I'm about 10 steps into the Vinyl minefield.

Hi. We were using the Sony TA-V3 until it started playing up. We ae now using the JVC. It has 40 per channel at 8ohms. Not sure about the sensitivity? This is what I pulled from a website but I'm not really sure what I should be looking at:
  • Type: 2 way, 2 driver loudspeaker system
  • Frequency Response: 40Hz to 20kHz
  • Recommended Amplifier: 35 to 150W
  • Impedance: 8 ohms
  • Sensitivity: 90dB
  • Bass: 1 x 170mm Aerogel paper
  • Tweeter: 1 x 26mm ferrofluid cooled
  • Enclosure: 28 litre, bass reflex
I'll definitely get some banana plugs or spade bits.

Something that just occurred to me after reading another thread. Don't rush out and get your cables terminated with banana plugs if you are considering the Alpha 10 or A22 amps as they use slightly different connectors. Certainly not a reason not to buy either of those amps of course. If you do get either then we can help you with the right connections but bare wire will do just fine for the time being.

Something that just occurred to me after reading another thread. Don't rush out and get your cables terminated with banana plugs if you are considering the Alpha 10 or A22 amps as they use slightly different connectors. Certainly not a reason not to buy either of those amps of course. If you do get either then we can help you with the right connections but bare wire will do just fine for the time being.
Thanks. I got some banana plugs and spade connectors but the spade connectors are massive. They won't be going on yet anyway. I thought the speakers were coming yesterday but it turns out they won't be here until next week now.

Hi all. I just thought I'd give a little update seeing as you were all good enough to reply to my questions. Thanks for that.
So I ordered my speakers (Mission 752's) from Ebay from a guy/shop that services speakers etc and I paid a bit extra for this as I'd have piece of mind that my speakers would be fully serviced etc rather than take a chance on something that may need attention sooner rather than later. They were originally up for £195 + £18 P&P so I asked the seller if they'd take £200 for them including postage as this was what my budget was at. He accepted, I paid and was looking forward to receiving them. Then I got an alert from ebay saying that they had been delivered so I asked the seller for a tracking number as I hadn't received them. He told me that because of the reduced price they'd get to me later and told me to ignore the alert as it's a known problem with ebay. My speakers would be sent the following Monday for a Wednesday delivery. So yesterday (Thursday) I got in touch again and asked for a tracking number and he said the courier companies have upped their prices suddenly and he's trying to find a cheaper one. He said it used to be £28 but now it's £60. I replied saying I understand his problem but I've paid for the speakers and it's not really my problem and that he should take the hit as I've already paid and adjust his delivery estimates going forward. I was already beginning to think the worst anyway and then I got his reply and he absolutely when off on one. And the messages since have been like that crazy I actually thought he was a bit unstable. It looks like I'm going to have to try and get my money back through Ebay hopefully.
So that's why I've not updated you all on how my "new" speakers are sounding on my JVC amp! It actually feels like I'm in the Twilight Zone.

Hi all. I just thought I'd give a little update seeing as you were all good enough to reply to my questions. Thanks for that.
So I ordered my speakers (Mission 752's) from Ebay from a guy/shop that services speakers etc and I paid a bit extra for this as I'd have piece of mind that my speakers would be fully serviced etc rather than take a chance on something that may need attention sooner rather than later. They were originally up for £195 + £18 P&P so I asked the seller if they'd take £200 for them including postage as this was what my budget was at. He accepted, I paid and was looking forward to receiving them. Then I got an alert from ebay saying that they had been delivered so I asked the seller for a tracking number as I hadn't received them. He told me that because of the reduced price they'd get to me later and told me to ignore the alert as it's a known problem with ebay. My speakers would be sent the following Monday for a Wednesday delivery. So yesterday (Thursday) I got in touch again and asked for a tracking number and he said the courier companies have upped their prices suddenly and he's trying to find a cheaper one. He said it used to be £28 but now it's £60. I replied saying I understand his problem but I've paid for the speakers and it's not really my problem and that he should take the hit as I've already paid and adjust his delivery estimates going forward. I was already beginning to think the worst anyway and then I got his reply and he absolutely when off on one. And the messages since have been like that crazy I actually thought he was a bit unstable. It looks like I'm going to have to try and get my money back through Ebay hopefully.
So that's why I've not updated you all on how my "new" speakers are sounding on my JVC amp! It actually feels like I'm in the Twilight Zone.
Shocking. Hope you get things sorted.

Sorry to hear that. It happened to me too. Bought a Topping D10s DAC off Ebay at nearly full price (listen as open box). When I recieved it, the rubber feet had loads of dust on them and the USB input seemed a little loose. It also took 3 times longer to deliver than normal. When I sent a message to get a refund as I believed it was used and possibly faulty, the guy went full on postal, attacking my character, calling me names, insulting, etc. Thankfully, it seems to me that Ebay usually sides with the buyer in these disputes. Just keep on and don't let the guy try and fob you off. Good luck...

That's such a shame but if you bought through ebay and the reduced price was agreed and paid through ebays system, so they still get their cut, then I guarantee they will come down on your side.

Something sounds fishy though. If ebay sent you a genuine message saying they were delivered then you should be able to see the tracking number and name of service used in the purchase details in your own account. Have a look and see what's there. If he's uploaded incorrect tracking details then point this out when opening an ebay dispute.

By the way, spotted these on Ebay and thought of you. Don't know if you live close to London, but they are £50 with only a 9 hours remaining.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
By the way, spotted these on Ebay and thought of you. Don't know if you live close to London, but they are £50 with only a 9 hours remaining.

Do be aware if considering these that they are much much bigger and boxier looking than the slim 752's and won't sound as good, except perhaps in the low end. They are also a bit older than the 752's. I'm speaking kind of from experience as I went from the smaller, but still big 764i's to 752's myself.

That said, if I had space and was on a tight budget, I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at these depending on the state they were in.

Shocking. Hope you get things sorted.
Agreed - Rarely use eBay nowadays too many chancers and liars on there. If you’re looking at 2nd hand I’d use the classifieds on here. You may pay a few £ more or have to wait for what you want but you’ll be buying kit that’s been well looked after rather than someone else’s junk.
For example these recently sold for your budget

I'd try to get a refund even if you can get them for the originally agreed price. Better not to deal with low ballers at all!

Sorry to hear that. It happened to me too. Bought a Topping D10s DAC off Ebay at nearly full price (listen as open box). When I recieved it, the rubber feet had loads of dust on them and the USB input seemed a little loose. It also took 3 times longer to deliver than normal. When I sent a message to get a refund as I believed it was used and possibly faulty, the guy went full on postal, attacking my character, calling me names, insulting, etc. Thankfully, it seems to me that Ebay usually sides with the buyer in these disputes. Just keep on and don't let the guy try and fob you off. Good luck...
It's crazy how they just go in on you. I took screenshots of all the messages just in case they disappear. I started a case but Ebay need to give the guy time to rectify things. He keeps telling me to refuse them at the door when they get delivered as he's voided the transaction?! It's madness. I thought he'd maybe messaged the wrong guy at first because it was so unexpected.

That's such a shame but if you bought through ebay and the reduced price was agreed and paid through ebays system, so they still get their cut, then I guarantee they will come down on your side.

Something sounds fishy though. If ebay sent you a genuine message saying they were delivered then you should be able to see the tracking number and name of service used in the purchase details in your own account. Have a look and see what's there. If he's uploaded incorrect tracking details then point this out when opening an ebay dispute.
Hopefully, ebay will do the right thing. Its just a pain that everything takes so long to sort it. I think if they saw his messages I'd have my money back straight away.
I had a look at the tracking like you said, I've attached a screenshot.
Screenshot_20211113_121020.jpg

Thanks for that but I'm in Scotland. To be fair, I've kind of set my heart on the 752's now.

Agreed - Rarely use eBay nowadays too many chancers and liars on there. If you’re looking at 2nd hand I’d use the classifieds on here. You may pay a few £ more or have to wait for what you want but you’ll be buying kit that’s been well looked after rather than someone else’s junk.
For example these recently sold for your budget

Yeah, I definitely feel like it's been a lot more trouble than it's worth. I'd definitely think twice about using eBay again.

I'd try to get a refund even if you can get them for the originally agreed price. Better not to deal with low ballers at all!
The guy has said they're on the way but I don't believe him. It's all a bit strange as to why he completely lost the plot. And his messages are barely legible which doesn't help.

So, here's the messages.

Me: Hi. It came up in the app saying the speakers have been delivered. They haven't. I was just wondering if you have a tracking number or details of where they've been delivered to?

Him:
Hi Matt

In accordance to discounting the entire postage I'd said these would not go off quickly & in fact they will leave on Monday for say a Wednesday delivery. As for the APP here on eBay everyone is reporting this problem of misinformation delivery so I'd just ignore that. I had to mark them as despatched as eBay gives notices, but what its saying is systemically flawed & eBay know. But anyway the tracking will go on from Monday the they leave. Its also a mammoth packing job with a speaker of this kind you see.​

Me: (on the Thursday) -
Hi Cameron. Is there any chance I can get that tracking number please? I just want to make sure that someone is in when they come.
Thanks.

Him:
Hi Matt

Yes its been a bugger this with Obstacles Obstacles with this package.

All the couriers have put their prices up very recently I now know. Where as I have sent this model many times at 28.00, I now cannot get a quote under 60 GBP for it. The package weighs more than 40 kg with a decent packing job done and is over 100 CM's in length. On top of this I'm having to supervise stuff from a distance at present. Its still possible i might find something around 30. I'll keep trying Matt and not give up. \But paying over 60 plus vat is out of the question given we make very little on these 752's and
shipping matter with them is no joke tbh - 40KG through the post is an awesome weight and this new price hike is going to completely change what we can send I think.

Anyway I'll get back Matt - something in the way of a doable quote might turn up when I search other couriers & engines

Regards - Cameron

Me:
Hi Cameron.
I appreciate you've got issues but I was expecting them last Friday and after speaking to you, you said I'd get them this Wednesday which has now been and gone.
As I said, I appreciate you've got issues with couriers but this really doesn't have anything to do with me. I paid the agreed price which included £18 for shipping. With my company, if pricing for shipping had changed after we had an agreement and especially after we'd taken payment, we'd take the hit and adjust our prices accordingly for the next customer.
I don't want to go down the road of asking for a refund and looking elsewhere as I've already missed out on other speakers that I was watching.
Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks.
Matt.

Him: (This was when it went rapidly downhill) -
You hnow have a stinking attitude is my thoughts mate. You didn't pay didn't any postage as you came to me and wanted it off and got that exact figure off the cost. The postage that was assigned to this listing was removed from the price of the speakers = FREE and you know that. They've actually gone and it cost us 60 pounds to send them of to you. You may think you have a case for being annoyed but haven't. You are doing that I think by allowing yourself to believe that posting 40 KG is northing - easy. You even seem to think you paid. Nowyou are moaning ands putting a spot. By accommodating you postage OFF happened at the worst time as I had no idea they'd hiked the prices & done this to a size we send quite a lot.. I was already about to pay 28 plus vat as a matter of cause anyway - not 18 mate and that was the previous cost of 40 KG and I didn't say a word that it would be more than shown originally.

Don't wind us up please mate -n you've used some mind games on yourself to turn this into your offence. You have no consideration for the way I got stuck in a jam with inflated postage.

We are in Fleetwood on Saturday and would come and get them. I am really angry that you'd come with a sob story about about post off then come out with that stuff even claiming you paid post and taking your attitude is disgisting.

We tyake grace office when treated like this by people.

It cost 60 quid to honour the matter after price increase problems as described. Now you expwxt to kick us in the b**** as well ?

Don't mess with us please - just don't. we are Scots as well.

Cameron.

Me:
Cameron
Can you send me the tracking number please?

Him:
You have voided the transaction by lying about postage matters. Similarly by making up a set of convenient to your agenda bartificial ad hominem style beliefs. You've insulted me by implacation for having the neck to show like that. And you expected to be patronising. Whatever way you might have thought you had the perfect standpoint to claim postage cost was involved you this is not a court where that shall matter.Take it to the place where that could default negative technicality if you wish. Right here Matt you will find that tools like cases or NFB are of no concern to me once someone has insulted me like you have . Do whatever you like with those & I'll just see what happens.

When they arrive please refuse them at the door. I do not do any form of transaction with liars due to the simple reason that the rationale leads to fraud in too many cases.

Ok Matt ? - don't take them in n- refuse them - and when they arrive back you get a full refund - without post you didn't pay ofc.

rewriting the narrati9ve to suit eBay typee blackmail. But worst of all made the crucial mistake of claiming you'd paid post by. Then use negative feedback of whatever you like with Ebay.

You lied. tried it on with me, the transaction is OVER.

Me:
This is one of the most ridiculous ebay transactions I've ever been involved in. Why are you getting offended by me asking for a tracking number?
Let's just clear a few things up. I contacted you and asked you if you'd take £200 for the speakers. You had them for sale for £195 plus £18P&P. That comes to £213. You sent me the offer for £182 plus £18 P&P. It's right there in black and white. You knocked off £13 from the speakers and the P&P remained the same at £18. Delivery when I paid was 3 to 5 days. I then got an alert saying they had been delivered which you told me to ignore. I then asked for a tracking number and you told me about your issues with the courier companies. I then told you, politely, where I stood and the messages from you since have been utterly ridiculous. I don't believe you ever had any intention of sending them and if you have, you wouldn't begrudge giving me the tracking number. Everything is documented, I can't possibly see how think you're being hard done to.

Him:
Our convertsation is over since they are defaming lies

There was delay and a major predicament caused due to a big price hike on shipping for parcels of these dimensions. Particularly in a setting where you'd had the last any last remnants of post cost removed after iu had list almost half price post already. You then decided to play games and claim you paid something just so you could create issues.

I am giving you formal legal notice that this transaction is Void. We do not have recognise brersches of trust such as those, not listen to false claims concerning post funds it as a transaction as you made false representations about paying post.

This transaction is Void please refuse it at the door as we are not doing a transaction whilst being treated like this.

Regards

Me:
Please send me a tracking number. Thanks.

Him:
The tracking number is private as this isn't a bone fide transaction any longer. All you have to do is refuse delivery and either me personally, or if you prefer the platform shall do so. If you have not opened them = refused there is no issue is there. Thatbpackage is bound up with heavy duty protection like a tank. It took two hours to pack and would take a surprising amount of time to undo. I advise onto return it untouched - get that fact on the system - and the drivers signature on your paper according to that fact or whatever you choose. If it is opened that will be the problem obviously. If it does not pass the threshold of your door and has a document, then no matter what you'd get refunded as you didn't even touch it witnessed by the courier.

It comes back here in that way = you get refunded in full for the identical figure you paid - identical - you were given a post free cost FREE. You get the same amount you paid back but - actually - no post was Paid was it MATT ?

I paid ot it and you are violating GDPR by expecting information linked to matter you cannot prove you paid for unless you try your luck in some court. Where they will have to work with how you did this - won't they MATT.

Just send that parcel back please.

Me:
Why would I send back a pair of speakers that I was quite happy to pay for? If they turn up, I'll be keeping them. But they won't turn up because you haven't sent them. You need to accept the fact that I paid the postage as advertised by yourself which was £18. When you changed the price of the speakers, the postage was still showing as £18. I can't be held responsible because you can't get your postage pricing right.
As for GDPR, I'm asking for a tracking number that is coming to my address for an item I've paid for. If anything you're breaking GDPR by refusing to give me information on goods I've bought and paid for. If I request information that you have for me, you have to give me it. As I've said previously, everything I've said is backed up by the listing and our messages between each other.
And please please please, proof read your messages before you click send. There are parts of your messages that are completely incoherent.

Him:
Because if you do not ill take you to court. They do not belong to you, thus I gave notice the the transaction is void after volleys of insults.You froze the funds. Mission 752 are not yours and you have no right to touch that package at all.

Me:
I've done nothing wrong. I've bought and paid for my speakers. You haven't delivered and got all crazy.
I won't be messaging again as you clearly aren't capable of seeing reason and I'll leave it for Ebay to sort out. It's actually uncomfortable dealing with you because of the way you're acting.
This will get sorted out eventually, you've just chosen to make life as difficult as possible for both of us.

Him:
Thats what they all say sunshine. You will never get past the confidence trick style deception committed when you claimed you'd paid a postal sum & used this to entitle yourself to make up defaming versions of reality by debunking how much it costs to shift 40 KG of massive parcel to Scotland for god sake.

Him:
Oh advice I see. Funds are frozen - I do not have them eBay does..No tricky nu interpretation could suggest these speakers any anyone else but mine. Return then untouched - do not unpack them and you get the refund right ? If you mess with me in any way you'll be in court. I hope bays the costs Matt I really do as if anything upsets me any further thats what will happen at you type of daily interest in a cast iron case of using deception. Leave it - you tried to screw me over it backfired. Get over it

Him:
I have every right to mention potential legal action for being abusive and defaming. Y are now taking about going through another persons belongings and retaining them when I can legally end the transaction and forbid that. You have a fool proof way to get all you many back, but want to take possession of items you are not legally entitled to do anymore..

Him: (the following morning)
I have had an email stating this has been rescheduled to Monday & could not give a monkeys how you alter reality this time. Just make sure its refused that day instead.

So that's it!

Last edited:
So, here's the messages.

Me: Hi. It came up in the app saying the speakers have been delivered. They haven't. I was just wondering if you have a tracking number or details of where they've been delivered to?

Him:
Hi Matt

In accordance to discounting the entire postage I'd said these would not go off quickly & in fact they will leave on Monday for say a Wednesday delivery. As for the APP here on eBay everyone is reporting this problem of misinformation delivery so I'd just ignore that. I had to mark them as despatched as eBay gives notices, but what its saying is systemically flawed & eBay know. But anyway the tracking will go on from Monday the they leave. Its also a mammoth packing job with a speaker of this kind you see.​

Me: (on the Thursday) -
Hi Cameron. Is there any chance I can get that tracking number please? I just want to make sure that someone is in when they come.
Thanks.

Him:
Hi Matt

Yes its been a bugger this with Obstacles Obstacles with this package.

All the couriers have put their prices up very recently I now know. Where as I have sent this model many times at 28.00, I now cannot get a quote under 60 GBP for it. The package weighs more than 40 kg with a decent packing job done and is over 100 CM's in length. On top of this I'm having to supervise stuff from a distance at present. Its still possible i might find something around 30. I'll keep trying Matt and not give up. \But paying over 60 plus vat is out of the question given we make very little on these 752's and
shipping matter with them is no joke tbh - 40KG through the post is an awesome weight and this new price hike is going to completely change what we can send I think.

Anyway I'll get back Matt - something in the way of a doable quote might turn up when I search other couriers & engines

Regards - Cameron

Me:
Hi Cameron.
I appreciate you've got issues but I was expecting them last Friday and after speaking to you, you said I'd get them this Wednesday which has now been and gone.
As I said, I appreciate you've got issues with couriers but this really doesn't have anything to do with me. I paid the agreed price which included £18 for shipping. With my company, if pricing for shipping had changed after we had an agreement and especially after we'd taken payment, we'd take the hit and adjust our prices accordingly for the next customer.
I don't want to go down the road of asking for a refund and looking elsewhere as I've already missed out on other speakers that I was watching.
Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks.
Matt.

Him: (This was when it went rapidly downhill) -
You hnow have a stinking attitude is my thoughts mate. You didn't pay didn't any postage as you came to me and wanted it off and got that exact figure off the cost. The postage that was assigned to this listing was removed from the price of the speakers = FREE and you know that. They've actually gone and it cost us 60 pounds to send them of to you. You may think you have a case for being annoyed but haven't. You are doing that I think by allowing yourself to believe that posting 40 KG is northing - easy. You even seem to think you paid. Nowyou are moaning ands putting a spot. By accommodating you postage OFF happened at the worst time as I had no idea they'd hiked the prices & done this to a size we send quite a lot.. I was already about to pay 28 plus vat as a matter of cause anyway - not 18 mate and that was the previous cost of 40 KG and I didn't say a word that it would be more than shown originally.

Don't wind us up please mate -n you've used some mind games on yourself to turn this into your offence. You have no consideration for the way I got stuck in a jam with inflated postage.

We are in Fleetwood on Saturday and would come and get them. I am really angry that you'd come with a sob story about about post off then come out with that stuff even claiming you paid post and taking your attitude is disgisting.

We tyake grace office when treated like this by people.

It cost 60 quid to honour the matter after price increase problems as described. Now you expwxt to kick us in the b**** as well ?

Don't mess with us please - just don't. we are Scots as well.

Cameron.

Me:
Cameron
Can you send me the tracking number please?

Him:
You have voided the transaction by lying about postage matters. Similarly by making up a set of convenient to your agenda bartificial ad hominem style beliefs. You've insulted me by implacation for having the neck to show like that. And you expected to be patronising. Whatever way you might have thought you had the perfect standpoint to claim postage cost was involved you this is not a court where that shall matter.Take it to the place where that could default negative technicality if you wish. Right here Matt you will find that tools like cases or NFB are of no concern to me once someone has insulted me like you have . Do whatever you like with those & I'll just see what happens.

When they arrive please refuse them at the door. I do not do any form of transaction with liars due to the simple reason that the rationale leads to fraud in too many cases.

Ok Matt ? - don't take them in n- refuse them - and when they arrive back you get a full refund - without post you didn't pay ofc.

rewriting the narrati9ve to suit eBay typee blackmail. But worst of all made the crucial mistake of claiming you'd paid post by. Then use negative feedback of whatever you like with Ebay.

You lied. tried it on with me, the transaction is OVER.

Me:
This is one of the most ridiculous ebay transactions I've ever been involved in. Why are you getting offended by me asking for a tracking number?
Let's just clear a few things up. I contacted you and asked you if you'd take £200 for the speakers. You had them for sale for £195 plus £18P&P. That comes to £213. You sent me the offer for £182 plus £18 P&P. It's right there in black and white. You knocked off £13 from the speakers and the P&P remained the same at £18. Delivery when I paid was 3 to 5 days. I then got an alert saying they had been delivered which you told me to ignore. I then asked for a tracking number and you told me about your issues with the courier companies. I then told you, politely, where I stood and the messages from you since have been utterly ridiculous. I don't believe you ever had any intention of sending them and if you have, you wouldn't begrudge giving me the tracking number. Everything is documented, I can't possibly see how think you're being hard done to.

Him:
Our convertsation is over since they are defaming lies

There was delay and a major predicament caused due to a big price hike on shipping for parcels of these dimensions. Particularly in a setting where you'd had the last any last remnants of post cost removed after iu had list almost half price post already. You then decided to play games and claim you paid something just so you could create issues.

I am giving you formal legal notice that this transaction is Void. We do not have recognise brersches of trust such as those, not listen to false claims concerning post funds it as a transaction as you made false representations about paying post.

This transaction is Void please refuse it at the door as we are not doing a transaction whilst being treated like this.

Regards

Me:
Please send me a tracking number. Thanks.

Him:
The tracking number is private as this isn't a bone fide transaction any longer. All you have to do is refuse delivery and either me personally, or if you prefer the platform shall do so. If you have not opened them = refused there is no issue is there. Thatbpackage is bound up with heavy duty protection like a tank. It took two hours to pack and would take a surprising amount of time to undo. I advise onto return it untouched - get that fact on the system - and the drivers signature on your paper according to that fact or whatever you choose. If it is opened that will be the problem obviously. If it does not pass the threshold of your door and has a document, then no matter what you'd get refunded as you didn't even touch it witnessed by the courier.

It comes back here in that way = you get refunded in full for the identical figure you paid - identical - you were given a post free cost FREE. You get the same amount you paid back but - actually - no post was Paid was it MATT ?

I paid ot it and you are violating GDPR by expecting information linked to matter you cannot prove you paid for unless you try your luck in some court. Where they will have to work with how you did this - won't they MATT.

Just send that parcel back please.

Me:
Why would I send back a pair of speakers that I was quite happy to pay for? If they turn up, I'll be keeping them. But they won't turn up because you haven't sent them. You need to accept the fact that I paid the postage as advertised by yourself which was £18. When you changed the price of the speakers, the postage was still showing as £18. I can't be held responsible because you can't get your postage pricing right.
As for GDPR, I'm asking for a tracking number that is coming to my address for an item I've paid for. If anything you're breaking GDPR by refusing to give me information on goods I've bought and paid for. If I request information that you have for me, you have to give me it. As I've said previously, everything I've said is backed up by the listing and our messages between each other.
And please please please, proof read your messages before you click send. There are parts of your messages that are completely incoherent.

Him:
Because if you do not ill take you to court. They do not belong to you, thus I gave notice the the transaction is void after volleys of insults.You froze the funds. Mission 752 are not yours and you have no right to touch that package at all.

Me:
I've done nothing wrong. I've bought and paid for my speakers. You haven't delivered and got all crazy.
I won't be messaging again as you clearly aren't capable of seeing reason and I'll leave it for Ebay to sort out. It's actually uncomfortable dealing with you because of the way you're acting.
This will get sorted out eventually, you've just chosen to make life as difficult as possible for both of us.

Him:
Thats what they all say sunshine. You will never get past the confidence trick style deception committed when you claimed you'd paid a postal sum & used this to entitle yourself to make up defaming versions of reality by debunking how much it costs to shift 40 KG of massive parcel to Scotland for god sake.

Him:
Oh advice I see. Funds are frozen - I do not have them eBay does..No tricky nu interpretation could suggest these speakers any anyone else but mine. Return then untouched - do not unpack them and you get the refund right ? If you mess with me in any way you'll be in court. I hope bays the costs Matt I really do as if anything upsets me any further thats what will happen at you type of daily interest in a cast iron case of using deception. Leave it - you tried to screw me over it backfired. Get over it

Him:
I have every right to mention potential legal action for being abusive and defaming. Y are now taking about going through another persons belongings and retaining them when I can legally end the transaction and forbid that. You have a fool proof way to get all you many back, but want to take possession of items you are not legally entitled to do anymore..

Him: (the following morning)
I have had an email stating this has been rescheduled to Monday & could not give a monkeys how you alter reality this time. Just make sure its refused that day instead.

So that's it!
Good grief! What a mess. I really don't understand his anger and insulting attitude. Your questions and concerns seemed quite reasonable. and your reactions to his threats and insults seemed quite measured to me. My assumption is that his distress is internally generated and has nothing to do with you. Don't take it personally...you did the right thing and handled it very well indeed.

Something like this actually happened to me. I had sold a few floorstanders on Ebay, and used a well-known courier company that charged around £28 each time including insurance. I had to send a pair of Wharfedale 12.3s and assumed, falsely, that the postage was the same.They were over 1m high and I had to pay £70 to send them. Was gutted, but realised it was my fault, took the loss, and sent them. The other party probably didn't even realise.

This fellow clearly freaked out when he realised how much it would cost to send these speakers, as he clearly hadn't checked the postage costs before listing them. I wonder if they were even sent? Somehow I doubt it. I reckon he is just making a fuss to try to get out of paying the Ebay fees for a transaction he doesn't want to honour. If you pay £200 and he cancels, he still pays the Ebay fees. But on the other hand, if he posts them, he pays £60 and loses money even more money. Stuck between a rock and a hard place, he flipped and tried to find some way to get you to cancel the order. If you cancel it, he may get the fees waved, as it is not his fault.

That is my take on it. I hope it gets sorted. I definitely would not reply to any more messages though. He clearly has a narcissistic or anti-social personality disorder. Sane people don't behave this way. Best stay clear. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apologies if this has already been mentioned but, all messages both sent and received through the eBay messaging system will be viewable by eBay as they need to be able to see message exchanges, precisely because of such situations as yours. Always use the eBay message system for your own protection and peace of mind.

Good luck with sorting this out.

Hopefully, ebay will do the right thing. Its just a pain that everything takes so long to sort it. I think if they saw his messages I'd have my money back straight away.
I had a look at the tracking like you said, I've attached a screenshot. View attachment 1602081

I'm guessing that's the phone app so things look a little different to what I'm used to but there's no tick in the delivered box and no tracking number shown so ebay will side with you even without reading the messages.

So, the good news is, the speakers turned up yesterday! The bad news is, the guy is still giving me grief.
I had a message on Monday morning from Ebay saying I had been issued a refund and it will take 3-5 business days to clear back into my account. This was followed by a message from the guy telling me his family run a firm of solicitors in Scotland, that a refund has been issued and that I'm not to take receipt of the speakers when they turn up. And also that if I defame him again I'll be getting a solicitors letter. Obviously at this point, I had no confidence that they would turn up and that I didn't have the money in my account so if they did turn up, I'd be taking the speakers. I also told him that without a tracking number I couldn't guarantee I'd be in so they'd probably go next door anyway. Well the speakers came, a bit of a knock to one of the corners but they work and are in generally good condition. I've had a couple more messages since saying right now the status is stolen etc. So now I've got the speakers and am in the middle of getting a refund. I obviously want the speakers and want to pay the agreed price but what if he doesn't accept my money? I've never been in a situation like this and originally thought he was trying to cover his back because he'd messed up somewhere. But, apart from the knock, the speakers are fine and he had actually sent them, albeit eventually. I just can't understand all the craziness?
Anyway, to finish. I think I'm going to keep the amp we have. We tried a couple of records last night and they sound really good. I don't actually think I'd be able to notice small changes of a better amp?
I just want to thank you all for your input. It was really appreciated and put to good use.

Sounds like a bit of a nightmare but I wouldn't be worried about this solicitors nonsense. As long as you are happy with the speakers and want to keep them, I would message ebay and tell them they have now arrived and let them deal with payment issues accordingly. Whatever you do, don't now pay him outside of ebay as if he somehow then proves to ebay that you now have the speakers, ebay could potentially take a second payment from you on top of anything you send him privately.

As far as the amp goes, I wouldn't be so sure the changes would be so small that you wouldn't notice. If you were to buy one of the Arcams that have been discussed and get it at the right price, there would be little or possibly no loss if you ended up selling it again. I would certainly give it a go then at least you won't be forever wondering if you're getting the best from these speakers that you've had so much trouble acquiring!

So, the good news is, the speakers turned up yesterday! The bad news is, the guy is still giving me grief.
I had a message on Monday morning from Ebay saying I had been issued a refund and it will take 3-5 business days to clear back into my account. This was followed by a message from the guy telling me his family run a firm of solicitors in Scotland, that a refund has been issued and that I'm not to take receipt of the speakers when they turn up. And also that if I defame him again I'll be getting a solicitors letter. Obviously at this point, I had no confidence that they would turn up and that I didn't have the money in my account so if they did turn up, I'd be taking the speakers. I also told him that without a tracking number I couldn't guarantee I'd be in so they'd probably go next door anyway. Well the speakers came, a bit of a knock to one of the corners but they work and are in generally good condition. I've had a couple more messages since saying right now the status is stolen etc. So now I've got the speakers and am in the middle of getting a refund. I obviously want the speakers and want to pay the agreed price but what if he doesn't accept my money? I've never been in a situation like this and originally thought he was trying to cover his back because he'd messed up somewhere. But, apart from the knock, the speakers are fine and he had actually sent them, albeit eventually. I just can't understand all the craziness?
Anyway, to finish. I think I'm going to keep the amp we have. We tried a couple of records last night and they sound really good. I don't actually think I'd be able to notice small changes of a better amp?
I just want to thank you all for your input. It was really appreciated and put to good use.
I would do everything through ebay and not communicate with the guy at all..

If you return the speakers to him privately, he might ask you to 'return' them again.. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom