1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iLink

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jonesthegas, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Jonesthegas

Jonesthegas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Can someone please tell me if the above digital output improves sound from music sources only or does it also improve the DD/DTS soundtracks of movies?

While I'm on the subject, is there a DVD player that has all of the following?

1) iLink output
    2) SDI output
    3) CUE free MPEG decoder (if that is possible)

If so, where could I get it from?

Cheers

Martin

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It does not necessarily improve sound, mainly it makes cabling easier (one i-link cable instead of 6x RCA/phono leads).

Sound quality does depend on the DAC (digital-to-analog converter) in the source, i.e. DVD player and how it compares to the DAC in the AV amp/receiver.
    If it's better than the AV amp/receiver's you may get better sound - but note that most AV amps/receiver convert the analog input to digital first and then back to analog (so there would be 3 conversions in total!). Depends on make and model though.

3. emad

emad
    Banned for trading fraud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reiner,

If I now have a DVD connected to my Plasma as follows

Component cable carrying video signal from my DVD to my AX5i Amp then component from my Ax5i amp to my plasma

Optical cable carrying my audio signal to my Ax5i Amp

Bearing in mind my Ax5i amp has i-Link, how is it that by buying an i-Link DVD player (such as Pioneer 757) will make cabling easier.

I was under the impression that i-link should be a jutter fre superior sound!!

Enlighten me please

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    iLink is not specifically designed to simplify DD/DTS sound connections as they are carried by a single optical or coax lead. Where it does simplify cabling is for SACD and DVD-A as these can only normally be transfered to an amp/receiver via 6 phono leads, but in this case they are replaced by a single iLink cable.

Mark.

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    MarkE19 said it all, it's not about improving sound but transferring high-bandwidth audio signals like DVD-A/SACD, they cannot be carried on a normal (SPDIF) digital connection.
    Of course you could use i-link instead of your optical connection to simplify cabling (given you actually want DVD-A and/or SACD), but don't expect a huge improvement for DD/DTS or CD-Audio.