :clap: :smashin:
    should i let it run in for 100 hours before useing the callibration disc?
    and can i put 8 ohm speakers into it because it says 6 ohm?
    cheers boys :rotfl:
    and once again cheers AV SALES most excellent service throughout :beer: