I'm about 10 steps into the Vinyl minefield.

Often, yes, although perhaps not always. Some cartridges and/or improperly setup turntables can cause the stylus to mis-track (i.e. the stylus doesn't follow the record's grooves as intended). Sometimes the effect is sonically excruciating, other times it's more subtle. To some extent, detection of mis-tracking probably depends on the listener's experience with TT sources.

Turntables require more care in use and careful setting up compared to, say, a CD player. I see no mention of setting up the TT and cartridge in your posts so would urge you to work your way through a reputable T.T. setup guide. This could highlight problems you unwittingly have. For me, TT's are historic artifacts - I'm not into them anymore - but hopefully someone who is can suggest a suitable guide.
Hi. Thanks for the info. I had no idea there was any set up needed. I've literally just put it on table and plugged it into the amp.
It's not a traditional set up as such. The turntable is on a small table next to the TV and the amp is on the TV stand U der the TV.
I'll certainly have a look at a set up guide.

As I recall, the original are a little brighter sounding than the Freedoms and many preferred them. They will certainly go very well with the Alpha 10 but if you hate the look of it, the Arcam FMJ A22 is pretty much the same amp only in metal casework and came in silver rather than black. Better still is the A32 that replaced it which is a well loved amp but will command slightly higher prices. That model came in both sliver or black. Any of these would be a great partner for the 752's though.
Smashing. I'll have a look. Thanks.

Hi. Thanks for the info. I had no idea there was any set up needed. I've literally just put it on table and plugged it into the amp.
It's not a traditional set up as such. The turntable is on a small table next to the TV and the amp is on the TV stand U der the TV.
I'll certainly have a look at a set up guide.
Not sure what the cart is, but you may find that a replacement stylus is not too pricey. If so, I'd change it for a new one just to be sure.

Not sure what the cart is, but you may find that a replacement stylus is not too pricey. If so, I'd change it for a new one just to be sure.
I'm not sure either. There's no markings on it that I can see. Here's a couple of photos.
IMG_20211104_161845.jpg
IMG_20211104_161854.jpg

Oh, ta. I was just looking at that. It was the only one that looked anything like mine. Can you use any or does it have to be specific to your turntable? I'd have thought it would be a specific one.
Not sure about any but there's no doubt various options. Someone more into vinyl than will hopefully come along and expand on that for you.

A quick bit of googling suggests these might fit if you didn't want to change the entire cartridge. No idea if these are the best prices but it may help you. Do double check and perhaps email them rather than taking my word for it though!

That is a 'T4P' cartridge style mount. Most cartridges are fitted with two screws to the headshell (half inch mount) whereas a T4P has a single bolt at the rear of the cartridge to attach it to the arm. If you can't find the model of your existing cartridge to source a stylus you will almost certainly have to replace it. The stylus from a different make of cartridge probably won't fit yours. T4P cartridges however are a universal fit so any model should be ok for you.

Not sure about any but there's no doubt various options. Someone more into vinyl than will hopefully come along and expand on that for you.

A quick bit of googling suggests these might fit if you didn't want to change the entire cartridge. No idea if these are the best prices but it may help you. Do double check and perhaps email them rather than taking my word for it though!

Aw brilliant. Thanks for the links. I've bookmarked them. It might be worth getting one just to keep as a spare.

That is a 'T4P' cartridge style mount. Most cartridges are fitted with two screws to the headshell (half inch mount) whereas a T4P has a single bolt at the rear of the cartridge to attach it to the arm. If you can't find the model of your existing cartridge to source a stylus you will almost certainly have to replace it. The stylus from a different make of cartridge probably won't fit yours. T4P cartridges however are a universal fit so any model should be ok for you.
That's really useful. Thanks. I had no idea how much I don't know about turntables, speakers and amps!

That's really useful. Thanks. I had no idea how much I don't know about turntables, speakers and amps!
Useful forum, this. Turntables are a minefield.

I had a look at the manual and the stylus type (on it's own) is a JVC DT-45.

Hi,

Sorry, I'm a bit late to the conversation. I can see you've already been given plenty of helpful advice. I just wanted to say that, in my opinion, buying "vintage" HiFi is the minefield, not vinyl. Buying speakers, and particularly amps and turntables, more than 10 years old, which were probably budget items when they were first released, is never something I would recommend. Sure, if you bought a £10000 Linn system back in 1980, took good care of it, had it serviced, possibly parts replaced or upgraded along the way, then you're fine. Buying these kinds of units is probably fine too. But a budget unit from 40 years ago is likely not performing anywhere nearly as well as a new unit. To me, vinyl isn't a minefield. It can be a bit tricky, and expensive, but if you buy a decent budget amp (say a NAD C316bee v2 for £300), a budget turntable like a Project Primary E (£180) and some decent budget speakers like Wharfedale Diamond 12.1s (£250), with a bit of careful setup of the tonearm and tracking, you will have a great little vinyl setup. I would avoid buying more and more vintage items. That IS a minefield.

Good luck :)

Since the turntable is a linear tracker there shouldn’t be much set-up needed - good choice! If you‘re unsure of the progeny of the stylus it’s as well to stick a new one on there and if you can figure out how to change the belt then that’s worth doing but unless you can actually hear any speed instability issues I wouldn’t worry too much.

The single best thing you could do is put the TT on a wall shelf by the way.

Hi,

Sorry, I'm a bit late to the conversation. I can see you've already been given plenty of helpful advice. I just wanted to say that, in my opinion, buying "vintage" HiFi is the minefield, not vinyl. Buying speakers, and particularly amps and turntables, more than 10 years old, which were probably budget items when they were first released, is never something I would recommend. Sure, if you bought a £10000 Linn system back in 1980, took good care of it, had it serviced, possibly parts replaced or upgraded along the way, then you're fine. Buying these kinds of units is probably fine too. But a budget unit from 40 years ago is likely not performing anywhere nearly as well as a new unit. To me, vinyl isn't a minefield. It can be a bit tricky, and expensive, but if you buy a decent budget amp (say a NAD C316bee v2 for £300), a budget turntable like a Project Primary E (£180) and some decent budget speakers like Wharfedale Diamond 12.1s (£250), with a bit of careful setup of the tonearm and tracking, you will have a great little vinyl setup. I would avoid buying more and more vintage items. That IS a minefield.

Good luck :)

Agreed it can be a bit of a minefield and you are taking a gamble with every purchase but I've found it to be well worth it. I can't remember that last thing I bought new and have only had the odd minor setback with used gear. The 752's certainly weren't budget speakers and retailed at around 600 quid all those years ago. If they have been refurbished well and work as intended then I think you would be lucky to find anything better for 200 quid. In fact I'd go as far as saying if buying new, you would probably need to look upwards of 1k for a significant improvement.

Agreed it can be a bit of a minefield and you are taking a gamble with every purchase but I've found it to be well worth it. I can't remember that last thing I bought new and have only had the odd minor setback with used gear. The 752's certainly weren't budget speakers and retailed at around 600 quid all those years ago. If they have been refurbished well and work as intended then I think you would be lucky to find anything better for 200 quid. In fact I'd go as far as saying if buying new, you would probably need to look upwards of 1k for a significant improvement.
Thanks for the input. You've kind of hit on one the points I was asking about the amp. In terms of gains in performance, is there much difference in the amp I'm using and something like the Cyrus or Arcam etc that's been suggested? Or would I be spending more money for not much difference?

The speakers are hopefully getting delivered today so I'll let you all know how I get on. I've also ordered some banana plugs and "y" connectors.

Since the turntable is a linear tracker there shouldn’t be much set-up needed - good choice! If you‘re unsure of the progeny of the stylus it’s as well to stick a new one on there and if you can figure out how to change the belt then that’s worth doing but unless you can actually hear any speed instability issues I wouldn’t worry too much.

The single best thing you could do is put the TT on a wall shelf by the way.
Thanks. We really like the turntable, touch wood, we've not had any problems with it really. We love that it just one press of a button to get it playing as well.
I'll look at ordering a new belt and stylus today.
And we'd not thought about a shelf but we ended up talking about a full length shelf across the wall behind the TV to put the turntable and records on!
It's getting addictive! 😂

Thanks. We really like the turntable, touch wood, we've not had any problems with it really. We love that it just one press of a button to get it playing as well.
I'll look at ordering a new belt and stylus today.
And we'd not thought about a shelf but we ended up talking about a full length shelf across the wall behind the TV to put the turntable and records on!
It's getting addictive! 😂
Nice idea! It will make a difference. Vibration, even the most microscopic amount, is the enemy of turntables.

Thanks for the input. You've kind of hit on one the points I was asking about the amp. In terms of gains in performance, is there much difference in the amp I'm using and something like the Cyrus or Arcam etc that's been suggested? Or would I be spending more money for not much difference?

The speakers are hopefully getting delivered today so I'll let you all know how I get on. I've also ordered some banana plugs and "y" connectors.
I think a newer more powerful amp will make a substantial difference with those speakers. I’ve never tried a Cyrus amp so can’t comment, but I used to own an Arcam A32 (a descendent of the Alpha 10), and a long time ago I had an Alpha 8 driving Missions 733i speakers, so I can say with confidence that an Alpha 10 / A22 / A32 will drive those speakers really well.

Fully agree with DT79. I think any of those amps he has mentioned will bring very worth while improvements. I don't know much about your turntable but assuming it's up to the job then you would end up with a very nice sounding system that would cost a lot of money to beat if you popped into a hifi shop to buy a new replacement.

I didn't mention this earlier but I have a 'leftovers' system set up in a bedroom which includes the Alpha 10 and some Mission 753's which were the bigger brother to the 752's. It rarely gets used but when I do have a listen I'm always impressed by the sound, which is why I can't bring myself to sell it even though it's no longer needed. The sound is too good for the second hand value of the gear!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom