• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

I'm getting hacked off now!!!!! PQ judder on PHD8

nictry

Distinguished Member
OK, I am now at the point where either my DVD player is knackered, certain disks are faulty, my new 50PHD8 or my RXV2600 amp are faulty? Any ideas?

Problem: Slight juddering during certain scenes on some DVDs

Set up: Panny 565A progressive out through component into RXV2600 (I have tried this with every different setting for both component and HDMI) have to have conversion switched on otherwise no picture from DVD player outputting prog (but have component I/P off)

Connection into PHD8 through both component and HDMI, both exhibit the same slight juddering at random points during playback.

Now I never noticed this before on 42PWD6. Also have not noticed this on SKY+ through JS tech box into RXV2600 and out into either HDMI or component.

So part of me is saying it must be the DVD player at fault but as this was not obvious before I am wondering if I have some settings incorrect (I assume prog scan on the DVD is a must?)

:lease: can someone help as I have put up with this for a few weeks now and it is really spoiling my DVD viewing :lease: :(

gIzzE

Distinguished Member
nictry said:
.....have to have conversion switched on otherwise no picture from DVD player outputting prog (but have component I/P off)......

What conversion do you have to have on?

If you are converting 50 to 60hz it will judder like a bugger!

nictry

Distinguished Member
No option to select within the amp, either on or off, if off then no picture coming through if DVD is set to progressive :confused:

gIzzE

Distinguished Member
You have lost me, I would put your amp in bypass mode, just acting as a switcher, nothing else.

It could be the dvd player, what happens when you put that in interlaced mode, does it still judder?

nictry

Distinguished Member
Well reading the manual it says the recommended setting for conversion is OFF, and doesn't mention anywhere that it will not convert the progressive signal so I am just going to switch it off and see what happens turing I/P on/off on the DVD player????

nictry

Distinguished Member
Right just had a play, if conversion is set to off there is no HDMI output (either DVD or Sky) however also shows the jumping is still there on component with this off so that can't be the problem? Have chkd frequency (can only see this on the screen when viewing HDMI) this shows 60hz on DVD input and 50hz on Sky input?

Just turned DVD player to interlaced and the juddering stops!!!!!! However the HDMI picture looks awful, blacks are really grainy/pixelated, although the component picture looks fine????? Tried all the HDMI settings and made no difference picture still crap!

So if I am reading this all correctly, I am gaining nothing from having a prog scan DVD player? I am gaining nothing from having an upscaling Amp? And for all intents and purposes I am gaining nothing from having an HDMI board in my PHD8?

If all the above is correct then why does anyone bother buying any of this equipment? If the above is incorrect what is the best option I have to give the best PQ even if this means replacing bits of kit?

Thanks to anyone who can help and to Gizlaroc so far for his help.

Piers

You have lost me as well ;))

Sky no judder and DVD bad judder points to frame rate conversion from 50Hz to 60Hz by the DVD player. Have you got any Region 1 DVDs - if so try one in the DVD player - judder gone?

If so, sounds like a setting on the DVD player - no doubt a 565A expert will be able to help.

nictry

Distinguished Member
Piers said:
You have lost me as well ;))

Sky no judder and DVD bad judder points to frame rate conversion from 50Hz to 60Hz by the DVD player. Have you got any Region 1 DVDs - if so try one in the DVD player - judder gone?

If so, sounds like a setting on the DVD player - no doubt a 565A expert will be able to help.

This is a Region 1 DVD? Blade and the scene in a dark room at 60mins and a second, the furniture all glows/shudders, will shove in a R2 in a mo and see if I can recreate the problem?

nictry

Distinguished Member
OK, just confirmed DVD in interlaced shows on the PHD8 as 50hz and switch to prog and changes to 60hz, also doesn't matter whether R1 or R2 both show the same 50hz and 60hz and exhibit the same judder in progressive :confused:

nictry

Distinguished Member
Just found this on a search on the 565a

The 565A does not do PAL progressive scan

and this thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352133&highlight=565a indicating exactly the same issue? Looks like age/quality etc. may be part of the issue? (although as this is affecting R1 discs not sure how it could be?) Any thoughts from the experts before I end up splashing some cash on a decent non HD player to stop my stress levels going up further :(

Piers

If the PHD8 is showing 60Hz using progressive the 565A is frame rate converting, but that doesn't agree with your quote that the 565A doesn't "do" PAL progressive - maybe is does "do" it but FRC's it.

Judder still showing with an NTSC Region 1 DVD has me beat, though it is getting late!

nictry

Distinguished Member
Piers said:
If the PHD8 is showing 60Hz using progressive the 565A is frame rate converting, but that doesn't agree with your quote that the 565A doesn't "do" PAL progressive - maybe is does "do" it but FRC's it.

Judder still showing with an NTSC Region 1 DVD has me beat, though it is getting late!

Well have been scanning all the posts for 565a and seems that the player does play PAL discs through progressive but not actually doing progressive????? However the bigger issue is that a number of posters have commented on the judder when switched to progressive so I think this may be answering the question :( Question is what player to swap it for to get a significant enough boost in PQ to justify the spend :confused: :confused:

gIzzE

Distinguished Member
Just feed it interlaced for now, the screen is probably doing a better job of converting it to progressive than the player anyway.

Then, as Piers says, look at something along the lines of the arcam.

nictry

Distinguished Member
gizlaroc said:
Just feed it interlaced for now, the screen is probably doing a better job of converting it to progressive than the player anyway.

Then, as Piers says, look at something along the lines of the arcam.

Will do and have just bought a DV88+ from the classifieds so hopefully all my tales of woe will soon be over :D

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom