1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm about to buy a Philips 36PW9607 - Is there a better 36" TV for under £1600? (nt)

Discussion in 'TVs' started by PapAV, May 10, 2002.

1. PapAV

PapAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    f

2. beavis

beavis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic 36pl30, only £1400!

3. PapAV

PapAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    and it's better than the Philips is it?

Why?

And has anyone seen a review of the 9607 yet? Anywhere???

4. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Have a look at the thread started by ums69 below. Go to the last few posts, from a couple of us who actually have a 9607 as opposed to those who think that a Panasonic tube in a Philips TV is a hanging offence.

As to is there a better one for less than £1600, not in my opinion. If you can get a Loewe for about that then that is a real contender, but only 32" of course. I shortlisted the Tosh, the Loewe, the Hitachi with prog scan, and the Philips. The tosh and Hitachi fell out first - nice sets but picture not as good as the others. The Loewe was just better with DVDs, the 9607 better with broadcast material, and colours were more vibrant on the 9607. But I really wanted 36", so it had to be the Philips.

If you're bugged about the Panasonic tube thing, I compared the 28" 9617 (Philips tube) with the 9607 and could see no difference. My tube, and they probably don't all perform equally, has minor geometry issues but nothin to worry about and if you watch the programme rather than look at the screen then you will not notice them.

I have said on the other thread, and not just because i have bought one (I spent weeks roaming around dealers shops comparing the sets before making a choice) that this is one hell of a TV. It would be even better with component inputs and prog scan, but all things in life are compromises.

5. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No

But there are a few bigger RP sets for less that are better (IMO).

6. nictry

nictry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Following up from the Philips fan club!!! I have to wait for my 9607 (dealer awaiting stock) but previously had the older Philips 9525 which I returned on Saturday (long story!) however I have been loaned a 32" Sony by the dealer and although viewing tastes are very individual I have to say the sony is not a patch on the 9525, the colours look too soft, the whites too bright and the skin tones on DVD with any amount of playing just look too unatural. All in all I look forward to the day my Philips turns up as having seen its quality in a demo it eats my loan Sony for breakfast!!!