Ikea Blackout Blinds

HDPete

Established Member
Reaction score
Whilst at the annual Ikea visit last week, I noticed that they are now selling Blackout blinds in widths up to 2m. The product name escapes me now, but they were rediculously cheap, were in various widths, various colours and promised to black out 100% of light.

My viewing is on a projector in the lounge to keep a reasonable balance of WAF. However, even SWMBO has suggested making it a little darker for daytime HD viewing and she was impressed with the Ikea ones. :smashin:

Before comitting to buying them though, I'd thought I'd poll peoples opinions of them here - good or bad - has anyone any experience that they'd like to share?

Many thanks in advance.
Pete

I know which ones you're talking about, I mounted one behind a wooden blind so that when rolled up you can't see the roller blind behind the wood mechanism. When rolled down it provides a very good amount of light blocking. Not 100%, there's some light bleeding in at the sides where I guess it could be down to how i've fitted it, but they're very good considering I paid around 15 pounds for it.

Thanks very much - good to hear. What colour did you go for?

I went for white, I use it to block out glaring sun in the mornings where both wooden blinds and curtains together didn't do the trick. So when I use it its night and I cant say i notice the colour and during the day its rolled up so you can't see it at all. Saying that when I bought it, they only had white or a dark blue that wouldn't go. Considering the costs of similar blinds, don't think you can go wrong by trying it.

Thanks both!!

I don't suppose that you remember the scandinavian name of the blinds so I can look them up on the web site and check stock levels do you...?

Moved to furniture etc :cool:

Your choice of forum location is interesting....

Black out blinds are neither Stands, Cabinets, Seating or Furniture. The original location of DIY was more appropriate.
:thumbsdow

I used one of these as a projector screen for a projector i had but had to sell:( seemed ok to me but was only a cheap projector.

Your choice of forum location is interesting....

Black out blinds are neither Stands, Cabinets, Seating or Furniture. The original location of DIY was more appropriate.
:thumbsdow
Why, are you planning on making them :confused:

They are called 'Tupplar' or 'Tupplur'.

I used one as a temporary screen and it worked brilliantly. I now use one to block out a patio window and it works flawlessly.

I picked up a blackout blind from Argos... Ikea is miles and miles and miles away, and as such I'm not in their delivery area.

This is the blind I got...
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1201602.htm

It blocks 100% of sunlight through the blind itself, but allows some to come in down the edges.

I mounted it behind a venetian blind, so when its rolled up, you can even see it.

I've had 2 of these Ikea ones for about 2 years, IIRC.

They're both 1.8m wide, and block out an awful lot of light, but there is one problem with them - over that width they sag slightly in the middle. Not a big problem, but over time it causes slight creasing in the centre. They were fine for a few months, but steadily the creasing caused damage to the coating as it was rolled up & down. This leaves small pin-pricks of light in a line down the centre. These have slowly got worse & worse. I've taken a picture to illustrate the problem.

HTH

BTW - ignore the holes along the bottom edge - those were caused by the cat!

Attachments

• Blind1.jpg
    Blind1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 5,252
I'm thinking of getting a couple of these for our bedroom window as the light is spoiling the picture on our LCD TV now its wall mounted. Does anyone know if they can be cut to size?

If you click that Argos link it says they are easily trimmed to size.

Thanks. Just checked and the argos ones don't come in the right sizes as I've got a window thats 2.7m wide. So I'm looking at a 2m + an 80cm one from ikea. I've priced a custom made 2.7m blind at about £60 but would actually prefer 2 blinds as the small one will cover the part of the window that opens which is convenient.

Anyone know if the ikea one can be trimed?

Thanks. Just checked and the argos ones don't come in the right sizes as I've got a window thats 2.7m wide. So I'm looking at a 2m + an 80cm one from ikea. I've priced a custom made 2.7m blind at about £60 but would actually prefer 2 blinds as the small one will cover the part of the window that opens which is convenient.

Anyone know if the ikea one can be trimed?

We just got 2 of these blinds at the weekend from ikea, and although not fitted yet, i have just been browsing the instructions and yes they can be trimmed to size:smashin: !

hi, i am looking for a black out blind for my home cinema room. the blind need to be able to black out day light and street light but after few search i have notice that there is lots of love for the ikea tupplur blackout blind. the question is : are these blinds really good ?. In this same thread i have notice that some 1 bought a blind from argos but is it any good. the last thing is that the colour of my cinema room is white mist so can people recommend what blackout blind colour will match the white mist colour of my room.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom