1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm embarrased to ask this question but...

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by DaveP, Jun 1, 2005.

1. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just cant remember where I change the location of files. I'm configuring a second PC to access the MP3 files on my main MCPC.

I did it on that PC to change to the drive I had ripped my MP3s to but now I cant remember how I did it! I've tried looking at Settings within MC but can't find anything.

Help!

Dave

2. BryanKitts

BryanKitts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm not sure if it helps or if it's the simplest solution, but TweakUI (part of "PowerToys for XP" on microsoft.com) includes an option My Computer, Special Folders which allows you to change the location of special folders such as "My Music".

3. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203

That will not help for instance "my music" on my MCE machine is aimed at a folder on my server.

When I 1st went into My Music it asked for locations of folders as did my videos but cannot see a way of adding more

4. stuartmc

stuartmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a specific TweakMCE from Microsoft. Don't have an MCE machine here at the moment so can't check. You can also force a search of other folders using the "i" button when in my music. Not sure though if it will search newtork folders.

5. Dave_M

Dave_M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's a way of doing this from within MCE, but I can't find it now.

You can do it quite easily from Windows Media Player though. Drop out of MCE to Windows, run WMP, go to the Library tab and then at the bottom left there's an Add to Library button. From that select By Monitoring Folders and you get a dialogue that allows the paths to be set up. This is then picked up both by WMP and MCE.

I forgot to mention ...
    You can add paths to other machines using a UNC path - so on my non-MCE machines I use:
    \\mce\Shared Documents\My Music

6. Slinkoff

Slinkoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    not a solution to your problem but relevant, a tip for easily moving system folders rather than using tweakXP:

right-click drag the system folder you want to move (my documents, my pictures or whatever) and drop it where you want it to go. A menu pops up asking you to copy or move. Select move and all the necessary registry changes are done for you.

and MCE is just a fancy frontend for WMP so if you find the interface of WMP easier to use you can do all your file manipulation, settings and everything else in WMP and MCE will pick them up.

7. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. As it happens I had not run the My Music option previously so I did, and was able to chose the location. (thanks JonMace)

I'll look into the other options later, to see if I can add new folders.

Dave

8. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    I think my music is a bit more tricky that my videos. With my videos and pictures you can just press i and then go through the add/remove folders thing.

I think I set all my music up within the library / playlist options of windows media player.

lisa