1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm confused with a grand burning a hole in my pocket!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by NumbNutz, Jan 12, 2004.

1. NumbNutz

NumbNutz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Firstly - Hello forum :)

Six years ago I bought a Panasonic 29' (4:3) Surround Sound TV that still, to me anyway, sounds great. Over the past two years, ever since we moved to a house with a bigger lounge, I've wanted a bigger, widescreen TV. My dear lady wife has always said the same thing:

"When my Mother's TV breaks down, she can have this one and you can buy a new, bigger TV."

She was happy to say this as her Mother's 15 year old TV was only used for a couple of hours a day and showed no signs of ageing or degrading. Guess what? It blew up when she tried to watch Coronation Street last Wednesday!

So, I now have permission to look for a bigger screen :D but I have to say I'm a bit confused, especially in the sound area. I was and still am, happy with the surround sound of my current TV. The TV's internal speakers are great and even last week when watching "The Rock" it sounded great as the jets roared overhead and the rear speakers kicked in. Looking at TV's now they don't appear to come with rear speaker setup's. Have they all been forgotten trying to push us into buying seperates or home cinema boxes?

I was looking at the Panasonic TX32PD30 but I cannot see if I could hook up my current rear speakers to it. Any ideas? Then again, after looking at other peoples problems with the TX32PD30, I don't think I'd want to spend more than a grand on something that has a list of problems longer than Leeds Utd list of creditors.

I definetly don't want a 28 inch screen, that'd be too puny in my lounge so I want a 32.

I still want to have surround sound - can I use my old speakers?After all, I had the cables burried behind plaster and the ceiling when we had some work done.

If, as seems likely, I wouldn't be able to use my old speakers and their current (buried :( ) cables, please can someone reccomend a good 32 widescreen TV and Home Cinema package?

Thanks for reading and in advance if you can point me in the right direction.

2. Dan666

Dan666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    TVs with surround sound are almost all Dolby ProLogic. With the advent of DVD and associated home cinema equipment, this has been all but replaced by Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS.

I cant think of any TVs which employ this technology. With the last 3 TVs Ive bought, Ive known that I wouldnt be bothering with the TVs on-board speakers - my AV receiver and 5.1 set up would be doing that. I dont think Im the only one either.

I would suggest you go for a decent Nicam TV and a seperate AV Receiver and speaker set up. You could still use the existing wiring and speakers if necessary - just buy a set of fronts, a centre and a sub.

3. Rojo Habe

Rojo Habe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You might try here for a whole host of Dolby Digital equipped Toshes (listed under "Home Cinema TV"). The ZP38 is a very popular model, and is often considered along with the Panny PD30 by people looking for the best There's also the ZT29, which also has a freeview tuner built in (although cosmetically I think it's quite an ugly set). I think pretty much all of them come with speakers; you'll probaly probably want to reuse your existing speaker cables if they're buried in the walls.

If your old telly was 29", I'd seriously think about geting a 36" widescreen rather than 32". The latter will definitely look smaller than you're used to. 36 is probably going to look a little bit smaller, though only marginally. If you've got the money you might be getting into the realms of 40", either plasma, LCD or rear projection (though there are very few 40" LCD screens about yet).

4. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about the Panasonic 32PS5 with a decent 50Hz picture (from what I saw in Comet and built in Dolby Digital. Wont break the bank either at under £700 online. And you will be amazed at the sound of Dolby Digital compared with prologic.

It is true though that you get used to the height of your screen, as neer as is 21 inch 4:3 = 28 inch ws / 25 inch 4:3 = 32 inch and 29 = 36

Regards

Robert