I'm Convinced Already

In case my description wasn't great, here's a photo of how I drive with AP active. I could easily fall asleep like this.

View attachment 1177472

Your grip is clearly stronger the mine, unless I'm applying pressure to the wheel AP nags on our triggers. Occasionally I've even had to apply so much for its enough to disengage AP.

On our car just resting your hand would not be enough force to keep AP engaged.

Can you clear up this orange anomaly for me then? You need to grip the wheel tightly, but some people can place/tape an orange to it and go sit in the passenger seat.

Can you clear up this orange anomaly for me then? You need to grip the wheel tightly, but some people can place/tape an orange to it and go sit in the passenger seat.

Its not grip its torque. If you don't apply resistance against the turning torque it'll disengage. The orange is essentially a dead weight.

I wish I could keep AP engaged in our by just resting my hands the wheel as suggested, that way I don't have to bother applying torque to the wheel every 10 seconds or so.

Maybe am missing a trick, if I didn't have to bother with moving the wheel I probably could get away with paying far less attention to the road, all the way up the M1 even with torrential rain yesterday AP did pretty much everything :).

Surely the real point is also if Tesla or anyone else actually deliver full autonomy you will be able to sleep??

I agree that is a long way off, but the rate at which tech is developing is fascinating. As I've said am 100% ready to sign any documents devolving Tesla of any legal responsibility for accidents in exchange for access to some of the developer features Tesla have running for AP in the background but dont allow public access to.

Regardless of FSD, this kind of daily commuting is where Tesla's AP, Nissans ProPilot etc are really useful. Nearly 30 minutes to move 5 miles, am was really glad the car did virtually all of that by it self!!

Last edited:
Regardless of FSD, this kind of daily commuting is where Tesla's AP, Nissans ProPilot etc are really useful. Nearly 30 minutes to move 5 miles, am was really glad the car did virtually all of that by it self!!

48479318036_7a8d72ddbc_z_d.jpg
Holding (actually touching) a phone while driving here in Canberra is a $280 fine (might be more)......

L and Provisional drivers (Provisional licence compulsory for three years) can’t use BT or CarPlay or whatever to use any function of the phone at all. Sat Nav allowed if the phone is in a holder made for it - ie not a homemade job with sticky tape :)

I agree adaptive cruise control with auto starting in queues is fantastic :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom