Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

I'm 10years out of date, help.

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by jimbowley, Oct 30, 2004.

1. jimbowley

jimbowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll tell you what I'm planning and then maybe someone could suggest a better way. I'll be buying a new Amp & speakers.

For reasons of style I favour small units for L,R,centre so I can mount them in a strip below the screen. So I'm thinking I'll buy a 'home cinema package' of subwoofer plus 5 speakers. I am assuming the main stereo is fed to the subwoofer, which has a matched cross-over to send the higher frequencies to the satellite speakers.

Then I'll add an active subwoofer for the .1 channel.

I'm thinking of low wide unit to house my gear, and 2 subs would fit into it fine, but would they shake my dvd player off its shelf? and do they need to be in open space? or do you get 'forward-firing' ones?

Like I say, this is based on my understanding from 10years ago when Bose? first brought out the sub+satellites idea.

2. dj_johnnyg

dj_johnnyg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I curently have a Bose Acoustimass 10 system hooked up to my sony STR-DB930. This is ideal for me, and the small speakers fit nicely round my new Pio 435 screen.

The Sub is fairly good as it is for the .1 channel, but I wish I had gone for the 15 set-up with the powered sub,for that extra bit of oomph!

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    All you need to do is to buy the 5 satellites plus the active subwoofer. The speakers will connect directly to the amp and the subwoofer will also be connected to the single phono sub outlet on the amp.

The bass management facilities within the amp will direct all high frequencies to the satellites and all of the low notes plus the dedicated LFE channel to the subwoofer

4. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would suggest that for the similar sort of price range that you pay for the Bose speaker packages, go for something like the M&K K5 speaker package and the quality would be superb and alot better than the Bose, they are also very small and discrete so would suite your application.

John :)