Ikea & Hue Help

StormHD

Hi, I've got a bit of a problem...

...I think I've killed my hue hub. I accidentally hooked it up to a PoE port rather than a normal network port. Now the Network light just flashes and I can't get it to connect to my network. It still works enough to allow all of the hue switches / sensors etc to talk to the bulbs - looks like it's just the network port that's fried.

It looks like my only option is to replace it. This is where my headache begins...

In the kitchen I've a mixture of Hue lightstrips, Ikea Tradfri GU10 bulbs, hue lightswitches and hue motion sensors (it's not the only room with a mix of these lights, but it's a good example).

If I replace the hub, I've got to add all of the lights again. Adding Ikea to Hue (particularly GU10s for some reason) isn't fun. In fact, I've not been able to manage it at all with the latest Ikea bulbs. I really can't face it again with the 12 GU10s in the kitchen and the countless other Ikea bulbs in the house.

I'm wondering if it's possible to connect my Ikea bulbs to my Ikea hub instead, but have them triggered/controlled by the Hue Switch / Hue Motion Sensor? I really don't care which hub they connect to, but I'm keen to avoid a situation where I need one set of switches for the lightstrips and another for the bulbs.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Fabien

Plugging your Hue into a PoE network port will not damage it as PoE requirement is part of the handshake.

You may need to default your hub and reconfigure if you are seeing issues

Fabien

StormHD

Ah ok - but in which case I'm still likely to be in the same situation (less having to buy a new hub of course) - in that I'll have to re-add all the lights again?

Fabien

Assumption is that you don’t have any special network setup such as VLANs or NAC that would inhibit the Hue making a connection to the Network / Internet.

Depending on your network skills you may want to see if it appears in the ARP table of a computer on the same subnet?

Unfortunately I don’t have any IKEA kit so unable to help. But I am sure others on here can.

Can I also assume you have powered it down, left for 30 secs and powered back up? As it should renegotiate its network having been rebooted.

Fabien

StormHD

So I've got it working... I plugged it directly into one of the Unifi In Wall APs I've got and it connected straight away. I've no idea why did didn't when I tried it in multiple other switches, with different cables, but it seems to be sorted.

I still can't get Ikea lights added though, which is a real pain as I've two dead GU10s that I'm trying to replace.

I've done the usual, reset the bulbs (flicked on and off 6 times until they blink), tried adding in the hue app, tried adding with the Hue Lights "Touchlink" app with the bulb on top of the bridge. I've tried the bulb in a small bulb holder, and directly in the light socket. Nothing works.

Whilst I've saved a small fortune using Ikea GU10s instead of Hue ones... It continues to be a headache!

StormHD

Now sorted - the newer Ikea bulbs joined ok - problem seemed to be restricted to the two older versions I had.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED First Thoughts + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 Review, TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom