• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

I'm a Fifa gamer - should I get plasma or LCD?

dupfold

Hello

I'll soon be getting an Xbox 360 and therefore looking to replace my Sony KP-44 PX2 and purchase a HD Ready large screen tv.

At first I started to look at LCD's as I've seen the amazing quality pics these can produce, that was of course until I saw the price tags! I then started to look futher a field, mainly at the plasma screens. I've been put off of these in the past as I've heard a few horror storys with regards to screen burn, breaking down etc etc (althought this was a few years back with lesser techno).

I was very happy to see that a number of recent plasmas withing my price range having been getting rave reviews by mags and forums like this, but I have a few questions.

Q1. I will mainly be using the tv to watch films and such (haven't got sky) but sometimes I have my gaming moments and therefore worried about screen burn. Maybe three times a week I play Fifa for around 5 hours per play and wondering if there is a possibility of screen burn?

Q2. Today I went and viewed a number of tv's on my short list at curries, what a waste of time, I could get a better picture on my mobile! Although there were three philips tv's (2 LCD and 1 plasma) all of simular size setup using a HD source and the LCD's quality was so much sharper, however this still could be down to the curries cowboys. Can plama's produce images as sharpe as LCD's?

Q3. My Short list, I have picked one already but what would you go for?

TV – LCD Ratings Price Pros Cons

Philips 42PF9986 5/5 £1999 LCD No Digital & smaller screen

3LCD

Sony Bravia KDF-E50A12U 4/5 £858 Digital Pic not greatest

Plasma’s

Pioneer PDP-436SXE 4.5/5 £1788 Digital Sound not great / res only 1024x768

LG 50PX4D 4/5 £1950 Digital Pic bit flickery at times

hutch

Distinguished Member
I'm in the same boat as you and after some pretty extensive research i'm saving my pennies for the Fujitsu 42" 58 series.

Wouldnt go near a Pioneer with a console they seem to have a nightmare with screen burn.

Panasonic screens are supposedly very resistant as well :)

andyr300

with lots of gaming,you will have lots of static images. eg the score in FIFA games,so i would personally go for an LCD to avoid any screen burn/retention

jonspurs

I've a Hitachi 42PD9700. Brother plays PES5 all the time, with the clock, map and scores, and there is no screen rentention or burn or anything.

Even when I first set it up, 99% of Sky channels had a logo. With reduced brightness and contrast, I didn't notice any problems when watching an hour or so.

Pio's tend to suffer from burn in though...just look at all the threads...or they just might be the initial pre-Feb batch or something.

Jon

Dave

Distinguished Member
I have a panny PW7 and play Halo for hours on end and have since running it in.

No sign of screen burn at all. It's never even retained an image and Halo has the nice white hud on the screen all the time.

Depends on how careful you want to be I suppose. If you don't mind taking care for the first few hundred hours, then go for a plasma. On the other hand if you can't be bothered with the mamby pamby running in period, go for LCD.

Piers

Get the right plasma and screen burn shouldn't be a worry. Technology has moved on. Fuji 58 series if you can afford it or Panasonic PHD8 (about to be 9) would be my choices.

dupfold

thanks all. I don't mind breaking the tv in for a few hundred hours if this will help prevent screen burn.

Piers - Can't find a Panasonic PHD8, whats the full model number please?

Piers & hutch - Fujitsu 42" 58 series, very nice looking TV's but I'm after at least 1366x768 res.

I'm very keen on the LG 50PX4D as it has everything I'm after at the right price, just need to hear from actual owners now and see how they get on with their gaming on this beast.

Anyone got any thoughts on question 3 please?

dupfold

generally (in pc gaming at least) higher res, sharper imagine so I'm guessing it would be the same for TV (source permitting of course) of have I got that wrong?

spacebrodie

hi dupfold

Seriously consider the Hitachi 42P9700. Its 1024 x 1080i so when u set your 360 to 1080i it look AMAZING. Also, no screen burn issues at all (not yet anyway and i have put many gaming hours in). I cant express how utterly fantastic the 9700 and the 360 are together. Ive been playing alot of FIFA World Cup on it and it looks FAB. Burnout ROX!

Shop around and you can pick up the set for £1600 and some places with a 4 year warranty....

All the best!

Andy

dupfold

ace_brodie said:
hi dupfold

Seriously consider the Hitachi 42P9700. Its 1024 x 1080i so when u set your 360 to 1080i it look AMAZING.

Andy

God dam it!! Another tv added to the shortl list (aka long list) :D

Just been having a read and it does sound great with everything I need. The LG 50PX4D was swaying it for me as I always thought higher res meant sharper image but I'm slowing learning about scaling. The 42P9700 with its 1024 x 1080i would seem ideal but then why would any tv's have a 1366x768 res if everything is going to be scaled? :suicide:

hutch

Distinguished Member
dupfold said:
generally (in pc gaming at least) higher res, sharper imagine so I'm guessing it would be the same for TV (source permitting of course) of have I got that wrong?
Thats wrong as far as I know, processing is everything with Plasma and LCD and the Fuji 58 has the best processing on the market at this moment :)

Scuttlerx

Hi Dupfold,

Ive got the px60 and am always playing the xbox on it with no problems at all, its mainly FPS games so there is always a logo on screen.

I was careful for the first 200 hours but now dont even think about it.

So, can highly recommend the px60 to be thrown in the pot, and with hindsight I would have gone for the panel version (PHD8) so that would be worth a look too.

Inked

Distinguished Member
Scuttlerx said:
Hi Dupfold,

Ive got the px60 and am always playing the xbox on it with no problems at all, its mainly FPS games so there is always a logo on screen.

I was careful for the first 200 hours but now dont even think about it.

So, can highly recommend the px60 to be thrown in the pot, and with hindsight I would have gone for the panel version (PHD8) so that would be worth a look too.

I agree wholeheartedly, I've had the Panasonic 37pv500, 42pv500 and now the 42px60 and all have looked fantastic with the Xbox 360. (Despite their relatively low resolutions compared to LCD):thumbsup:

radionx

Mate buy the Panasonic 42px60.

I played call of duty 2 from the min i got the t.v. i've got no screen burn and the pictures look amazing.

You will be very happy with the way FIFA looks if you buy this.

chaparral

Am always playing my xbox360 on my pioneer 436xde for hours at a time with no problems..

Here a pic of PGR3 on my pioneer 436xde.
DSC00046.jpg

jonspurs

chaparral, I see you've got the Logitech system - but with a plasma, do you notice any sync issues with audio and video? As in, audio is heard a few split seconds before video? Or does the Xbox 360 have an optical output delay setting?

Cheers,
Jon

chaparral

jonspurs said:
chaparral, I see you've got the Logitech system - but with a plasma, do you notice any sync issues with audio and video? As in, audio is heard a few split seconds before video? Or does the Xbox 360 have an optical output delay setting?

Cheers,
Jon

Hi Jon

I not noticed any audio sync issues yet with my z-5500 speaker setup they just have a bad popping sound every now and again which drives me nuts...

I use my z-5500 for my main Plasma speakers for watching movies,TV etc and for my gaming PC plus my xbox360..

Am hoping to get a pioneer AV amp with a Kef 3005 speaker setup when my funds allow,,which i don't think is going be for quiet a few months now (just had to fork out for a new car two weeks ago:( ).

spacebrodie

dupfold said:
God dam it!! Another tv added to the shortl list (aka long list) :D

Just been having a read and it does sound great with everything I need. The LG 50PX4D was swaying it for me as I always thought higher res meant sharper image but I'm slowing learning about scaling. The 42P9700 with its 1024 x 1080i would seem ideal but then why would any tv's have a 1366x768 res if everything is going to be scaled? :suicide:

So i see you went for the hitachi....?

Andy

spacebrodie

dupfold said:
ohhhhh yeah! Can't wait! If I love it as half as much as you love yours I'll be a happy chappy! :smashin:

And for the fact you are paying £400 less than i paid you should love it more!!! - BTW, was this with the 4 year warranty from Hitachi?

Andy

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom