I'm a charity shop volunteer and I've got a disciplinary against me

Foebane72

Prominent Member
Reaction score
How does that even work?

On Wednesday, a fellow volunteer bought a box of potato chips and offered some to me as there were too many for her. I had some and then left the box on the table, then offered them to some other volunteers later on still.

The next time I come in on Friday, I find a disciplinary opened against me by the shop manager (I saw the form) over what appears to be the chip incident, and how I apparently said some inappropriate things to the offerees! I was asked by the assistant manager to give my side of the story, and I did - that I was just offering chips. They were cold at the time, I figured it was a Heath & Safety thing, that I was offering mouldy chips, even though I never SAID the word.

***?? Isn't this all rather petty?

The point is it doesn't matter, I stressed about it last night and this morning and went down to the shop when the manager was in, but he was not prepared to discuss it on a busy Saturday. So now I have to fret all weekend over it until he talks it over with me then.

The volunteer group at this particular shop have been dominated by this family from East London for the last few months, and this is the second time they have made a complaint against me over something they misunderstood from my actions.

I've been told that charity shops are a racket in any case, and that it doesn't help that the manager was once in retail in a computer store, and whose wife is in politics (Tory, I think).

But a DISCIPLINARY against a CHARITY SHOP VOLUNTEER??

I used to love going to that shop back in the day, but in the last six months or so it has just become bad. I think I should just hand in my notice-- err. just leave once I hear the story about why this has happened.

It's apparently company policy at the moment, and the new area manager is really doing things by the book, but this is (I think) ridiculous.

What do you all think about this?

Hi,

I keep thinking that nothing surprises me anymore but it seems that almost daily, I am proven wrong these days!

My advice is stand your ground, make detailed notes of everything & hand them into Head Office so it is recorded - you do not want this to act against you should you decide to volunteer again to places who will appreciate your efforts!

Suave!

Why would you want to work in a place like that? (friend of mine worked in charity shop and pretty much manager picking up and moaning about something every day)

I'd just ignore it tbh. And perhaps yawn when they give it to you.

WHAT?!?!?! I'm sorry but I can't stop laughing at the whole situation you've found yourself in. Did you make some kind of sexual innuendo about chips or something (although I'm struggling to think of one right now).

Do you really live working, sorry volunteering there so much that you're actually worrying about this?

Personally I think you should tell them where to stick their chips and go and volunteer somewhere that will appreciate you giving up your spare time for a worthy cause!

Why would you want to work in a place like that? (friend of mine worked in charity shop and pretty much manager picking up and moaning about something every day)

I'd just ignore it tbh. And perhaps yawn when they give it to you.

Because not everybody has an issue with authority like you. At least he is out and about volunteering and doing something!

Because not everybody has an issue with authority like you. At least he is out and about volunteering and doing something!

ROFL. I guess if a charity volunteer is 30 seconds late, it's ok for manager to ring him on his mobile and scream where the bloody hell are you? you're late! (that wasn't my experience was mates, I wouldn't take it and neither did he)

I bet you wouldn't take any of that crap, but want others to? LOL

But then maybe I have a flipping backbone unlike some people around here. Maybe you like that sort of thing.

This is almost like 'Groundhog day' with you!:facepalm:

Gotta put down the idiots. Man I bet they think manager asks me polietly to do something and I flip out. Guess must make them feel better someone who was on long term unemployed is incapable eh? :rolleyes:

Are you serious?

What a pity to read about such a garbage situation, and concerning a charity shop worker at a charity shop too.

First off, strip all the mysticism out of this situation and then just deal with the reality.

1. You are a volunteer, for goodness' sake!

2. What a nasty bunch of people are in charge of this place. Obviously!

3. The reality is that you are an altruistic person and like to charitably give of your time.

4. Also, another reality is that this charity shop and those in charge of it are not allowing you to enjoy the experience of spending your time there on the charity's behalf (* see below).

My conclusion: It's time to move on.

My recommendation: Dump them and their shop and if you really want to do this kind of time occupying pursuit, move to a different charity shop.

How? Well, those in charge are not considering your feelings one little tiny bit. They are utterly non-deservant of you considering theirs. So...don't even hand in your notice. Just leave.

If any of your 'friends/work colleagues bother to get in touch with you after you've left, then explain yourself to them in a bit more detail. However, your decison on this is absolutely nothing to do with them, IMHO, so there's no need to discuss it with them beforehand. Besides, your issues are to do with those in charge.

* Not a lot of people realise that there are phenominal tax advantages for both the charities themselves and particularly those involved in working for charities at the highest level. The remuneration and expenses can be quite considerable.

Get real. Relative to what I've just told you, you are at the bottom of the pile with this particular charity and their treatment of your voluntary time and effort is so blatantly utterly obnoxious.

It's not wrong to involve one's self in charitable works but charity shops can often be an abomination to the high street, particularly as they are often staffed with those who are happy to work for no pay.

Last edited:
To the OP, leave and go into another charity shop. You get a few managers in charity shops who are in a power trip (one in town I live) Generally it's pretty relaxed environment but you get an occasional ****.

I might be lacking balls, but when I came in today I initially said I was working (not one of my usual days, just wanted to talk to the manager really), but then I changed my mind and told the manager WHY, in front of some of the volunteers - that I was stressed due to the disciplinary.

Some of the volunteers (who have been there since I started) are perfectly innocent in this, but I suspect this new family.

Ironically, I remember the previous week when the area manager came in and talked to the assistant manager about "stress being bad in the workplace"!! Maybe I should bring this up in front of him.

I think I may go in on Monday, find out what the supposed bad thing I did was and then leave... after I claim my bus fare. :rolleyes:

ROFL. I guess if a charity volunteer is 30 seconds late, it's ok for manager to ring him on his mobile and scream where the bloody hell are you? you're late! (that wasn't my experience was mates, I wouldn't take it and neither did he)

I bet you wouldn't take any of that crap, but want others to? LOL

But then maybe I have a flipping backbone unlike some people around here. Maybe you like that sort of thing.

Its only you that seems to have all these issues. I've not seen anyone else on the forum complain as much as you. Maybe aside from Kevykat.

I mean this aside from the OPs issue. You make it out to sound like volunteering in a charity shop is a bad thing. Lets hope he doesn't start working in a supermarket next!

Suprised no one has said it yet , has the manager got a chip on his shoulder ?:laugh:

I would move on .

Julian

Gotta put down the idiots. Man I bet they think manager asks me polietly to do something and I flip out. Guess must make them feel better someone who was on long term unemployed is incapable eh? :rolleyes:

What are you rattling on about?:confused:

Its only you that seems to have all these issues. I've not seen anyone else on the forum complain as much as you. Maybe aside from Kevykat.

I mean this aside from the OPs issue. You make it out to sound like volunteering in a charity shop is a bad thing. Lets hope he doesn't start working in a supermarket next!

Tell you what why don't you tell the OP to stop moaning and accept his disciplinary? Because crap like the OP is similar to what I've experienced, petty bitching and moaning from higher ups. :rolleyes:

Sounds to me like just harassing you to get you to move on (similar experience myself although yhey harassed many others there too)

You seem to get nothing but hassle working there, I think you are right, it is time to move on :thumbsup:

Why don't you just not go back and if they contact you tell them to stick there VOLUNTEER job up there arse.

Hand in your notice ?, Disciplinary action ? why there not paying you.

What can they do? You're volunteering, they could give you a thousand disciplinaries it'd make not one jot of difference, the worst they could do is ask you to stop helping them.

Either ignore it or move on, based on how much you like spending your time there.

I'm assuming there is no other reason you're there except you want to be.

Yeah time to move on. Age Concern (Help the Aged) and other charities involved with the elderly are crying out for volunteers.

It's very rewarding and you should find loads of work in your local area.

Do a turd in a shoe then report the manager for health and safety violations.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom