I'm about 10 steps into the Vinyl minefield.

ITFLmojo

Standard Member
Hi all. This is my first post, so here goes. My partner and I are fairly new to vinyl. We bought one of those cheap all in one record players that fold into a case but the sound was awful. We then bought a JVC L-E22 turntable followed by a Sony TA-V3 Amplifier and ST-V3L Tuner a week later. We hooked it up to our TVs soundbar but then bought some Technics SB-F44 speakers a few months later. We had no knowledge really of what we were buying, we just bought what we thought looked alright. Since then, we've been building up a small collection of vinyl and habe been really enjoying listening to them. Then, a few weeks ago, the amp started playing up in that it would only play out of one speaker every now and again. I'd bang the floor, and it would work again for a bit before going off so we bought a new amp. A JVC A-X2 Super A. I then started digging around into amps and speakers and opened up a whole can of worms! This prompted me to buy a pair of Mission 752 speakers which should hopefully turn up on Friday but now I'm wondering if the amp is up to the job?
The speakers have been the most expensive item we've bought at £200. There were cheaper ones but was local collection only and the ones we got had were immaculate and have been refurbished so I didn't mind paying a bit extra.
I was just after some opinions really on the kit we've got and if spending more money on a more expensive amp will get us much better sound quality than we've already got? I've been looking at the Mission Cyrus 1,2 and 3 as I figured it'd maybe be better to match the amp to the speakers?
So that's it. Thanks for reading.

Helix Hifi

Which amplifier did you have before? And what amplifier do you have now? Watts on the amplifier? Speaker specs? 4 ohm, 8 ohm. Sensitivity around 90 dB- 88 dB.

It should be in the specifications in the manual or online. Speaking of the old amplifier it seems to me the speaker cables were not securely connected to both the amplifier, speaker terminals.

Always use banana plugs, not bare wire. If not using banana plugs the copper we’ll start to oxidative over time. Also not using banana plugs is complicated because you need to twist the copper wires securely to the amplifier, speaker terminals.

Vinyl is not my forte, so can’t comment on that question. Still I believe I’ve read TT can act like this sometimes.

Helix Hifi

It seems those amplifiers from googling them are vintage amplifiers. The JVC appears to 40 watts, the Sony 25 watts. Not sure they we’ll accept banana plugs. It seems the JVC does.

Anyway regarding the sound only playing in one speaker probably can be the age of the amplifier.

The Mission 725 speakers from googling online appears to have sensitivity around 90 dB. 8 ohm also, An amplifier around 40 watts we’ll have no problems driving those speakers to loud volumes. But more watts are always better.

It’s just that I am not sure the vintage amplifier are up to the task, The component inside are not as good as modern amplifiers. Although you can get vintage amplifiers which can sound fantastic. But many need repairs on service shops. Cleaning dust. Perhaps checking if the transformer, caps, heat ventilation are still in working order. Any soldering etc.

I would surely change the amplifier to more modern amplifier. Rega Brio would be excellent.

I am sorry if don’t have the precise information regarding the amplifiers, speakers. But after a quick google check this is what I found. Others we’ll soon help also.

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
I've owned a couple of pairs of 752's in the past and really liked them. Did you get the Freedom or original model?

I know nothing about the JVC amp but a quick bit of googling and reading comments on other forums suggests it may not get the best out of the 752's but no harm in trying them together. If it were me and I wanted to buy something from the same time period as the 752's then I would go for an Arcam Alpha 10.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
The Cyrus amps of that age have a reputation of being quite a bright sound which may not suit Vinyl playback that well. @Timmy C suggestion of an Arcam 10 is pretty good and will provide a nice rounded sound, the alternative would be the A19 if you can stretch funds.

acgingersnaps

We then bought a JVC L-E22 turntable
Have you any knowledge of when the stylus and belt were last changed/how much wear they had? The stylus is especially important, as a worn one can damage your records.
Just a thought, and nothing to get too worried about as these things are generally straight forward to change.

Ascotbilly

Morning - A mate has the Mission 752’s in excellent condition and sound great He had them in storage when his kids were little ! He runs his on either an Arcam Alpha 7 which you can often pick up on eBay or a new Marantz PM6006.

A very good sound off both…

DT79

I think the arcam alpha 10 is a good call (with the built in phono stage, which was only an option when new I believe).

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
I think the arcam alpha 10 is a good call (with the built in phono stage, which was only an option when new I believe).

Yes it was optional, I should have pointed that out but they do come up on ebay on their own from time to time and are very simple to fit with no soldering involved.

ITFLmojo

Standard Member
Which amplifier did you have before? And what amplifier do you have now? Watts on the amplifier? Speaker specs? 4 ohm, 8 ohm. Sensitivity around 90 dB- 88 dB.
Hi. We were using the Sony TA-V3 until it started playing up. We ae now using the JVC. It has 40 per channel at 8ohms. Not sure about the sensitivity? This is what I pulled from a website but I'm not really sure what I should be looking at:
  • Type: 2 way, 2 driver loudspeaker system
  • Frequency Response: 40Hz to 20kHz
  • Recommended Amplifier: 35 to 150W
  • Impedance: 8 ohms
  • Sensitivity: 90dB
  • Bass: 1 x 170mm Aerogel paper
  • Tweeter: 1 x 26mm ferrofluid cooled
  • Enclosure: 28 litre, bass reflex
I'll definitely get some banana plugs or spade bits.

ITFLmojo

Standard Member
It seems those amplifiers from googling them are vintage amplifiers. The JVC appears to 40 watts, the Sony 25 watts. Not sure they we’ll accept banana plugs. It seems the JVC does.

Anyway regarding the sound only playing in one speaker probably can be the age of the amplifier.

The Mission 725 speakers from googling online appears to have sensitivity around 90 dB. 8 ohm also, An amplifier around 40 watts we’ll have no problems driving those speakers to loud volumes. But more watts are always better.

It’s just that I am not sure the vintage amplifier are up to the task, The component inside are not as good as modern amplifiers. Although you can get vintage amplifiers which can sound fantastic. But many need repairs on service shops. Cleaning dust. Perhaps checking if the transformer, caps, heat ventilation are still in working order. Any soldering etc.

I would surely change the amplifier to more modern amplifier. Rega Brio would be excellent.

I am sorry if don’t have the precise information regarding the amplifiers, speakers. But after a quick google check this is what I found. Others we’ll soon help also.
Hi. They are indeed vintage as we like the look of them and would very much like to keep in that era.
The amp doesn't accept banana plugs but they're screw down terminals so I assume they'll take spade type ends.

Ascotbilly

Don’t fall for the snake oil these are more than enough - Sorry posted at literally same time as your post above 🤦🏻

Amazon product

ITFLmojo

Standard Member
I've owned a couple of pairs of 752's in the past and really liked them. Did you get the Freedom or original model?

I know nothing about the JVC amp but a quick bit of googling and reading comments on other forums suggests it may not get the best out of the 752's but no harm in trying them together. If it were me and I wanted to buy something from the same time period as the 752's then I would go for an Arcam Alpha 10.
Hi. We got the original model. I'll have a look at the Arcam as well. Thanks.

Ascotbilly

Haha, well thanks anyway!! Any recommendations for spade connectors? I'm just trying to get through everyones replies!
No never used them but generally the Amazon basics are OK, Same for cables don’t go OTT Amazon again..

ITFLmojo

Standard Member
The Cyrus amps of that age have a reputation of being quite a bright sound which may not suit Vinyl playback that well. @Timmy C suggestion of an Arcam 10 is pretty good and will provide a nice rounded sound, the alternative would be the A19 if you can stretch funds.
Hi. Ah, that's a shame about the Cyrus. We only really play vinyl at home so we'd like to get it right.

ITFLmojo

Standard Member
Have you any knowledge of when the stylus and belt were last changed/how much wear they had? The stylus is especially important, as a worn one can damage your records.
Just a thought, and nothing to get too worried about as these things are generally straight forward to change.
Hi. No knowledge at all, I'm afraid. We got everything on ebay and I can't view the original listing anymore. I should maybe make a point of screen shotting info like that in the future. I know the new speakers are like new and been serviced etc.

Would it be obvious if a stylus was damaging your records?

ITFLmojo

Standard Member
Morning - A mate has the Mission 752’s in excellent condition and sound great He had them in storage when his kids were little ! He runs his on either an Arcam Alpha 7 which you can often pick up on eBay or a new Marantz PM6006.

A very good sound off both…
Hi. Thanks for that, I'll check them out.

ITFLmojo

Standard Member
Just want to thank you all for replying. I've got a bit more to think about now.
Ultimately, we want to just enjoy listening to our records as they should've been heard.
Thanks again for the info.

Ascotbilly

My apologies of course it is.

Did you spot that the text link (didn’t view as photo for some reason) is for speaker cable

dogfonos

Would it be obvious if a stylus was damaging your records?

Often, yes, although perhaps not always. Some cartridges and/or improperly setup turntables can cause the stylus to mis-track (i.e. the stylus doesn't follow the record's grooves as intended). Sometimes the effect is sonically excruciating, other times it's more subtle. To some extent, detection of mis-tracking probably depends on the listener's experience with TT sources.

Turntables require more care in use and careful setting up compared to, say, a CD player. I see no mention of setting up the TT and cartridge in your posts so would urge you to work your way through a reputable T.T. setup guide. This could highlight problems you unwittingly have. For me, TT's are historic artifacts - I'm not into them anymore - but hopefully someone who is can suggest a suitable guide.

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
Hi. We got the original model. I'll have a look at the Arcam as well. Thanks.
As I recall, the original are a little brighter sounding than the Freedoms and many preferred them. They will certainly go very well with the Alpha 10 but if you hate the look of it, the Arcam FMJ A22 is pretty much the same amp only in metal casework and came in silver rather than black. Better still is the A32 that replaced it which is a well loved amp but will command slightly higher prices. That model came in both sliver or black. Any of these would be a great partner for the 752's though.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

BBC licence fee to be scrapped in 2027
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for February 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
iFi Audio launches ZEN One Signature DAC
  • By Andy Bassett