Ikea Besta advice please

Jason56d

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My builders are arriving on Monday to remove my chimney breast and replace it with a floating wall.

Was looking to get a Besta TV bench and hang it under the floater. This one specifically:

Black-brown/selsviken high-gloss/black smoked glass 180x40x48 cm

Just spent 20 minutes waiting to speak to a human after 53 automated options and still hit a brick wall.

You cannot order it online and none of the 4 nearest stores (within an hour or so drive, Wembley, Edmonton, Lakeside or Milton Keynes). Have any in stock and haven't had for a while? Edmonton will never be getting any as they are not a big enough store! The other 3 "might" get some from the 7th Feb, but no guarantee? I don't want to wait that long and then, still not get one.

Even the other variations of the Black/brown with drawer in middle and glass doors are the same?

So, can any Besta experts advise if there is a way to get what I want using combinations of the smaller sections? This is damn frustrating as I am trying to spend £200+ with them and they don't want my money?

Sorry, rant over.....

Last edited:
Been bugging me since I posted, so thought I would see if I could get the parts separately and I can!

The main 180cm unit, 2 smoked glass doors with hinges, a glass shelf in middle section instead of a drawer and 3 suspension rails. Price......?

£160!!! And can be ordered online and delivered on the 18th! That's £75 cheaper than buying it as a package!?! That you cannot get online, or any of my nearest stores! Lol!

Looks like you're all sorted then. I found that it took quite a bit of searching for what I wanted (and Ikea have a lot of pages of 'Besta' products if you just put that in their search).

I don't know if you're interested, but they do a nice glass top for the 180cm units in either frosted white or gloss black. It helps to hide the individual units and make it look more like one. My Besta build is still a work in progress as I'll be adding floating Oak shelf and a glass shelf 'bridge' between the Besta and the Oak, but for £180 or so I'm pleased with the results so far...it took me back about 18 years too as a house I bought then was mostly furnished with Ikea flat pack units. :)

Some photos from Christmas. I have a 1x12 guitar cabinet behind the screen, hence the small Marshall valve amp in the middle cupboard.

Besta closed.jpg
Besta open.jpg

Looks like you're all sorted then. I found that it took quite a bit of searching for what I wanted (and Ikea have a lot of pages of 'Besta' products if you just put that in their search).

I don't know if you're interested, but they do a nice glass top for the 180cm units in either frosted white or gloss black. It helps to hide the individual units and make it look more like one. My Besta build is still a work in progress as I'll be adding floating Oak shelf and a glass shelf 'bridge' between the Besta and the Oak, but for £180 or so I'm pleased with the results so far...it took me back about 18 years too as a house I bought then was mostly furnished with Ikea flat pack units. :)

Some photos from Christmas. I have a 1x12 guitar cabinet behind the screen, hence the small Marshall valve amp in the middle cupboard.

View attachment 811112 View attachment 811113

Thanks. Even individually, you can get a 180cm unit. I did look at the glass top and it maybe something I add later?

Now to get it ordered.

I can't remember the reasoning now, but I think the 180cm unit was different to three 60cm units in some way (perhaps a slot for TV cables which I wouldn't need?). Of course the glass top is just placed on top, so as you say easy enough to add later. I nearly went for the black one, but I think the white looks better in my room. I'll try to remember to post back once I've finished because it might explain why it looks offset right now. :)

Good luck with the project. :thumbsup:

hi

i am trying to find some new shelving/tv stand for my lounge. is the besta stuff good quality and are the shelf spacing good enough for a AV amp, specifically denon avr2113 to fit on comfortably or are the shelves only big enough for a normal sized dvd player?

I have a little bit of BESTA...

The 180cm all-in-one unit has a cutout at the back top which allows you to get big cables into the unit. There is a little plastic and rubber cover that sits in it. The back board for the unit also has cutouts placed around the uprights which allow you to thread cables from one 60cm section into the next.

There are two different 180cm wide glass tops - one with the matching cutout for the 180cm unit, one without to span 3x60cm units. You need to make sure you get the right one otherwise it looks odd. The glass top is really nice quality for the money - the white / black coating seems really durably applied, and the glass is nicely finished.

Individual 60cm units look OK joined together but it does look a little gappy, the 180cm unit is nicer.

The vertical shelf spacings are whatever you want - you put the pegs in the height you want.

