1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm buying a plasma panel

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Arepee, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Arepee

Arepee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a long story but I am buying myself a plasma tv - mate and I always talked about it, he died in March and has left me a few quid so it seems appropriate to do so now.

I've got a Panasonic home cinema system hooked up to my Panasonic 32" CRT, also a good music system (Marantz amp, MS speakers etc) so I have some components to work with.

Now I need the panel. Going to be hooking it up to Sky Plus and the Panasonic DVD Player/Home Cinema, probabaly also adding a Sony PS2 at some point.

Budget isn't fixed, just what I can justify to myself. I would guess I'll be looking at approx 2 grand - I'm not totally sure that 42" isn't too big for the room I'll be putting it in but let's assume 42" comes out on top - what should I go for? Where should I buy from?

Also, I am totally novice when people talk about 'boards' that are required. What's that all about? To put it simply, can't I just buy a Plasma TV and hook it up to my Sky Plus and off we go ????

2. buzzby

buzzby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the TV would fit in the room then it is not too big.

Most people on the forum will recommend the Pansonic PW6 or PW7 screens which are very good. I am about to buy the PE30 which is a PW6 screen with built in freeview and more connectors. The quality on this screen is amasing.

but as you have sky you have no need for the PE30.

I did start looking at the panasonic PHD7. It has a higher screen resolution which i think means it will support HD TV which sky will start broadcasting in 2006.

As you have no fixed budget yet it would seem a good idea to look at the higher resolution screens.

My best advice would be DO NOT BUY unless you have seen.

I hope i have been helpful

3. dave0523

dave0523
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Spend a little more and buy a Pioneer 434 or 435, I'm well happy with mine.

4. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Arepee, firstly sorry for the loss of your friend.
    Because plasmas are 'display' panels (similar to computer monitors) some of them do not come with TV tuners or connectors built in.
    If you get something like the PW6 or PW7 then you may have to get input boards aswell. There is one for scart, one for S-video, one for component and one for HDMI. What you need to connect up to your screen will decide what input boards you will need. There is also an option to buy something like the JS Tech converters to enable you to connect everything via the plasmas VGA input.
    All these items can be bought from AV Sales who have a good reputation. There are many customers of AV Sales within this forum. They generally sell at very competitive prices too.

5. Arepee

Arepee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the comments and advice guys.

I know it must be a pain in the backside when someone who knows as little as myself appears on here and asks stupid questions!! Thanks for your understanding.

6. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hey! we were you once...... ;) :smashin:

7. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Forgive me but after reading these threads, it seems to be throwing up more questions than answers!

I am about to buy a plasma rather than lcd and was taking HDTV into account.

Q. How HD compatible is Hitachi`s 32pd5200? Does it have an HD screen?

Q. Whats a DVI socket? If a plasma has it does this mean i can watch HD when it comes out?

Q. In two years, will i stilll be able to use a non HD panel such as PW7(tempted), say, on a freeview box?

Please help!

8. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not to be rude or anything, but if you do a simple search you'll find out these questions have been asked - and answered - in fact over and over on this forum.