Ikasu - Cheap, but does anyone know anything about their TVs?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Gasman2, Apr 25, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Gasman2

Gasman2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for a cheap Freeview LCD TV for occasional use in the bedroom, to replace a very old, cheap 14" portable, that still works, but has to be re-tuned every time it's turned on!

I've come across a couple of TV's from Ikasu - a 15" & a 17", both with built in Freeview, at prices of about £125 & £140 respectively. This seems very cheap!

I'm not looking for the best quality - but do want something that is reasonable - but as it will only get used perhaps once a week or even less, there's not much point paying any more than necessary!

Any thoughts or suggestions on these TV's or others to consider, greatly appreciated. Ideally, with built in Freeview.

2. Radio_Daze

Radio_Daze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Don't know about the TV, but I've just got an Ikasu 160 gig PVR from price-drop tv. Works pretty well, but manual is utter rubbish.

3. fish99

fish99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I realize this is an old thread, but I thought it would be worth posting anyway in case anyone searches for Ikasu.

I bought an 8.4" Ikasu widescreen LCDTV with integrated Freeview for around £80 from ebay at christmas. I bought it for a bedroom - I often watch a bit of TV in bed when falling asleep (it helps me sleep actually) and it seemed like a waste of power to have my 32" LG switched on using 140W for that. The Ikasu uses just 13W and it has a sleep timer, so ideally suited.

So what's it like. Well it does work, and so does the freeview. It's not a quality device though by any means. Firstly build quality - there's stong backlight leakage along the top of the screen which you can see all the time not just on dark scenes. Second the panel has the worst viewing angles you've ever seen (especially vertically) and very low contrast (probably under 100:1) so the black depth is awful even by LCD standards. The angle the remote work from is also very limited.

There's also a problem with the freeview in that it can't differentiate between channels which share the same slot, so for instance if you scan at 10 am it will find Gems TV and not Film 4, if you scan at 3 pm it will find Film 4 and not Gems TV (this doesn't limit what you can watch, just the channel list is incomplete and you won't realize some channels exist). Not a big issue really, just an annoyance.

There's a few other minor issues - not being able to adjust the tilt without undoing a screw, which is a problem given the awful viewing angles, plus although the screen has a 4:3/16:9 mode setting (but no auto btw) it takes about 7 remote control presses to change it. I also find the minimum volume too loud and the speakers are predictably poor.

It is watchable though, and it does fundamentally function. I would advise spending more and getting something better, but there's so little chioce when you get under 15" that you may not be able to.

4. Bazza73

Bazza73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the 15" tv. Bought it 2 years + ago. No problems - been using it as both pc monitor and ord.tv
    Go ahead & buy it.