The whole carcass is less than 40cm deep, and the back board of the carcass is a bit in from that. You only get 37cm or so from the front edge of the carcass to the back board, which limits AV receiver choice. With the back on and a door the Denon receiver will fit, but tight for cables. If you're not putting a door on it and don't mind the unit being a little proud of the carcass it should be fine.

I've taken the back off my TV unit which houses my AV receiver, which gives more room for cables and allows it to vent a bit better. That gets me about 40-41cm between the front of the carcass and the wall. If you're going to be running a Denon receiver (not the coolest running in the world) I'd recommend doing the same. I have an advantage in that the TV unit is bolted to other units at each side, so that gives it rigidity of which a little is lost by taking the back out.

DSC_2524.JPG

Been bugging me since I posted, so thought I would see if I could get the parts separately and I can!

The main 180cm unit, 2 smoked glass doors with hinges, a glass shelf in middle section instead of a drawer and 3 suspension rails. Price......?

£160!!! And can be ordered online and delivered on the 18th! That's £75 cheaper than buying it as a package!?! That you cannot get online, or any of my nearest stores! Lol!

Hi there! Absolutely love your set up and inspired me to do something similar.

I'm currently planning my own floating wall, and am very interested in buying a unit like the one you have. Can you just clarify if you bought the unit, doors and glass shelf separately on Ikea's site or did you find another supplier? Sorry if this is obvious but I'm struggling to find either a single unit or separate parts.

Appreciate any help you can provide.

Hi there! Absolutely love your set up and inspired me to do something similar.

I'm currently planning my own floating wall, and am very interested in buying a unit like the one you have. Can you just clarify if you bought the unit, doors and glass shelf separately on Ikea's site or did you find another supplier? Sorry if this is obvious but I'm struggling to find either a single unit or separate parts.

Appreciate any help you can provide.

Yes I did buy it all separately at Ikea. It's mad that you can get the individual sections cheaper than buying as one unit?

Still haven't decided on wallpaper for my floating wall. We are a nightmare!! To date we have had 22 different samples pegged up! The one in the top right corner is currently our favourite. But we got new curtains from Hillarys, and they mucked up the making and fitting of them. Hey are coming back Monday to let us pick new ones as these are so poor quality and badly made. So we may go for more colour which will open up options for the wallpaper?

IMG_4744.JPG

I think the economy of scale kicks in. They sell many more of the small units than the wide unit.

The only difference in cost should be in the carcass cost as the doors etc cost the same regardless. 180cm wide 38cm tall carcass costs £55, the individual 60cm wide carcasses are £15 each (so £45 total). If you get a more significantly different price than that it will probably be because the package cost includes parts you didn't want (like legs and rear support brackets). You can expand the package on the website and it shows you the part numbers included.

The wide carcasses can be bought without a package here:
64cm tall:
BESTÅ TV bench Black-brown 180x40x64 cm - IKEA
38cm tall:
BESTÅ TV bench Black-brown 180x40x38 cm - IKEA

The all in one wide unit has a couple of features which are nice / useful (cable management between the sections and through the top surface / back section) and it does look a little better than the individual units as you have a continuous top surface / no joins between units.

Yes I did buy it all separately at Ikea. It's mad that you can get the individual sections cheaper than buying as one unit?

Still haven't decided on wallpaper for my floating wall. We are a nightmare!! To date we have had 22 different samples pegged up! The one in the top right corner is currently our favourite. But we got new curtains from Hillarys, and they mucked up the making and fitting of them. Hey are coming back Monday to let us pick new ones as these are so poor quality and badly made. So we may go for more colour which will open up options for the wallpaper?

View attachment 908642
Thanks for the advice. The wife and I are braving IKEA shortly so I'm hoping to find the various parts when I get there (that's if I don't get lost). Quite like the wallpaper but I personally think it looks better with out!

I think the economy of scale kicks in. They sell many more of the small units than the wide unit.

The only difference in cost should be in the carcass cost as the doors etc cost the same regardless. 180cm wide 38cm tall carcass costs £55, the individual 60cm wide carcasses are £15 each (so £45 total). If you get a more significantly different price than that it will probably be because the package cost includes parts you didn't want (like legs and rear support brackets). You can expand the package on the website and it shows you the part numbers included.

The wide carcasses can be bought without a package here:
64cm tall:
BESTÅ TV bench Black-brown 180x40x64 cm - IKEA
38cm tall:
BESTÅ TV bench Black-brown 180x40x38 cm - IKEA

The all in one wide unit has a couple of features which are nice / useful (cable management between the sections and through the top surface / back section) and it does look a little better than the individual units as you have a continuous top surface / no joins between units.
Brilliant! That's really helpful, I'll check the site out before heading to IKEA. All going well I'll have my own progress post up in the next month or so.

You can download the Besta buying guide in advance here:
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/doc/ikea-bestå-pdf__1364420164937.pdf
And if you want to bypass Ikea's cranky search, you can just put part numbers from the guide into the search function and get taken straight to the item :)

That's made a life 100% easier and looking at the results my store has all the parts, so thanks again. Any ideas as to how to mount the unit to the floating wall? Ikea states the Besta suspension rail is not suitable for the TV bench. I'm looking to get a joiner in so this may be something he can advise on.

That's made a life 100% easier and looking at the results my store has all the parts, so thanks again. Any ideas as to how to mount the unit to the floating wall? Ikea states the Besta suspension rail is not suitable for the TV bench. I'm looking to get a joiner in so this may be something he can advise on.
I’d be careful with that. It is pretty heavy and large and is rated for a lot of equipment that TV Bench.

I’d be careful with that. It is pretty heavy and large and is rated for a lot of equipment that TV Bench.
The manual for the bench is here:
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/doc/assembly_instructions/bestå__aa-1402080-5_pub.pdf
It is designed to be wall mountable, but like anything going on the wall you need to be sure the wall can take it. It comes with 4 fixings I recall, one for each of the uprights.

The single unit weighs 22.85kg. The individual units joined together weigh 7.44*3=22.32kg. Not really any difference between the two. Though if you go for the individual ones you'd get 6 fixings (2 per unit) instead of 4 total. Obviously doors and shelves add to that weight.

There isn't anything to stop you adding the extra 2 fixings to the wide unit if you can get the IKEA customer services to give you them. If you need some I have tons of Besta spare hardware in a bag so let me know and I can send them for postage tokens.

I originally bought the rails, only to find out I couldn't use them.

Luckily mine is fixed to a solid internal brick wall. I have used the 4 supplied right angle brackets (added an extra screw to make 3 longer screws in each) and used M10 Rawlplug bolts into the wall. It's not going anywhere soon.

Really tempted to go down the Besta route myself, but like a lot of these cabinets, it's not deep enough for my Pioneer receiver.

I guess I could cut away the back on one section and let it dangle out the back by a couple of inches... would probably help with ait circulation too.

Really tempted to go down the Besta route myself, but like a lot of these cabinets, it's not deep enough for my Pioneer receiver.
If you can live with the limited colour choice and carcass sizes (no 38cm tall units), then the STUVA range of carcasses (for kids bedrooms) has a useful extra 10cm depth, and appears to be able to take the BESTA series doors.

I guess I could cut away the back on one section and let it dangle out the back by a couple of inches... would probably help with ait circulation too.

I had to cut the back to fit my Denon to fit, worked a treat

I originally bought the rails, only to find out I couldn't use them.

Luckily mine is fixed to a solid internal brick wall. I have used the 4 supplied right angle brackets (added an extra screw to make 3 longer screws in each) and used M10 Rawlplug bolts into the wall. It's not going anywhere soon.

Right, I'll pass this info on to my joiner and he can get cracking ;) thx again

If you can live with the limited colour choice and carcass sizes (no 38cm tall units), then the STUVA range of carcasses (for kids bedrooms) has a useful extra 10cm depth, and appears to be able to take the BESTA series doors.

Only just spotted your reply... that's really useful, thank you. :)

They look a tad flimsier than Besta, but three of them firmly bolted together might be just what I'm looking for.

Only just spotted your reply... that's really useful, thank you. :)

They look a tad flimsier than Besta, but three of them firmly bolted together might be just what I'm looking for.
I don't think there is any difference on a like for like basis as I have them in my boy's bedroom and I have besta in the lounge. But the 3 wide TV units do look a bit chunkier than the singles due to the double width uprights between the sections.

Hey guys I know this is an old thread but it seems that the single 180cm Besta is a good option. But like everyone else I’m worried about depth as my AV stand now is 45cm deep and the dials of my Denon stick out. If you cut the back out of the Besta does it lose rigidity?

Nope, the back is not structural. It’s is there for asthetics and can be left off entirely if required. I cut mine so that you wouldn’t see all the way through the unit to the wall behind

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom